Weekend Freedom Machines banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
oh i don't know, maybe it's too heavy to pull or needs brakes yet, i still have to put it through some testing first. it could still end up on my pile of failed prototypes, who knows.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Paint makes it look factory built.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Hey Paul, I picked up by accident the drive axles, hydraulic motors, pump and reservoir from a Bunton Zero turn. The motors even have disk brakes and five hole wheel mounts. Imagine what that could do for a trailer like yours. You could adapt it to lift your box and also pull, push and brake the entire dump wagon. The weight wouldn't be an issue any longer. Just thinking!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
First thing that comes to mind with the zero turn motors. Were they engineered with this type of weight and forces involved in using for pushing or pulling the weight?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
First thing that comes to mind with the zero turn motors. Were they engineered with this type of weight and forces involved in using for pushing or pulling the weight?
if they were designed to put that mowers 20 - 25 hp (or more) to the ground, i would think they should be ok.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
I was just thinking out loud. I have no idea what to do with this stuff. But the idea of a powered cart behind a GD would be interesting for some engineer type to play around with. The drive motors are quite unique as they have the speed and direction control built right into the motor. I've never messed with zero turns and haven't even given any thought to how they do what they do. So, it would take some thinking to control these things as they would be independent of each other. One could get real fancy and control them off a floating surge-type hitch I guess. Oh well, time to get back to the task at hand. Of which I have too many already.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
couple of progress pics. mostly all the fiddly stuff left, grease fitting access points, all the fit up adjustments on the scissors joints so the rods slide through easily, cleaning up stray BB's from welding, more painting, hydraulic hose routing, hinging the side panels and tailgate, the aluminum decking, one of my tires keeps going flat. and welding in those 3 little square tubing blocks on the launch pad.

Wheel Wood Yellow Tire Engineering

Wood Yellow Engineering Gas Machine

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Pretty spiffy.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Me either, get r done.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
i have some hose and fittings arriving this Wednesday (UPS) from surplus center, so i should be able to plug in and get a short video of it moving up and down later this week hopefully.
until then i'll be finishing up the scissors arms, painting and setting up the headboard, sides, etc. our painting weather is running out quickly. my goal is to finish by the end of the month.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Get your fittings? I have been waiting to see the cart working. It dounds like a really neat project

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Get your fittings? I have been waiting to see the cart working.
yes! the hose and fittings actually arrived here yesterday (a day early) but i had planned to finish welding and prep / paint the scissors arms and axles. today i filled up the cylinders and hoses and put the quick connects on the ends, so those are all sealed up and air free, ready to plug in. tomorrow looks like the day it will be moving on it's own from the onboard hydraulics. i estimated 20 seconds to full lift on a tired implement circuit, we'll see. at 800 psi this setup might have close to 2 ton of push from the get-go but time will tell.
i'll try to post a short video if i can.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
sorry, no video today. late start and too many distractions. it is back together and ready to test out so i'll give it a solid effort tomorrow.

i'm still not sure if i'll have to go to plan B with it's own separate onboard hydraulic system. i'll know better after some real-world weight lifting.

BTW, 115 lbs tongue weight as it sits now, with the bed lowered.

Wheel Tire Riding mower Plant Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I like this a lot as well as the blue contraption in the background.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I like this a lot as well as the blue contraption in the background.
That is a simple run of the mill plastic garbage or recycling can, nothing much/fancy about it. :LOL:
Oh you mean that Ford with an early model (original?) PF Engineering BH and FEL!?! Yeah it looks nice to. :LOL: =)

Reactions: jetjoe

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Yes blue and white ford with BH.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Yes blue and white ford with BH.
i built that 350 lb hoe 20 years ago for my cub cadet 149, then when i swapped it to the ford it became a mini extend-a-hoe. it came in handy digging the 8' x 12' x 6 ft deep hole for my wife's geo thermal greenhouse project this spring. wish i had the dump cart then! the ford made a real mess of the yard during all that rain we had.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Whether it works or not, you sure do nice work.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts