Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Longtime listener, first time caller here...Appreciate the wealth of knowledge in this community, and hope I can contribute as my experience grows.

I stumbled on a brass tag model 80 cart today. I know I got an amazing deal, but not sure how amazing. Thought I would throw pics up and get some feedback. Planning on doing a full restoration and keeping the cart to use with my 322. I currently use an 18 cart with it. Everything but the bottom of the tailgate is surface rust. The tailgate is rusted thru, but it's there. I payed $40.00. Thoughts on value now and once restored?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Worth your $40, and can be repaired/rebuilt/restored. Good luck with it and kep us posted on its progress

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Most definitely worth it. I paid $50 for mine and the bed and tailgate are shot

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Worth what you paid and represents a lot of work to put it back to decent user shape. The brass tag only really adds to a cart in collectable shape, but all 80 carts are great workers and an asset to have in the herd. Here is my 1968 brass tag cart (those had E0900 type numbers) that I picked up for $100 as I recall, plus a highly modified cart that had about three and a half the bed capacity...paid $25 for that one, and called it a "280".
80 cart - rails straight, light surface rust.jpg 80 cart - tailgate view 1.jpg

280 cart front view.jpg 280 cart left side view.jpg

You can still get the ribbed tires appropriate for this cart from Carlisle.

Chuck

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Chuck said it all. Didn't leave anything for me to add.

Have fun with the restoration ... Gabby

·
Registered
169 Posts
I recently bought one just like it. I think I paid $50 bucks. It was in the same condition. I did water/sand blast it as much as I dared but it didn't clean up real well. The rust was too deep. I got a coat of paint on it and new tires so structure wise it's as good as new. Just a rough paint job. I intend to use it as it was intended and not so much a show piece so I'm fine with it as is. The tail gate is still as I bought it . I won't toss it but it's far down on m list of Deere things to do. Still looking for the original decals which seem to be hard to find these days.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
HF sells "Rust Reformer" in a spray can that neutralizes rust and fills pits. It is advertised that it is sandable after the spray cures. I am just repeating what it says on the can. I have never sanded it. It might be a good project to try it on and report back to members ,,, Gabby

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I’ve used the Rust Reformer in spray cans and in gallon form. I must say, I’m not at all impressed with the spray can form. The gallon form works great, but I’ve had the spray stuff flake off... It’s noticeable while applying as well. The gallon(I’ve brushes on and sprayed on with a HVLP gun) changes colors depending if it’s on top of clean metal(purple) or rust (black). The spray can just looks to me like black primer.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Nate, I have never used gallon container formulation. Did you get it at HF? You are correct about black appearance; can't say I've seen the purple but I am color blind.

I use wire brush in a die grinder to clean up surfaces and have not had the issue of spray on application flaking. Rust Reformer was just a suggestion.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I recently bought one just like it. I think I paid $50 bucks. It was in the same condition. I did water/sand blast it as much as I dared but it didn't clean up real well. The rust was too deep. I got a coat of paint on it and new tires so structure wise it's as good as new. Just a rough paint job. I intend to use it as it was intended and not so much a show piece so I'm fine with it as is. The tail gate is still as I bought it . I won't toss it but it's far down on m list of Deere things to do. Still looking for the original decals which seem to be hard to find these days.

I believe Hapco parts sell's 80 cart decals. Look under "Decal Kits" on there website.

Reactions: gabby_in_wis

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Nate, I have never used gallon container formulation. Did you get it at HF? You are correct about black appearance; can't say I've seen the purple but I am color blind.

I use wire brush in a die grinder to clean up surfaces and have not had the issue of spray on application flaking. Rust Reformer was just a suggestion.
I purchased the can rust reformer at my local Ace Hardware. When the wife and I restored cars for a living, we used the gallon rust reformer (got it from Grainger). So when it came time to restore my 110, I picked up the cans since I didn’t need a lot, and the gallon was around $100. Same prep work here. Wire brush or cookie pad on a die grinder. I have a few spots that are flaking on my 110. Good thing it’s a worker.

Reactions: gabby_in_wis

·
Registered
7 Posts
Longtime listener, first time caller here...Appreciate the wealth of knowledge in this community, and hope I can contribute as my experience grows.

I stumbled on a brass tag model 80 cart today. I know I got an amazing deal, but not sure how amazing. Thought I would throw pics up and get some feedback. Planning on doing a full restoration and keeping the cart to use with my 322. I currently use an 18 cart with it. Everything but the bottom of the tailgate is surface rust. The tailgate is rusted thru, but it's there. I payed $40.00. Thoughts on value now and once restored?

Thanks! View attachment 258406

View attachment 258400 View attachment 258401
I too have a brass tag Model 80. It’s been sitting in my basement for 15 years, time for a new owner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the thoughts...it'll be a worker. I'll rust bust it and put a decent working paint job on it. Will throw up some pics when done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts