Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of a Muffler for my 110. I'm not too interested in if it's period correct or not, I just need the quietest muffler I can get.

When I go to John Deere Parts it lists AM30280 for 127.97 but you can click for Alternative Parts. That brings up A-AM30280 for 46.19. Of course there are A&I versions in the mid $30 range available from other sources.

Does anyone know what the difference between the two is? I know the Hapco is reviewed well but it's been out of stock since April.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Those are reasonable prices from John Deere and its likely as quiet as you'll find. And fit the machine. I've found that the prices you see online are not always what the dealer will sell them to you for. I've tried many times to quiet those old engines down and never really found a quiet muffler. Hopefully if you do you'll post the results here.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ear plugs are cheap. Especially when you get them from work.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Alternative part is A&I. Perhaps TSC or Rural King have the muffler.
Please don't bore holes in the hood or frame to make it fit! Other than that, as I always say, John Deere don't make mufflers. Or most any other part for that matter. But they sure know how to charge for their packaging!

Reactions: jd140

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Who said anything about boring holes?

Here is a pic of the A&I muffler. Looks just like the JD part.

View attachment 267159
Farmer! Read the first post! Bookpiles! main criteria is "Quiet". "Period correct not important".
I was talking to him, not you. I have yet to see a quite replacement muffler for any of these older engines. (Not knowing exactly how quiet he needs it to be) So I assumed he is looking elsewhere too. And all to often you see tractor values destroyed with exhaust systems in any and all gyrations with holes cut wherever it may be convenient. As others were advising him to shop TSC or Rural King , in as short a way as possible I was advising not to hack the tractor to make it fit. I was not referring to your suggestion.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Who said anything about boring holes?

Here is a pic of the A&I muffler. Looks just like the JD part.

View attachment 267159
Farmer! Read the first post! Bookpiles! main criteria is "Quiet". "Period correct not important".
I was talking to him, not you. I have yet to see a quite replacement muffler for any of these older engines. (Not knowing exactly how quiet he needs it to be) So I assumed he is looking elsewhere too. And all to often you see tractor values destroyed with exhaust systems in any and all gyrations with holes cut wherever it may be convenient. As others were advising him to shop TSC or Rural King , in as short a way as possible I was advising not to hack the tractor to make it fit. I was not referring to your suggestion.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Yeeks! What happened there? This software does funny things sometimes. I have no idea why the repeated post.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No worries, I don't want to modify the tractor, I just meant I'm not concerned about the weld placement or shape of the end of the can like some people are. In fact I worked a long time to get the straight pipe and pepper pot off.

Playing around on JDParts more it appears that the $127 one is a Nelson. The $46 one is unknown but I'm guessing A&I. I don't mind spending the extra money if I knew the Nelson was that much quieter or would last that much longer. But I haven't been able to find any comparisons between the two. I think I'll gamble on the cheaper one.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
If the cheaper one is the muffler Farmer52 posted, fitment is an issue. It’s a snug fit on a 112, but it won’t fit my 110.
It is way quieter than a pepper pot muffler, but I’m not sure if hapco’s reproduction muffler is quieter or not.

A&I muffler on my 112

Pepper pot style that was on my 112 when I bought it. Super loud!!
I’m not sure if the Kohler is a quieter engine than the Tecumseh, but that tractor has the “correct” style muffler and iirc says Nelson on it. Not sure why I don’t have a pic of that tractor on my phone...

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
I replaced the muffler on a 16 hp K341 in a 316K with a Deere muffler. Noise reduction was unbelievable.. Advantage of Deere muffler is if you are unsatisfied, you return it. Try that with a non-Deere part.

·
Registered
684 Posts
The Nelson and the hapco muffler both are similar decibels. They do have a slightly different sound between the two though.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
I replaced the muffler on a 16 hp K341 in a 316K with a Deere muffler. Noise reduction was unbelievable.. Advantage of Deere muffler is if you are unsatisfied, you return it. Try that with a non-Deere part.
Replacing any old muffler that is blown out is likely to produce dramatic results. I think my first post was favorable to John Deere prices and parts. (In this case) And Bookpile wouldn't have any idea just how loud any new muffler would be until he installed it. I think that's what he wanted to know What would fit and how quiet is it? How loud an engine is a very subjective subject. Hell, after spending thirty years around aircraft all engines are relatively quiet to me. That being said, I wish mine was quieter.

And returns are dependent on the dealer. They are not always so obliging if the part has been mishandled or abused. If Bookpile stuck with his criteria that might be the case if he's not happy and wants to try another. If that's your criteria, shop Amazon. They take anything back. No questions asked. Just drop it off at Kohls.

No! I am not recommending that! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
A muffler goes on your car. Both the Silencer and the Suppressor are two terms for the same device.A a silencer is a made up thing movies use. a suppressor is a real thing that actually makes a gun sort of quieter but not even remotely silent or even quiet. A muffler is a car part.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
A muffler goes on your car. Both the Silencer and the Suppressor are two terms for the same device.A a silencer is a made up thing movies use. a suppressor is a real thing that actually makes a gun sort of quieter but not even remotely silent or even quiet. A muffler is a car part.
:LOL:
Reported as spam.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I just noticed Roy Parker listed a used Nelson muffler on ebay for $35 plus shipping. A bit cheaper than the $128 from Deere....

·
Registered
253 Posts
A&I does not manufacture parts (that I know). So the muffler offered by them and others is likely the same muffler manufactured by Nelson. Just a guess on my part.

Has anyone compared the JD muffler with the A&I muffler?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts