Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have taken the 44 loader and frame off the 430 to paint the frame and make life easier as I work on it. I thought that I had a hose leak on the power steering hydraulic cylinder, but it turns out that the cylinder itself is leaking. Can I rebuild the cylinder, or do I have to find another one?

I set the gap on the PTO to .018 because it was rattling and sometimes quitting on me. After setting the gap, I drove it with the PTO engaged, but no equipment attached to it. It sounds like bearing noise WHEN THE PTO IS OFF. Didn't notice any noise when it is engaged. It also cuts out sometimes and seems to do it while moving or turning left. I left it idle with the PTO engaged for 10 minutes and it didn't cut out.

Replaced the block heater by purchasing just the heating unit. It didn't work and leaked around the mounting for it. Had to make my own gasket for the mounting fixture and it still is leaking around the bottom. I guess I need to make another gasket. Is there a pre made gasket for the heater mount?

Is there any way to take the grill and screen off without removing the 44 loader frame? this is another reason I took the entire frame off. To clean the screen and radiator.

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
The cylinder must be cut open to repair a leak. It been done by this with tools.

The pto bearing is bad, there is an intolerant brake that makes the bearing work. Fix it before the coil becomes collateral damage.

I'm sure others can complete my answers and your questions.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
a good hydraulic shop can rebuild the steering cylinder

PTO cutting out when turning could be a loose wire

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
PTO cutting out when making a turn..... Ie bad connection, check connections all the way back, including ignition key switch, seat switch, power connector for PTO.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Photobob,
I've rebuilt a half-dozen 430 steering cylinders. Typically involves cutting off the rod end gland and opening up to get at the piston, rod and all seals. As a rule, I replace the rod which involves machining to fit the piston and welding on the rod end. If the tube is scored or rusted inside, it can cut off and a new tube off welded back on. Usually it makes sense to replace all the seals, both rod and piston. I have seen some 430 cylinders which did not have a rod wiper - if that is the case, its life will be limited so I machine a groove and install one.

I have a rebuilt 430 steering cylinder on the shelf now. $90 plus your old one for a core. PM for contact info.

Jim S.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jim, rebuilding the cylinder is beyond my capibilities, so I'll pm you for more info tomorrow. On my phone right now.
Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts