Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plant Wood Motor vehicle Rectangle Gas

Wood Wall Line Floor Flooring

Friend of mine saw this in Oregon and thought I could use it. Actually, he saved it from turning into worm food.
I thought about finding wheels and fixing it up. That would cost a small fortune, not to mention I already have two and they are basically too small for my general use. I really like the black letters, though. The box is the worst, with holes throughout. The chassis has some serious pitting, but not enough to disable it.
first challenge, find wheels….

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tire Wheel Camouflage Automotive tire Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Green Motor vehicle

I have not a clue what these 6” wheels were from, but they had bearings instead of bushings. Turned out those bearings had the same OD as the bushings for a 80. The offset was close enough, almost too close lol. The length of the hub was a little too long so I decided to grind 1/4” from the hub on the front side and the use of a couple spacers, like the ones originally used.
The 6” wheel changes the pitch of the trailer when its on the 110. But, I will be using it with my atv which has a lower hitch, so it’s just right.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I know what you say about the 80 cart being too small. I use mine to make runs to the city compost area. Pull it with a heavy oil burning 120. Tractor is slow compared to my X720. I want a larger, heavier trailer but still a garden tractor trailer so I don't have to make as many trips. Looking for a Gator 6x4 bed at a reasonable cost.

Nice job resurrecting the dead ... Gabby

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
It looks like mine when I got it. The box itself was rusted but not through. The tailgate was shot and I still haven't gotten around to repairing it. I usually haul dirt in the thing. Sometimes tools but it's really not well suited for that, I think I'll extend the drawbar a bit making it easier to backup. Like most of us older guys, I have a hard time turning around in the seat when backing up. A load of heavy clay is about all I care to haul around in it. Unless you load it toward the rear, it's tough to dump. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking a hydraulic lift might be in its future. After I took the time to put rear hydro taps on the tractor, I haven't yet found a use for them.

It looks like you doing a good job. Joe

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After searching for original wheels for a couple years, I got 20 wheels for free recently. Different sizes and mostly pairs. Figured this was my best chance so far.
The original wheels are 8” and have a 3/4” offset on the inner side of hub. 3 1/8” length on the inner hub.
The 6” wheels here are exactly like what I used.
Photograph Plant Wood Automotive tire Tape measure

Eye Automotive tire Tire Wood Road surface

they are 3 1/4” through the hub with 1” offset.
here is an original wheel for reference:
Ruler Office ruler Tool Tape measure Wood

I went with a 7/8” offset with a shim/washer, which required the outer hub to be ground down.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

It appears someone didn’t think it’d ever see another mile. Anyone who has one and actually uses it, knows they die hard. Even if left full and wheels removed. The frames are solid as can be.
I really haven’t modified any original piece. Other than sand blasting and powder coating the frame, it’s still the same. I even found a use for the old box. It’s not quite done working, yet. I have dumped piles of gravel next to the driveway, down lower so I can gravel by hand when it’s icy. The pile needs to stay covered and dry or it gets rock hard. Now, this box is perfect for holding the gravel.

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Wood

Green Road surface Rectangle Asphalt Grass

You can see I got all the bolts out. Amazing to me that they were all still useable, minus a lock washer-lol. Looks like it was stored with the back end in the dirt.

·
Registered
1989 318
1,384 Posts
I like what you created, quite cool! Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts