Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I have another question about my 49 blower on my 318. I am having trouble with the belt coming off. It only does it under heavy load. Blowing light snow it is fine. The tensioner pulley had been replaced with I got it, but I wonder if the tensioner spring could be weak causing the problem. I do have the Honda 18 in my tractor with the new PTO clutch that came with it, but it seems the belt is coming off the blower pulley not the clutch. I have a JD belt, but I wonder if it is the correct one. Do any of you know what the correct belt part number is?

Anybody else running a Honda 18hp 318 with a blower? If so, any belt problems?

Any help will be appreciated.

P.S. It blows snow like no tomorrow if I could just keep the belt on it.

Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
203 Posts
Bob: I repowered my 318 with the 24 hp Honda. I believe the belt you need is M82719 and I have had no trouble with the belt coming off mine. And, I am VERY happy with my set-up..

(Message edited by tv4fish on December 05, 2005)

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thomas, Did you use your existing PTO clutch off the 18 hp you replaced? The new 18 hp Honda came with a PTO clutch. I need to check it........I wonder if it is a smaller diameter. Also I wonder about the alignment of the clutch pulley to the blower pulley.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi Bob: Yes, I had to re-use my clutch as the 24 hp did not come with a new clutch as your 18 hp. did - however, I would be surprised if your new one is smaller than the original - my guess is you may need a new tensioner spring. (PS-I'm assuming you got your kit from SEW?)

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did get the kit from SEW. I bought a new tensioner spring today.....I know the mechanic at the JD dealer here pretty well and he wonders if there is an alignment issue from the clutch pulley to the blower. I'm going to check it tonight. I had him check and the 318 clutch pulley is 7" dia.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Hey Bob, also check and make sure the tensioner pulley is aligning properly with the PTO and blower pulleys - it needs to be able to slide along the pivot shaft. As another thought, check the tensioner pulley itself and make sure it is spinning freely - I think it's on a sealed bearing but they don't last forever. I had a rough bearing in my mule drive that took me a while (and 2 long, very expensive belts) to find.

Tim

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found the problem.....the alignment of the two pulleys was off by about a 1/2". Evidently, the PTO clutch on the Honda is roughly 1/2" farther forward then it was on the Onan. I pulled the pulley off the blower shaft and cleaned the shaft and pulley up. Also cleaned the key. The tensioner pulley was replaced by my dad last winter so it was fine. I did clean and lubricate the pivot and replaced the tensioner spring. Put everything back together, aligned it and it is working great. The original JD belt is a little too long I thought so I replaced with another belt about a 1/2" shorter. The Honda pulley is 7-1/2" in diameter......I wonder if the motor shaft sits lower than the Onan? Everything seems to be working great now.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bob, I would love to hear how that blower works with the Honda. I have a new 24 Hp in mine. Does it blow the snow any further? My old man has the stock Onan in his with a 49 blower and cab on. I would love to have a blow-off at Christmas break when I'll be home.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haven't had much of a chance to try it. We have had two snows so far - 2" one time and 4" another. It has plenty of power. I blew the stuff at the end of the driveway where the city snowplow had pushed it up and I could go through it no problem. I never blew snow with the Onan so I can't tell you if it blows any farther. All I know is that I am more than happy with the 18hp Honda.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello,
Just wondered if the LX279 is supposed to idle somewhat faster than other mowers. I have adjusted the throttle cable to no avail. I am thinking they have the idle set a little fast to help with cooling the radiator. Hope this makes sense. Any and all help appreciated. I sure have learned a lot from everyone on this site.
Thanks, Dwayne

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.