Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought this model 50 snow thrower in Minnesota a couple weeks ago.
  • Serial number G050H400561M
  • H in s/n makes it a 1979 manufacture date
  • Unit is in rough shape. Unsure if it will be restored or scrapped. I don't like scrap these early machines but they are expensive to restore and difficult to recoup restoration costs.
  • Sheet metal parts are rusty and damaged. Some of the parts will be reworked for restoration. Some will be replaced with parts from a another parts model 50 I have.
  • Auger is locked ... have not investigated cause.
  • Don't know condition of gear box.
  • Skid shoes are wore but can weld wear material to the shoes to reuse.
  • Cutting edge appears to be in good condition.
  • Mount is oily and needs cleanup but appears to be in good condition.
  • Chute has a plate added to inside ... ??
  • Hydraulic rotator cover is pretty rusty. Unsure of condition of parts under the cover.
Photos show condition.
DSCN1465.JPG DSCN1450.JPG DSCN1452.JPG DSCN1454.JPG DSCN1455.JPG DSCN1458.JPG DSCN1463.JPG

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Removed the hydraulic chute rotator. This will be restored. If not used on this model 50 it will be added to a model 49 I will be restoring for a 140 H3 tractor. The assembly is in rough shape like the rest of the snow thrower.
  • Cover has significant rust and both flanges that contain the mounting holes are cracked in the 90° bends. They will need weld repair before prepping for paint.
  • Both cables were broke and will need replacement.
  • Don't know how the cable sheaves got bent up. The two outside sheaves I feel I can straighten and reuse. The middle sheave is completely flattened. $27.84 each replacement cost. I found a sheave from an earlier restoration I can use to replace the one that is damaged.
  • Middle sheave is soaking in PB Blaster so I can remove pin.
  • Mounting bracket is heavily pitted fut is solid and can be reused. It is hidden under the cover.
  • AM31362 hydraulic cylinder is used to rotate the chute. Quite a few rust spots on the cylinder rod. I steel wooled the rod before I collapsed the stroke to drain the oil. Unsure of condition of cylinder.
This assembly will be restored and then the cylinder will be evaluated to determine if it needs service.
DSCN1487.JPG DSCN1488.JPG DSCN1489.JPG DSCN1492.JPG DSCN1483.JPG DSCN1484.JPG DSCN1485.JPG DSCN1486.JPG DSCN1477.JPG DSCN1481.JPG

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Took the chain cover off the snow thrower. Chain and sprockets are in good condition. There was a stick wedged between auger and shell. Removed the twig.

Bad news. Auger rocks back and forth. So does the driveshaft between gear box and drive sprocket. But the knuckle attached to the gearbox does not move. Stuck a long screwdriver in the knuckle. Doesn't move. Afraid the gearbox is locked up..

Still does not mean I will not restore the snow thrower. I have a gear box on the parts model 50.

Next thing, I think I will remove the mounting bracket. Gearbox is attached to this mount. Then I can go into the gearbox.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are a couple more photos.
  • chain and sprockets are oiled and look pretty good compared to the rest of the snow thrower
  • Right side of the auger hit something hard. Could be what took out the gearbox.
  • Twig that was wedged between auger and shell.
  • removed the shield in front of the impeller. Not worth saving. Bent and broken.
  • Locking coupler on right side bearing looks like it will be a bear to remove. Left side ?
DSCN1498.JPG DSCN1501.JPG DSCN1499.JPG DSCN1500.JPG

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Bad news. Auger rocks back and forth. So does the driveshaft between gear box and drive sprocket. But the knuckle attached to the gearbox does not move. Stuck a long screwdriver in the knuckle. Doesn't move. Afraid the gearbox is locked up..
Yeah it sounds like it Gabby. Could be the gearbox bearings seized up? Haven't done a blower gearbox but I've rebuilt a couple deck gearboxes. One had bearings that were so bad the cages were coming apart and the shaft would barely turn. The oil was all gone from a leaky seal on the pulley shaft. The gears were still good though so I caught it in time. If I remember correctly it cost about a hundred bucks for all new bearings and seals.

I bet that auger doesn't have the original shear pin. I run a regular 3/16 coarse thread bolt/nut on mine. It shears off easily but it's very easy to replace and cheap insurance against busting anything else.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Auger should have original p/n shear pin. There are 4-5 shear pins in storage holes on the mounting frame. I don't remember seeing pin on the auger.

The mounting frame is very oily so could be input shaft seal leaked causing gearbox failure. Only way I will find out is to tear it apart.

