Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I got the 3 point done I figure I should start I new thread of the other maintenance and repairs I'm doing.
Things still to do
1. Finish rebuilding the deck spindles (still soaking to get the c-clips out)
2.brake adjustment (not sure how to get the drums off to replace the shoes so hoping to get an adjustment out of them)
3.change fluids and filters
4.air cleaner and plug
5.replace seat
I'm sure more will come up but IL keep posting updates and pictures

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking at other post I see the drum brakes have an adjuster under the drum. Ok so now to figure out how to remove the drums. I took the bold off the end of the axle and tried hitting it lightly with hammer but nothing. I'd there something I am missing? I don't have a service manual so I'm figuring it out as I go

·
Registered
215 Posts
Depending on the year of your machine this may or may not apply (sn 30000+). You need a puller (like a steering wheel puller) to pull the drums. There should be a link to the manual around here.

You may look at whether you need any additional holes for the those rear grader brackets, I installed mine this spring and it had all the holes already. I had a little work as I have a sleeve hitch, but it was pretty painless. I even had to fab up the brackets, since none could be found when I set it up.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that. Ill look around for a service manual. As far as the grader brackets, the 3 point interferes with the space needed to get the blade latched on. IL take a picture when I get home to show what I mean

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is what I was saying before a out the grader mounts. The 2 bolts in the first picture is where the grader brackets bolt. but in the second picture you can see how the three-point bracket comes into the inside of the hitch plate blocking where the greater brackets need to be. so I'm just going to drill new holes right in front of the three-point basically moving the grater blade forward about 2 inches

Attachments

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
You got the wrong draft arms, the hook up mounts are different between closed and open framed tractors.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I was thinking. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and see about getting the correct draft arms. If not I believe I have some flat stock at the shop, I'll make new ones it I must

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the draft arms were supposed to have a slight bend to them. Kind of had to wedge them into place but got it mounted up with a new pto belt and hut the lawn. Boys let me tell you something about my John Deere 140, mowing beast. What a difference over the 110. Il post a picture tomorrow. Also I ordered a cat0 sleeve hitch adapter from ruegg so I'm basically ready for plow day

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I have 5 tractor projects in process right now so don't want to start another one. You are getting me excited about starting on my 1972 140 project but it will have to wait. I can see this winter is going to a busy one out in the garage. Glad the 140 is working well me you. I know the 110 was your go to tractor. I think you found its replacement.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ran the tiller on the 110 across my new garden plot about a month ago and backed it into the storage and haven't seen it since. I'm going to let it go if I can find a buyer for it all. Is like to sell it with all the attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also I found a 400 with a 60 inch deck that is in the shop now waiting for a new carb. Trying to run with you is a tough chore Gabby

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Good afternoon Matt. Always wanted a 400 but never ran across the right deal. I like to buy in multiples. Sellers are more willing to lower their asking price if you are taking 3 or 4 items off their hands. Some might call that lowballing but I do not. That is how I got 318/420/model 49 for $1100. The 420 I hope to have it running and reliable for less than $700. To make it really usable will be another $800 ... new 3ph and new tires. Not such a great deal anymore but condition of tractor is worth the increased asking price. If I was going to sell it that is.

Turning 70 here in a couple of months. I can tell I am slowing down. Don't like it but happening. I have to get some of these projects completed this winter so I can relax next summer. Rural property is a big project I need to get under control. I want to start using it as a comfortable campsite to spend evenings there. Want to get camper in the shed in the next couple of weeks. That will be a manor to do job completed ... Gabby

1 - 19 of 19 Posts