Weekend Freedom Machines banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Gabby,
I have not done this, but other members have described moving the gearbox forward to make use of an 8" driveshaft (from a JD 420) in place of the 6-1/4" driveshaft that came with the Model 50, JD 400 blower. Did the Driveline folks consider using an H-type center double yoke, as is mentioned in the accompanying thread on the Model 50 driveshaft? If you are planning to use the mounting on a JD 400, a rod that runs from side to side will be problematic during installation of the unit as I recall that the rod bumps into the PTO pulley. The mounting in Kevin's pictures with short rods or 5/8" bolts on each side will work for mounting on both the JD 400 and JD 420. (Note that the long rod works just fine on the JD 420).
Harold

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Thanks for your input Jake & Harold.

Harold, in the back of my mind I was wondering about the rod interfering with the driveshaft but never thought about the conflict with the pto pulley. The bracket is already at shop for rework so I will proceed with the full length rod and if need be it can be modified. Bottom line is I do not own a 400 but am refreshing a 420. I am however trying to keep it usable on a 400 in case I put it up for sale.

There is an AM36610 (400 driveshaft) for sale on Ebay right now but bid price is already over $200. I'm not comfortable paying that price for a used driveshaft.

When I was at Drive Line they looked up H-center yoke. With new yokes (one splined and one keyed fit with set screw) overall length was 7 1/2 inches. Apparently the H-double yoke is NLA and they came up with this round double yoke like the 420 but is about and inch shorter than the 420 driveshaft. Either way I am sure cost will be $200 plus but at least it is new and warranted. Waiting to see if Drive Line can come up with any other options.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Hadn't heard from Drive Line in a while so called them this morning. Still do not have a replacement. Will give them another week. Then the snow thrower will become a parts machine.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Time to visit Drive Line again to see what they have found to replace/repair the driveshaft . If they do not have anything for me I think I will stop looking and part out the snow thrower.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Picked up AM36610 driveshaft from Drive Line today. They were unable to locate repair/replacement parts to rebuild the driveshaft. I do not have a 400 tractor so the model 50 snow thrower is of no use to me. I guess I will be parting it out unless some want me to rebuild it for them. Rebuild would of course have driveshaft with loose knuckles.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Brought the mounting plate home today. Instead of welding in the rod Denny ground off welds to remove original pegs then installed rod with washers and cotter keys. This will be fine for now. Started painting up the mounting bracket. When finished I will probably mount the gearbox back on the bracket along with the two drive shafts.
DSCN1639.JPG DSCN1640.JPG DSCN1641.JPG

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Multi-tasking today.

Most of the mount is reassembled.
  • I need to paint the short drive shaft (AM36610) but first need to drill and tap for a set screw to clamp down on top of the woodruff key.
  • There is wear in shaft and yoke and hoping set screw (lock-tited) will eliminate vibration.
  • shield over output yoke to chain drive needs paint
  • need to find or make a cover for AM36610 driveshaft. Both of these covers were damaged on original mount.
DSCN1666.JPG DSCN1667.JPG DSCN1669.JPG

61 - 67 of 67 Posts