Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 1967 John Deere 110 Restoration

I say "my" as I have not bought it yet.....

As noted here: https://www.wfmachines.com/forums/showthread.php/121354-STX-38-Restoration?p=1008888#post1008888 I'm an IT nerd by trade but started with a lawn cart and restored it and then attempted to restore a STX as a starter project. But too much wrong it with it to make it viable.

But... as I also noted I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 110. Serial Number is 074784M. As I'm still somewhat of a noob, I did some googling that looks to be a 1967 model, correct? Doing some more checking now but if anyone knows off hand that would be a big help determining price and do I pull the trigger.

EDIT: and just like that, if I read this right: http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/000/0/0/5-john-deere-110.html its a 1967.

TIA
Mark

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Go ahead and add it to our registry. TractorData isn’t known to be all that correct.

Looks to be a great candidate! Did it come with anything? Deck, plow, ...?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Go ahead and add it to our registry. TractorData isn’t known to be all that correct.

Looks to be a great candidate! Did it come with anything? Deck, plow, ...?
Registry? I must have missed that (probably at the top of the forum?) EDIT: Found it, will do.

It does have the deck, I have a picture of that but I'll post it later. The are a lot of little things but after my abortive attempt with the STX 38 Im looking forward to this. Its going to be a great project for my son and I to work on once things warm up a bit around here.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Started the tear down last night and inspected the tractor. Everything looks sound, no surprises. Deck is in good shape, and the engine looks to be healthy.

The last part is the tranny. I did a visual inspection and no leaking or cracking noticeable and is not “marking its territory”.

Plan is to get the engine out and everything photographed and labeled first. If I have enough time Sunday I’m hoping to get the wheels off and the frame on the jackstands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
503 Posts
Looks like it has great potential Mark, good luck with the project. Please share your progress with us.:good:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Nice find. Hope you enjoy working on it, and get a lifetimes' worth of use/enjoyment for your efforts.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the encouragement guys. As I noted I work in IT so not a mechanic by any stretch, but I have lurked this site for a while. When I was a kid I would pull apart my dirt bikes so some of the similarities have come back to me as it were.

As you can see from the photos I made a crazy amount of progress last night and disassembled most front end and pulled the engine. I’m labeling as much as I can but Im sure I'm going tp have questions as reassembly time. I’ve also been very surprised that I’ve been able to disassemble it with just my wrenches and socket set. None of the bolts have been really been stuck, I’m sure I’ll find some at some point.

I should note I said the engine “looks healthy” previously. Before I pulled it, it did start even with the choke cable being busted and a previous owner using a straight-threaded pipe for a muffler... I did a quick visual inspection of the engine block and nothing out of the ordinary. I was suprised how much the starter weighted, wow.

Next up is the dropping the tranny. I haven’t looked to see where it’s attached, but I’m hoping it’s as easy as the four bolts that held the engine to the frame?

Last but not least the underside is in surprisingly good shape the coating of grime, grass, oil and other crud really protected it from rusting, looks to be fairly easy to clean and from where I wiped it off? Almost brand new JD green underneath.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Mark, sometimes labeling can be difficult, if not impossible if parts are still greasy! A camera works great. Use a fresh card, take photo and WRITE DOWN what you just photographed. Put disc in puter and rename files to 1, 2, 3, or use description you wrote down as file name. Freezer bags/sandwich bags are great for holding bolts and a marker will identify where the bolts go, like "engine mount to frame", "tranny to frame", etc.

Hope this makes life a little easier for ya, Bob

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Bob.

Thats what I've done: a lot of zip loc bags and labeled where I can.

I would assume that someone has a PDF of the exploded view of the tractor from a service manual?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Mark,

I always put the bolts and small pieces from each part in a zip lock bag and label them well with a sharpy. It makes reassembly much easier. Also a trip to the self car wash, now that you have the engine off is a good way to clean everything up. The high pressure soapy water works amazing well and keeps the mess out of your garage. Good start and keep going.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Update: I've removed nearly everything and am stuck on the steering wheel and its removal. I have everything removed and the steering column ready to come out but the steering wheel wont come off. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious...

EDIT: I found this: https://www.wfmachines.com/forums/showthread.php/30494-110-Steering-Wheel-Removal?highlight=steering+wheel+removal+110

If I read this right I need a three jaw puller and force it upwards?

EDIT #2: Do I need to heat the shaft with a torch?

·
Registered
201 Posts
My observation is that you found a really nice machine. Seems to have to been stored inside, and was well taken care of. I wouldn't get too zealous with that steering wheel (heat, hammers, etc.) or you run the risk of creating a problem that's tough to resolve (new wheels haven't been available for close to fifty-years). Lots of penetrating oil, pressure from a puller, and perhaps wrapping with a protected hammer (via a block of wood, or brass ) not to unseat, but to vibrate loose.

I'm thinkin' a cautious approach would be wise.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My observation is that you found a really nice machine. Seems to have to been stored inside, and was well taken care of. I wouldn't get too zealous with that steering wheel (heat, hammers, etc.) or you run the risk of creating a problem that's tough to resolve (new wheels haven't been available for close to fifty-years). Lots of penetrating oil, pressure from a puller, and perhaps wrapping with a protected hammer (via a block of wood, or brass ) not to unseat, but to vibrate loose.

I'm thinkin' a cautious approach would be wise.
It just came off... a few gentle whacks from the hammer and it popped right off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So here is where I stand as of now.

I have it fully disassembled and down to the frame. I was too tired to wash it other than a brief once over.

Now for the "fun" parts:
1. The screws holding the levers for the choke and throttle are fully striped. There is zero way to get a bite on them. So the question is IF I Dremel these and cut them apart (I can get the mounting screws and nuts off the base) how expensive? The choke one is broken so I'm going to need to replace it anyways.

2. The underside was a lot more frustrating so the labeling didn't go as well. Going to need a lot of pointers at reassembly time.

3. I've got 5 boxes of parts! At least they roughly go together.

4. I'm not sure of the next step. I know I need to strip the frame and the parts but I'm wondering if I need to pull apart the engine, inspect, repaint first and then likewise with the tranny.

5. Haven't even touched the mower deck, but everything spins. I'm thinking that is the last thing to do.

6. Nothing was really too stuck on the tractor, the worst was the cotter pins to be quite honest.

7. I've got the steering linkage out in two pieces including the front (strut?) where the wheels attach. I'm guessing those aren't going to be easy to pull apart? But now that I have everything disassembled... in my vice carefully wrapped?

8. The speed lever on the right side.... the nut holding it tight appears to have been sheared. Going to have to tap it by the look of it.

Anyways, enough work for today...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts