Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this tractor over a year ago, I knew I had no time for it but I wanted a round fender and the opportunity presented itself. Its been sitting in a barn under a tarp since I brought it home. The original owners manual came with it, there is a hand written maintenance log in it. The previous owner definitely had some troubles with the machine that make me concerned. The head gasket was replaced, then a few months later the head was replaced, and from the notes they never seemed to get it running again. That was in 1996. There was also a note about replacing broken gears in the transmission, sounds exciting.

Well, maybe I got more of a project than I wanted.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

First thing I noticed was the bare wires around the battery tray. I guess the key switch is bad, the yellow goes to the starter and the red with the spring clip supplies 12v to the coil. Judging by how deformed that yellow wire is, its been this way for some time. The wiring is just plain shot on this one. It does appear to have a newer voltage regulator, but it also seems to not be hooked up correctly. A problem for another day. The whole mess made me suspicious so I rigged up the hot wire and checked, yep there is good spark.

Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Machine Metal

Next was to check the fuel system. While the outside of the carb was very cruddy, the inside wasn't too bad. The fuel tank was empty and really pretty clean. However the sediment bowl was plugged full of corrosion and even had a hole in it, so it will be getting replaced.

Green Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

Wood Gas Machine Auto part Hardwood

From here, I wanted to see if it would at least pop off if I tried to start it. I verified the engine was free, checked the oil where there was not a drop showing on the dip stick so I filled it up. I put a battery in and gave the starter a bump. The engine cranks over, clearly building some compression, but the starter generator is barely rolling the crank. I pulled the starter generator apart and the brushes seemed decent, like they may have been replaced previously. One had a really bad wear pattern, there was a lip on one edge, but the wires on both were very brittle. Clearly it had been overheated. Which brings us to yesterday. I ordered a new set of brushes and bearing from isavetractors and put them in the old starter generator. It passed a bench test, hopefully I can find some time in the near future to put the starter back in and see if the engine will pop off.

Green Wood Bottle Automotive tire Gas

Cylinder Wood Gas Font Machine

·
Registered
1989 318
3,038 Posts
Wow, what a cool project1 You never know what you are getting into with these old girls. I like the way you documented 'new brushes' on the starter! I picked up a RF110 last year and have not done anything other that putting good rubber on it. It was a barn find, seller knew nothing of it's history.

Reactions: Andursun0013

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I never know how much time I'll have to spend on it but it'll eventually come around. I really want to get to a point I can mow with it. Not on a regular basis, but just have the option and then maybe see where that takes it.

This was being sold by the son of the original owner, he knew his dad really like the machine and kept it around for a while until he got tired of it being in the way I guess. He didn't know much about it, everything I have is old notes.

Reactions: MiniHomesteader

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
You’ll fall in love with that tractor and then have a whole herd of them. At least another one, anyways. That happens to the best of us.

Reactions: Andursun0013

·
Registered
1951 JD B, 1967 JD 110-Rf, 1969 JD 110-Sf custom, 1972 JD 110-Sf
465 Posts
I have a 1966 110 with the hydraulic lift. I too had to replace the headgasket. I wouldn't be intimidated by anything that has popped up so far. Looks like you know what you're doing and off to a great start. These are fairly easy and pretty fun to work on. I bought a service manual and it has really helped in my process of getting her up and running. In my opinion yours is a good candidate to be a survivor. I was on the band wagon to restore mine and get ag tires, but ended up just keeping it as is and using tubes. Either way it's yours and do what you like and have fun, as mentioned you'll have a whole herd real soon. Thanks for posting.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Over the last few weeks, I've had a few minutes here and there to tinker with the 112. The rebuilt starter rolls the engine over nicely. With a little determination, I was able to get it to fire for a very short time. The carb bowl leaks and there was an obvious bad head gasket (exhaust was being pushed out). While it was a bitter sweet realization, I at least have an engine that will run. Last night I popped off the head to take a look and to no surprise I found a very dirty, carboned up engine with a bad head gasket. The cylinder has some vertical marking, but nothing that I can feel or catch with my fingernail. I don't have bore gauges, and this isn't going to be a machine to see a much work. Each time I've tinkered with it, all the oil has drained out. I'm planning on a full gasket set, rings if I can find them, and a carb kit. I have a cylinder hone and I'll have to clean up the valves as well. I once had a small engine that far apart in high school Ag class, 20+ years ago now, I'm a little excited to see how it goes for me.

Automotive tire Gas Machine Audio equipment Auto part

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Tool Asphalt Gas

Water Automotive tire Gas Asphalt Grass

Automotive tire Fluid Water Cookware and bakeware Rim

·
Registered
1989 318
3,038 Posts
That is one nasty beast!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, very much so. I'm pretty sure the hydraulic pump was leaking, and the bad head gasket also probably didn't help. I have not way to really verify the pumps condition just yet. I cleaned it up (it was very dirty as well), but it was holding fluid in the tank.

Finding that much build up under the flywheel cover was surprising to me, since the documentation I have says the head gasket was changed previously. Maybe the previous owner got to use the machine more than I thought after that, or the previous head gasket repair did not include cleaning the debris out of the cooling fins.

·
Registered
1989 318
3,038 Posts
or the previous head gasket repair did not include cleaning the debris out of the cooling fins.
Yeah, that is a mess, poor little engine.

·
Registered
1951 JD B, 1967 JD 110-Rf, 1969 JD 110-Sf custom, 1972 JD 110-Sf
465 Posts
Over the last few weeks, I've had a few minutes here and there to tinker with the 112. The rebuilt starter rolls the engine over nicely. With a little determination, I was able to get it to fire for a very short time. The carb bowl leaks and there was an obvious bad head gasket (exhaust was being pushed out). While it was a bitter sweet realization, I at least have an engine that will run. Last night I popped off the head to take a look and to no surprise I found a very dirty, carboned up engine with a bad head gasket. The cylinder has some vertical marking, but nothing that I can feel or catch with my fingernail. I don't have bore gauges, and this isn't going to be a machine to see a much work. Each time I've tinkered with it, all the oil has drained out. I'm planning on a full gasket set, rings if I can find them, and a carb kit. I have a cylinder hone and I'll have to clean up the valves as well. I once had a small engine that far apart in high school Ag class, 20+ years ago now, I'm a little excited to see how it goes for me.

View attachment 276666

View attachment 276667

View attachment 276668

View attachment 276669
Glad to see you were able to work on er' even if it was just for a little bit. I thought mine was grimmy.........
Motor vehicle Green Wheel Automotive tire Tire

The whole bottom of the frame had an inch of oil, dirt, grass, grime caked on it.
Helmet Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim

I had a bad headgasket and a bunch of carbon build up.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system

The breather gaskets were bad and I think this was the source of the major leaks.
Green Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Wood

I thought also my pump leaked looking at the mess but found no indication either between the tank and lines.

Good luck going further in and keep us posted.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got my engine tore down today, I’m not sure what is going on. The piston skirt was smashed in pieces. There is also some steel in there that seems to be from from the cam. I’m into this for a set of rings and gasket kit at the moment. I’m debating cutting this off and bailing on the old Tecumseh. Any idea what’s missing/broken? Is it time to bail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Wow
Reactions: jd140

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just closing the loop on this one. I resolved my engine issue by finding a better home for the '66 112H. I would have ended up doing something that deviated from "factory" to get that machine back running, so I found an appropriate owner of a round fender that suited my needs and gave the 112 the path forward it deserved. I'm now the owner of a '66 110H in solid condition overall. The K181 needs a little maintenance, but runs and moves the machine as is. This worked out for the best for both parties I think.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Tractor

1 - 20 of 20 Posts