Weekend Freedom Machines banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I wonder if you could hook up to the pto with something like this View attachment 275171
That probably would have been a cheaper rout to go ... but it turns out the pto quick connect coupler for a 420/430 is the same size and spline as the 400. Got everything up and running Saturday and everything worked great( minus one bone head mistake) I forgot to put the keeper in the pin that holds the ram on and the blower stopped going up and down but that was luckily an easy fix. Looking at adding the rubber flaps to the impeller hoping that helps with the snow that seems to just fall out on top of the snowblower. If that doesn鈥檛 make it run more satisfactory then ill look at re gearing the snowblower to better match the pto speed of the 400

Registered
I'm sure the rubber flaps made a big difference on my model 50 thrower. I put them on before ever using it so I don't actually know how well it would have worked without them. But I know what throwers with no paddle mod are like. I intentionally put the flaps on the wrong side of the paddles because there was welding slag on the other side. Was gonna be a PITA to grind it out and I was in a bit of a hurry because I wanted to get after the snow that had fallen the night before. So I used a couple pieces of flat aluminum about 4" x 6" to sandwich the flaps between them and the paddles to stiffen the rubber up, same as a squeegee. Was intended as a temporary thing but it worked great. Never had the blower plug once in well over a decade. It would even throw slushy snow at half throttle without clogging up.

So then last winter instead of sticking with the well proven adage 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' I got ambitious and cleaned up the slag and put the flaps on the correct side. Plugged the blower twice last winter after that. Not enough snow yet this year to know if it's gonna keep doing that. If it does I'll put the flaps back where they were and see how it goes. I don't know why the heck it would matter though. The way I had it before the metal pieces got bent back a little bit right away but the flaps were long enough to drag quite a bit on the tub when they went around. They shaped themselves to match the tub where they rubbed. Maybe that helped it work better. Or maybe it's just a coincidence it plugged after I changed it.

This paddle mod pic is when I was cobbling things together the first time. Hadn't straightened up the aluminum piece and tightened up the bolt yet. You can see it wasn't used much before I got it and never sat outside. It's got a over dozen years on it now though.
Bumper Wood Asphalt Road surface Rolling

Looking at adding the rubber flaps to the impeller hoping that helps with the snow that seems to just fall out on top of the snowblower.

Registered
That probably would have been a cheaper rout to go ... but it turns out the pto quick connect coupler for a 420/430 is the same size and spline as the 400. Got everything up and running Saturday and everything worked great( minus one bone head mistake) I forgot to put the keeper in the pin that holds the ram on and the blower stopped going up and down but that was luckily an easy fix. Looking at adding the rubber flaps to the impeller hoping that helps with the snow that seems to just fall out on top of the snowblower. If that doesn鈥檛 make it run more satisfactory then ill look at re gearing the snowblower to better match the pto speed of the 400
A little FYI. The PTO quick connect from a JD 2210 fits our 400's. Used it on my 54c deck conversion to my 400.

Registered
I have two parts snowblowers with gearboxes. One was on a 400, the other was on a 650.

Registered
Both are input right angle gearboxes that connects to pto and drives chain on the left side of the snow thrower.

Page 4 in following link ... Model 50 Snow Thrower ... Southwest Wisconsin

This one I would prefer to sell complete assembly as pictured. The other snow thrower is just the gear box.

Attachments

Registered
Nope ... don't have what you need. Good luck finding one.

Gabby

21 - 33 of 33 Posts