Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are the mule drive grease fittings located on a 318? I haven't had the tractor in the air yet, but if they are there, they are hiding well. The deck is still on it, as I am still vacuuming leaves here in NC. There is a sqeaking noise that seems to come from the front of the tractor, but not the PTO, and haven't been able to locate it yet. Any ideas?

Richard

·
Registered
571 Posts
Richard,

You will spend alot of time trying to find them since there are no zerks on the pulleys, except for the belt tension shaft. Mine 318 also makes a noise with the deck and mule drive removed. Seems to be in the front axle adjusting bolts. I originally thought it was the front pivot bolt and bushings. Changed them and still squeaks.

George of Buford

I was thinking of slapping some grease on them just for grins.

·
Banned
8 Posts
318's and 316's are noted for the squeak in front end, it is the front axle pivot pin and bore.
These can be drilled and tapped for a zerk, I drilled and cross drilled the pin itself, a little more difficult but No holes in housing this way.
jonsey

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I have to do some major work on this tractor this winter. Remove belly pan and rear fender pan to change hydro oil and filter, grease drive shaft and check bearings, Find a leak in the hydro system that refuses to show itself (losing a quart of hydro fluid every 20 hours, but no drips or oil slick on anything) clean the deck and sharpen the blades, clean the engine and check head torques, I just did a minor tune up on it, do some fiberglass work on the hood, and a little painting here and there. I'll look into drilling the center pin and adding a zerk during this time. Oh, and I'll need to check spindle bearings and replace if needed.

Richard

·
Registered
28 Posts
I need to put chains and wheel weights on an AWS 455. JD says use spacers. I just want to put the rear wheels/tires from my 210 on.

I've got one on now to test fit. Center hole and bolt pattern appear to be identical. No rubbing at either end of steering range.

Just wondering if there is a compelling reason not to do this. Like is the different rear wheel offset going to put too much stress on the rear steering knuckle?

The rear wheel only sticks out about 2-1/2-3 inches more than the stock AWS rear wheel.

Has anyone else tried this setup?

On a bigger ag tractor, you can move the rear wheels back and forth no problem. But a 455 ain't no ag tractor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.