Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to put the snow blade on again, and I must be getting old. I don't remember it being this difficult. How doe everyone else do it. Do you hang the blade from a chain hoist? Engine hoist? Sky hook? Just kidding. Its an ugly lift alone, and without a good leverage point. I am looking for answers or do others have the same problem?

·
Banned
461 Posts
Jerry, I have my 54" blade sitting on a furniture dolly. I simply wheel it up to the front of the 318 and get the two lower pins into the hook slots (where the mule drive normally rests), hook up the hoses, pull back on and secure the upper lock pins in their retracted position, turn the key on, and slowly "lower" the blade. This pivots the bracket backward. Once the upper lock pins are over the side of the frame, I release them, continue to "lower" the blade until the lock pins snap into position. - Dave

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave, I appreciate the response. I made something similar to a furniture dolly, but alas, mine must be too low, as I still have to lift way too much to get the lower pins into the hook slots. Maybe I can build it up. Hmmmmm.

·
Banned
92 Posts
Jerry,
I basically do the same as Dave-except I kinda just drag the heavy $*b over to the tractor. One thing that will make it easier is if you take it off the tractor with the blade straight (not angled), it just pivots easier that way. The hard part I have is getting the hoses on right so the blade goes the way I 'think' it should move. I think what I do now is: the hose to the bottom of each cylinder goes to the right as I'm standing in front of the tractor.

Jon

·
Registered
122 Posts
Muscle it and see if you still have a pair.....Ha. I put mine on that way 3 weeks after knee surgery......I just rock the blade towards me and slip the bottom two points in and then lift it and pop the two spring pins.

I guess one of these days I am not going to be able to use the old barbarian strength any more.

Did the same technique with the snowblower on the 322. Just bought some colored hydraulic fittings so I can now remember what line goes where too.

All in all the dollie sounds like the way to go. I probably should have used my motorcycle lift that I bought for changing the rears on my tractors.

Anyway, be careful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't use a dolly or anything else. My 316 creeps when in neutral so i just muscle the blade out into the middle of the floor and pull the tractor up to it. I get off and pivot the blade back as the tractor creeps ever so slowly into the pins on the blade. I put a wire tie on one of the hydraulic hoses and one on the matching hoses so that I don't have to guess each time I hook up the hoses. I always get the right one. Then I use the hydraulic cylinder to push the bracket up so that the spring pins go into the holes. This way I don't have to lift the blade. I also use this technique with the 49 blower I have. It saves a lot of strain on my back (and hernia)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I came across a 425 sitting in an apartment parking lot. Guy wants $550 for it and says the engine and transmission are good shape. Deck is rusting through in a few areas and you can tell it's been sitting outside for a while. Took some pictures yesterday I'll post when I get them off my camera.

I've been seeing these go for upwards of $4000 in really good shape and just wondering if it would be worth buying. I really don't need it, as I have a good running 212 for mowing and snow removal and a MF GC2610 TLB for the heavier lifting, but thinking I could part it out. It has new tires and wheel weights. If I could get it for maybe $450 or even $500 I think I could easily recoup that.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Bring $500, hand it to him and smile all the way home. I spent 1200 for mine and that was without a deck and quite rusty, but it does run well and drive well, and I thought I got a pretty decent deal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.