Weekend Freedom Machines banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you want iSaveTractors has a YouTube series on restoring a GT (little late, seeing as you’ve gotten a lot done), he also sells engine rebuild parts.

Not sure what exactly plastic welding is but those are Fiberglass hoods. (Atleast everything after that up to about 1991 is, so I’d think it’s Fiberglass)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
If you want iSaveTractors has a YouTube series on restoring a GT (little late, seeing as you’ve gotten a lot done), he also sells engine rebuild parts.

Not sure what exactly plastic welding is but those are Fiberglass hoods. (Atleast everything after that up to about 1991 is, so I’d think it’s Fiberglass)
Sorry I wasn’t specific it was a crappy fiberglass patch I chipped off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sorry I wasn’t specific it was a crappy fiberglass patch I chipped off.

Photo loaded in for me now, see what plastic welding was referring to.

Wasn’t sure exactly what it was, was thinking it was a plastic “welding” compound type stuff for plastic.

·
Registered
75 Posts
AfAIK plastic welding is for plastic, not fiberglass. I believe fiberglass has to be repaired with a crappy fiberglass patch.

Of course you have nothing to lose by trying it. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Sent from my VIC-20 @ 300bps.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Yeah the kit was $16. Nothing to lose really. When I finished last night it seemed to be fairly rigid with no flex like before.

Trying to avoid buying a replacement one if I can.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Front axle is correct.
Looking good!

Reactions: Willmark

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
AfAIK plastic welding is for plastic, not fiberglass. I believe fiberglass has to be repaired with a crappy fiberglass patch.

Of course you have nothing to lose by trying it. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Sent from my VIC-20 @ 300bps.
Note: the "crappy fiberglass patch" was truly that, gooped on and fibers everywhere under the hood. I can't be sure but there was another type of glue as well, possibly epoxy glue. I say this because there was the patch that was distinct and then another type of glue of a different color. As near as I can tell it looks to have been repaired (or attempted) twice.

As to the bold: exactly why I tried it.

After letting it sit for 24 hours I started with the initial sanding of the hood going down to a lower grit. Plastic doesn't take too kindly to sanding and I'll probably have to do a light layer of Bondo it get it smooth enough for painting. Its pretty darn strong in terms of where the crack was as I heated the fiberglass as best I could while applying the plastic.

Anyways here she is after dry fitting some parts. The front grill is getting sand blasted this weekend down to the bare metal. The hood needs a good scrubbing under the hood to get the remaining grime off (I scrubbed it well where I patched it).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Today was a clean up day in the garage and it was needed. Why/ Because another JD joined the herd! While not a round fender the 1982 111 will be used for snow duty if I can find a snow plow for it.

As you can see I've got them arranged now for easy access to both. I have a new carb on order for the 111 and a new tire but everything else is likewise good outside of a missing air filter cover; just missed one on eBay for $10...:mad:

Green fever is now strong (my 2013 D100 is "on loan" to my FIL) so what to do? I might be able to get a RX73 and a RX75 for $100; thinking I can make a workable RX75 from the two..

61 - 68 of 68 Posts