Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife is surfing around on craigslist the other day and stumbles across a 318 for 1400 bucks. The pictures showed a tractor, 4 way front blade, a 3-point hitch, a rear pto gearbox and a front weight bracket. the listing said it also came with a big leaf sucker. So I called the guy up and went to go look at it the next morning first thing. He was at work but his wife was home. Sure enough its just like the guy said. Its an '83 with 1300 hours on a non smoking b43. Its got a material collection system with the complete pto already on the tractor. It looks like it was only used a few times. A complete 3 point, weight bracket, gear reduction drive for the pto, and the 4 way blade is rough but has excellent cylinders.
Now for the bad news. The deck has a blade jammed up against the side and is locked up. It took a heck of a hit in reverse. Its fubar'd but is still fixable. And the engine ran rough and sputtered. It was running rich. And he put the totally wrong seat on it too. Drilled holes in the fender deck and now they have cracks.
So I called the guy on his cell phone and discussed all of its downfalls. I could tell he either had no idea what he had or really didn't care. So I offered him a 1000 bucks cash on the spot. HE TOOK IT! I about fell over when took my offer.
So I sent a couple of days tinkering and found the carb was so loose on the manifold it was shaking around. I fixed that, adjusted the point gap, set the carb, regapped the points. It runs just fine now but could use a muffler.
I also discovered last nite where the hydro leak was coming from. The frakin' steering valve on the base of the column. I knew I couldn't get away with this deal that easily. I was right! This is not gonna be a cheap fix from what I've read. But overall I still think I got the Craigslist Find-Of-The-Day award wrapped up!

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Jeff,

That may be the first time I have seen a single tractor with BOTH the single sheave non-reduction rear drive for an MCS <u>and</u> the gear reduction PTO. Nice find!

Is your steering a four port or a five port valve? If it is old enough to be the four port, you might want to look into what it takes to convert to the later version, so your steering does not work differently when the other tractor hydraulics are being used compared to when they are not cycling...

Chuck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congratulations, I bet the guys name was ROD. He agreed to sell the machine to me the night before, but did not get off work until 3:30. I live 125 miles away, took off work, drove through rush hour traffic and called him at 3:30 like we agreed. Told me his wife sold it at 10 and was to busy to give me a call, and then hung up on me. Sorry for the rant, but the guy is a piece of #!?* in my book!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Jeff
You got a great deal on that 318 !!

David (WELCOME TO WFM !!)
Sorry about your bad CL experience . The seller should have called you.I Sell on CL often and tell people the first person with cash gets it !!
I get sick of tire kickers and people not showing up.

I also have dropped what I was doing and hopped in the truck after a good CL deal before someone beet me to it. Still, you would have gotten a phone call from me telling you it was sold so you wouldn't waste your time.
John

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Jeff,

Another quick observation -- that dump tilt MCS would be very heavy when full, and that is why the front weight bracket was part of the equipment the prior owner had for the tractor. You should ask if there were any suitcase weights for it that were left behind, and try to pick those up reasonably as well...you are going to need some if you use the MCS yourself.

Chuck

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, here we go....

Alan, fubar is relative...something might be fubar to one person but still fixable to another. I usually get something so fubared that my friends look at me like I'm crazy, then awhile later I have repaired the previously fubard item.

Chuck, yes its quite the beast of a machine! It'll be 11+ feet long when assembled and 5+ wide. No suitcase weights to be found. And the sticker on the frame says it will hold 200 lbs. Yikes! The column is a four port. I did not know there were 2 kinds prior to digging up info on this one. I don't know which one is in my other 318. But I now have everything I need to put the 3 point and gear reduction pto on it. And an extra gear reduction drive and 3 point arms.

David, The guys name was Rod. I'm sure its the same guy. He said someone was supposed to come look at it at 4 that day and he would call and tell them(you?) that it had been sold. Sorry to meet you on a sour note like this.

John, you're right, thats how I play craigslist too. First guy with the cash gets it. I've been burned by no shows and stuff being sold out from under me too. And I've scored a few good deals by being the first guy with the cash also.

Arthur, yes its fully hydraulic. You never have to leave the seat, even to dump it. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of one completly together. I'm pretty excited to get it up and running.

Gary, I saw the instructions on how to make a jig for it. The whole thing looks fairly easy to rebuild, I think kits just going to be a bear R and R'ing it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
That is a deal the cam kit is around $300 on the auction site and if it were me i would go through the entire engine while it is out. They are great tractors I went to a 425 from a 400 the only things I miss is the H3 and 2 speed rear end the upgrades in ergonomics is well worth it. Here they go for $2500-$3500. Mine has 1730 hours on it and runs good some leaks here and there but nothing too crazy. Just know that if the hood or side panels are bad they get pretty expensive. Good Luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.