Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It started two falls ago after spending a summer trying to rescue a 316 that I hardly got to use I went into work one morning too find a 318 being unloaded for a trade on a new Cub Cadet XT3 so I ask the boss what he has to have for it and he said give me what I've got in it $600 so i said sold but he didnt know what was wrong with it and the customer had it at the local Deere dealer and the coulnt figure it out I take it home and mowed with no issues until it just shuts down with out warning then the pto engaged on its own with out engine running and switch off then it would only start with the pto switch engaged...what the!!! As I sat in my dark garage I decided to take one more peek for the evening and I saw a tiny little arch under the battery tray so i remove the tray to find about a dozen wires melted together due to the insulation on a hot wire rubbing the tray for decades.After a
huge ball of splice and a good service too the engine I successfully mowed a season even with my screaming deck bearings so I decided to part out the 316 too treat my 318 to a Ruegg 3pt and some new shoes I've also installed firewall foam and am currently waiting on new couplings and a rear hydro line kit.

·
Premium Member
8,956 Posts
Attached are the schematics (wiring diagrams) for the 316 and 318 tractor harnesses -- you will note that there are some differences relative to dual versus single PTO and to the presence or lack of parking brake switch by SN, among other small variations.

I am also including the parts catalog section on the harnesses, as there are minor variations by SN of connector terminations and the like. The wiring pictorial and parts list shows the branching and the connection types well enough for reinstallation. Careful inspection of these three documents should lead you to a proper transplant of the harness from one tractor to the other. If you run into any issues, post questions back to the forum...

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Great job on that one!
And now I have another shop project to do.
Boom pole, love it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow thanks again Chuck that was a pleasant suprise this morning and will come in handy when I get to that project but first I need a grease zerk in my steer cylinder since its broke off and even though I know better I heated the area of the zerk up and tried removing it with an extractor this morning and broke it off in the old zerk and are impossible too drill I'm not sure how I'm gonna handle this one but I'll worry about that later for now its time to make the doughnuts lol.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As I sit waiting for my front couplers and rear hydraulic kit I'm thinking of adding a 3rd spool just for the deck and 3pt using my 316 as a donor it looks pretty straight forward other than some light modifications to the lever some brackets and a couple hoses which I think I have, now I see guys using an h3 spools from 400s and I see the $389 kit from Aux hydraulics but has anybody done it like I'm thinking using a 316, some homemade brackets and creative welding?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Yes, it can be done but it is not as simple as you seem to think it will be. Either way will require stripping quite a bit of the tractor to get access to work in these areas.

I am currently refreshing a 318 and part of that is H2 - H3 conversion and adding optional rear couplers.. My tractor will not be used as a mowing tractor so the rockshaft cylinder does not have to control two functions (mower deck and 3ph). This cylinder is controlled by center lever on H3 tractors.

You need to study the 318 hydraulic schematics to determine what circuit you want to break into to get what you want.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do have a 400 but I cant seem to bring myself to part it out if it weren't for this tractor I might still be a Bolens guy.It started 10yrs ago when I returned to work from lunch one day and there sat the most robust tractor on the property I quickly went and inspected it too find she had been neglected for many years well after walking past it for 2 weeks it was time for it to come in and the other mechanics just kept working around her so I brought it in for a no start condition.I throw a battery in her and she fired right up with a lot of smoke and a screaming deck a compression test revealed 90psi in both cylinders so after an est too the customer to rebuild the deck change the hydro fluid and filter because it was black as black could get a new battery decarbonizing the heads some breather work a new starter and relapping the valves even though the rings were shot....I was in love and thats were I got my first taste for Deere even though this thing was clapped out it was still the best tractor on the lot it ran strong.Well over the years it would come in because the owner could never get it started and there would never be any oil showing on the stick so 3yrs ago it came in for the same thing for the 3rd time because she couldnt start it and it had no oil so I had talked too the customer about taking this poor thing off her hands but she wouldnt even hear my offer but instead she said when I'm done with I'll just give it too you so with my tail between my legs I knew the next time I see it the engine will most likely be locked up but now I had the fever.In the mean time I traded my case 444 for a 316 that I sunk a ton into and never really used before I scored the 318 well this spring I received a call from the little old lady stating that she has had it and cant get it started and if I wanted it it was mine so I dropped what I was doing took the shop truck and picked her up later that evening I added oil and mowed 3/4 of an acre too find she burnt a quart in 3/4 of an acre but she still ran strong with no internal noise so i pulled the engine in the hopes of reringing it to find the rods were heavily scored so now she sits I did clean up the frame but cant seem too find a suitable engine too replace the k532 and cant bring myself too fork out the big money too rebuild the original so I'm not sure what her fate will be but if it weren't for this tractor that I pined for for a decade I'd still be on a Bolens.

·
Registered
1989 318
1,383 Posts
I do have a 400 but I cant seem to bring myself to part it out if it weren't for this tractor I might still be a Bolens guy.It started 10yrs ago when I returned to work from lunch one day and there sat the most robust tractor on the property

I love that story!

Reactions: TempletonJDguy
1 - 20 of 58 Posts