I rebuilt one model 49 gearbox that was used on a gravel drive and wedged a stone. Took some teeth out of one of the gears. Different gearbox from model 50 though.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yesterday I took the Sawzall to the pin on the slide assembly on the chute rotator. All tore apart.
  • Center cable sheave is probably scrap. I was able to press the pin and bushing out. Pin is definitely scrap. (first 2 photos)
  • Third photo shows all the hydraulic rotator parts except 2 hoses and the cables
  • 4th & 5th photos are all the slide assembly parts ... 5th adds AM31362 cylinder. Sheaves have been straightened and are ready for clean up/paint. Bracket also ready for cleanup/paint. The cylinder has rust on the rod. Used steel wool to clean up the rod. Did this to reduce risk of damaging seal. It will also be cleaned up and painted. May need repaint if cylinder is damaged and needs service, For know just cleaning everything to get it ready to install on my model 49.
  • Last photo is the mounting plate and cover. The mounting plate is highly pitted, cover has mucho rust and needs some weld repair. Will use rust reformer on both of these. Never sanded the rust reformer before but will do it on the cover to see if it will improve appearance.
Hopefully today some of the parts will get cleaned up and rust reformer added. I believe 2 days cure time.
DSCN1505.JPG DSCN1506.JPG DSCN1504.JPG DSCN1507.JPG DSCN1510.JPG DSCN1512.JPG

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Todd has sandblaster in his shop. He is going to sand blast mounting plate and cover and do some weld repair. When I get the parts back they will be ready for paint. He has done a lot of work for me this week. Need to figure out a way to pay him. He won't accept money. I have an old Miller AC stick welder that does not work properly. He thinks he can fix it. Will probably give it to him. He will allow me to use it if needed. He does not have a stick welder and admits there are situations where stick welders work better than wire feed.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Man that 50 has had a tough life Gabby.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it has. From the amount of rust I think it saw a lot of use in salt conditions and not cleaned after use. Shell is not rusted thru but most of the exterior parts have significant rust. No snow over night so maybe today I can get the gearbox off and see why it is locked.

·
Registered
801 Posts
There's a fairly long road ahead to bring that 50 back to life. Good luck. I wonder how one would clean a thrower after use. My hose is frozen all winter.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
There's a fairly long road ahead to bring that 50 back to life. Good luck. I wonder how one would clean a thrower after use. My hose is frozen all winter.
The general idea to “clean” a snowblower or plow is to use it to clear the end of the driveway first, then clear the rest of the snow that doesn’t have any salt in it.

Reactions: gabby_in_wis

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The driveway at pick up location was in a wooded area around a lake. The driveway had an incline to get down into the house/garage area and when I was there it was completely ice covered. It did not appear like owner used salt to clear the ice. His wife drove a Toyota car and drove out with ease. I looked in 4wd going and coming out. She did take a run at it where I creeped in and out. Owner had a compact tractor he was using for snow removal. I know it it did not have snow blower but don't remember if blade or just the loader. He still had Deere 400 for sale this snow thrower was used on.

I suspect I will not restore this snow thrower due to its condition but I do have what I believe is a model 46 parts unit. Same attachment with different mounts for 655/755 tractors. It is not as rusty and better condition. Unsure if I can combine the two to make one. Ironically some parts from model 49 will work on this snow thrower and vice versa.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
That's a good point. I honestly never gave it any thought before. My road used to be gravel but it's paved now and they use lots of salt. I don't see any whitish residue on the blower tub or the chute after it melts off and dries though.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
The general idea to “clean” a snowblower or plow is to use it to clear the end of the driveway first, then clear the rest of the snow that doesn’t have any salt in it.
I've been doing that accidentally Homie (may I call you Homie? heh heh). Not to clean the blower. I always make the first pass to the road, then clean out the end of the driveway and go back to blowing out the rest of it and the parking area.

Reactions: MiniHomesteader

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I've been doing that accidentally Homie (may I call you Homie? heh heh). Not to clean the blower. I always make the first pass to the road, then clean out the end of the driveway and go back to blowing out the rest of it and the parking area.
That’s also how I clear my driveway.

I had to laugh, this past weekend, one of the wife’s friends stopped over at the house and her husband looked at me, then my 500’+ driveway and then asked me if the township clears it. I said nope... I shovel it. His eyes got huge! I laughed and then showed him my tractor collection.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
That’s also how I clear my driveway.

I had to laugh, this past weekend, one of the wife’s friends stopped over at the house and her husband looked at me, then my 500’+ driveway and then asked me if the township clears it. I said nope... I shovel it. His eyes got huge! I laughed and then showed him my tractor collection.
I did a long driveway like your's one night with a county plow truck. Was out doing the roads in a storm. Some old lady called the dispatch office and said she couldn't get out to take her husband to the hospital. So I cleaned out her driveway, which was a big no-no with county equipment. Found out later she actually went to bingo night. That was almost 40 years ago but I'm still kinda mad at her.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Back on topic, was going to go pick up cover and base plate today but had a visit from former co-worker. Tomorrow I will pick up the parts and at least spray them with primer, the cover will probably get powder coated. Base plate is hidden under cover so paint is good enough,

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are correct. However the cover is sandblasted and will quickly rust if not protected. Primer should blow off easily if I do end up powder coating the part. Or zip striip will clean the paint off fast.

Reactions: MiniHomesteader
1 - 20 of 46 Posts