Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this tractor today, with the intent of building a fel for it. It has a cat 0 3 pt hitch with it.
Heres my new old tractor....

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I didnt have much time today to start really evaluating it. First thing I started on was the suspension seat frame. Pretty rusty, doesnt move thru the full range of travel. While I was there, the 3 pt chains needed help also.
Help is in a can, PB Blaster, love the stuff.
Rust remnants from the seat frame...

That will need some more attention later on.
Got the 3 pt chains loosened up enough to get apart. The eyebolts and yolks need some time with a tap and die set. That's tomorrow first thing.
First hours of rust and PB Blaster accumulation on the floor, lol.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Way to go Skwirl! Keep posting your improvements and more importantly your impressions. I would like to have a 455, but that has to wait on the shop expansion.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
That is a great little diesel tractor Skwirl and a loader on it will be awesome! Looks to be in really nice shape. The stuff you have to deal with is well worth the effort for a machine like that.

I picked up this tractor today, with the intent of building a fel for it. It has a cat 0 3 pt hitch with it.
Heres my new old tractor....
View attachment 267445

Reactions: Skwirl

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Way to go Skwirl! Keep posting your improvements and more importantly your impressions. I would like to have a 455, but that has to wait on the shop expansion.
I understand, I'm out of room now.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a great little diesel tractor Skwirl and a loader on it will be awesome! Looks to be in really nice shape. The stuff you have to deal with is well worth the effort for a machine like that.
From what I've seen so far, its rusty, stuck items.
I'm going to need a case of pb blaster, lol.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Picked up the first items for it yesterday. Got a seat cover and tractor cover.
Went out this am and got the yokes and eye bolts on the 3 pt chains cleaned up. Then changed the drive tires to my bars and wheel weights.
Got to use it a little then, put my trailer back in its parking spot.

Found the adjuster for the 3 pt jammed up. It works in the middle, but it wont turn out all the way. The adjuster looks pretty new and the square nut, but the threads are messed up.
Guess that will be next to repair.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
175 Posts
Looks like a really nice one! They are great garden tractors. I had 3 until I sold one a couple of years ago. Still have 2. I have the 40 loader on one of mine and really like it.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Bob, that's great having 2 of them. I went with it cause the foot pedals will be much easier with a fel.
I may have a few questions about the 40 on yours in the future, ok to ask you?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Nice tractor. I liked the styling of the 455 (4xx series). Nicer than the X7 series. But I never liked the hydro pedals and parking brake.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm getting used to the pedals, I'm actually liking them. Using the pedals to back my trailer in its spot was way easier.
I've started considering widening the mount on the mini payloader to fit. Havent decided yet.
Theres items I'm finding on the 455 that I'd like to fix first. So far nothing major, but little parts add up to.
Pulled the batt out of it tonight, put it on my charger/desulfator for the week. Cables need a good cleaning/scraping to. Need to get a new hold down for the batt this week.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey Bob, that's great having 2 of them. I went with it cause the foot pedals will be much easier with a fel.
I may have a few questions about the 40 on yours in the future, ok to ask you?
Absolutely!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I made a battery hold down for one of mine from a piece of light angle iron and threaded rod for the rods with locking nuts on one end and thumb nuts on the other end. Had everything on hand to make it!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Spent some time today looking up bushings for the front axle. Didnt realize these were available in 4 wheel steer. When I looked at the tractor on Sat, I did notice the rear had been out. The seller didnt know why it would have been out. I checked the implement pressure with my gauge and all 4 ports read 875 psi. Everything works ok.
So today, trying to identify the steer axle made me scratch my head, cause it's a 4 ws type. So I went and looked up serial numbers and then checked the tractor when I got home. The serial is 455C, it is a 2 ws model and 1997 production.
So now I'm really confused, lol.
Why would a 2 ws have a 4 ws front axle in it?
It's not the first time and probably wont be the last.
I did cross check the bushings between both models, the bushings are the same. At least I can get the front end fixed up.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Spent some time today looking up bushings for the front axle. Didnt realize these were available in 4 wheel steer. When I looked at the tractor on Sat, I did notice the rear had been out. The seller didnt know why it would have been out. I checked the implement pressure with my gauge and all 4 ports read 875 psi. Everything works ok.
So today, trying to identify the steer axle made me scratch my head, cause it's a 4 ws type. So I went and looked up serial numbers and then checked the tractor when I got home. The serial is 455C, it is a 2 ws model and 1997 production.
So now I'm really confused, lol.
Why would a 2 ws have a 4 ws front axle in it?
It's not the first time and probably wont be the last.
I did cross check the bushings between both models, the bushings are the same. At least I can get the front end fixed up.
Potentially the factory ran out of castings, but would think it'd be better documented, my guess though is that something happened to the original and a PO (or a shop) replaced with something that worked either because it was available, or because it worked.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some more examining of JD parts shows a serial number breaks for all models. Up to a certain serial number there is only 1 front axle for my model, a 455C. That is what's in my tractor. Theres 5 front axle assemblies to pick from, lol.
After the serial break, theres 1 front axle. Also using a completely revised steering setup.

I think they make it this complicated on purpose.
Need to visit the dealer after work and order more stuff, lol.

Reactions: army and DEERE317

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Very interesting thread Skwirl. I never really thought getting a newer JD like that 455. Kinda liking the idea now though (y)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It does seem to be a good tractor. I think the electronics in it worry me the most. It has what looks like a real circuit board. Not a TDCM, which could be bypassed for testing purposes.

I have some parts ordered for it. All the bushings in the front axle. Whoever owned the tractor, didnt own a grease gun.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Made a new battery hold down today from a piece of angle iron. Cut a battery mat to fit under it. Cleaned the cables up for now, I'll make some new cables up for it at somepoint. At least the tractor came with a JD battery. I checked the water level in it and it's good. The batt is date coded 2018, so with proper mantience I hope for many years of use yet.
I need to pick up a heat resistant wrap, solar panel leads and a pulse module to finish it up.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts