Weekend Freedom Machines banner

My John Deere 110 Restoration Thread

31K views 127 replies 23 participants last post by  AgingDiesel 
#1 · (Edited)
My 1967 John Deere 110 Restoration

I say "my" as I have not bought it yet.....

As noted here: https://www.wfmachines.com/forums/showthread.php/121354-STX-38-Restoration?p=1008888#post1008888 I'm an IT nerd by trade but started with a lawn cart and restored it and then attempted to restore a STX as a starter project. But too much wrong it with it to make it viable.

But... as I also noted I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 110. Serial Number is 074784M. As I'm still somewhat of a noob, I did some googling that looks to be a 1967 model, correct? Doing some more checking now but if anyone knows off hand that would be a big help determining price and do I pull the trigger.

EDIT: and just like that, if I read this right: http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/000/0/0/5-john-deere-110.html its a 1967.

TIA
Mark

#69 · (Edited)
So I’ve been diligently cleaning the engine in preparation for repainting. Today I noticed this... not good.

It goes through the entire cylinder head, top and bottom. Really could not be in a worse place as the crack goes through the treads as well.

Looking at a new one? Opinions?

#71 ·
Would you have meant Kohler? Deere never used a Briggs in 110.

#79 · (Edited)
Yes, FINALLY cleared the deck of projects and cleaning the garage again to recommence work on this.

I was side tracked by multiple household projects and the following lawn mower wise:
* 2014 D100- FIL broke the tranny, currently under repair.

* Sold a 2006 JD self propelled (it was a JS31 as I recall) and a Ariens Snow Blower both required minimal work and sold easily.

* Fixed up a 2010 Troy built Bronco. Found it on the side of the road for free; 42” deck and cuts well. It had some wiring issues that took a while to resolve. Put in maybe $60 in parts. Now up for sale.

* New carb for the JD 111 and screws that got lost in transit when it was trailered to my house. Surprisingly hard to find some of those but now ready to go.

* a Ariens rider (don’t know the year yet) that my FIL is using getting that back soon to sell. Had to get it over to him to use when he broke the D100.

So that leaves me with beginning to reassemble the engine on the 110. Ready to begin repainting it. My goal is to put it all back together with the parts I have now and then over time swap out as needed with new or replacement parts.

REALLY looking forward to the challenge of this after it’s been disassembled for 2.5 years.

#77 ·
#81 ·
Favor time.

Bear in mind it’s been sitting in pieces for 2.5 years…

Any possibility that someone could send me photos of the underneath of their 1967 tractor including the steering parts? I think I have a good handle on how that goes back together.

Also the fender insides would be helpful; I’m organizing stuff now but it’s a bit much. I figure as I go it’s going to get easier but have less parts to deal with as time goes on.

And yes I have looked at the maintenance manual. :)

#84 ·
Willmark, Here are some pictures of my '67 112 underneath. Hope they help.

Attachments

#100 ·
And don’t forget there are plenty of folks here that have had these tractors apart and can help figure out where the part goes… although we can’t help you with where the part went…

#101 ·
Oh don't worry, Im sure when I do I'll get some great answers this site rocks.

When it comes time for the electric I'll be posting a ton of photos and asking for triple checks before I ever turn the key. And this will be after I do a one to one from the replacement harness to the new. In other words I'll be checking it a billion times before I ask here.

#102 ·
Work continues apace. Still no photos but I’m diligently painting parts. Still working on the front end. I have the parts sorted and identified for it and by Sunday I should have it reassembled.

Along with this I realize I need to have the operator console resembled. Stickers ordered and will be sanding and from being the old sticker. Goal is to have it repainted by the time the stickers arrive. Likewise batter tray in and ready to I can thread the steering shaft through and attach.

#103 ·
Finally something to show for the effort. Control Console is now primed (did that last night) and the steering is back together and works.

First photo is where she was as of last night. Second is the console after scrapping the old sticker off and sanding.

I think the next thing is I’m going to tackle the tranny. It’s now leaking form right side so likely needs gaskets replaced. Still formulating how exactly I want to approach it.

Oh and stickers arrived, had to do at least one so put on the one for the air filter cover.

I’m also debating finishing the last parts on the engine and leaving it aside while I work on the transaxle.

Green Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Engineering

Wood Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Bumper

#104 ·
Work continues after getting Covid, that wasn’t fun…

First, operators console. Going to buff out the blank buttons fully later, just don’t want them to scatter.
Camera accessory Font Gadget Cameras & optics Circle

Next Engine reassembled! Photos from three years ago and manuals coming in handy. Also finding over the years some parts I’m looking for are missing, as in someone just through something on it. I’m keeping note and will need to swap them later (mainly on the covers).
Motor vehicle Machine tool Engineering Gas Toolroom

Motor vehicle Green Automotive tire Engineering Gas

#105 ·
On this morning’s edition of “a previous owner did what to my 1967 John Deere 110!”

“Hey you know what would be a good idea? Let’s saw something out!”

As you can see a previous owner hacked out a chunk of the lower support strut for the generator, and sawed off the tensioner as well for good measure leaving it embedded in the metal. :rolleyes: sourcing a new one locally now.
Road surface Asphalt Wood Grass Concrete

Also two small questions:
1. Generator bulb? Who the heck even sells these? I had to pull it apart it was so fused in the socket.

2. This HAS to be the pin roll for the speed shifter correct? (Part #10 in the service manual for the speed control), only thing that fits there. I remember asking about it on page 1 back in 2019 when I tore it down. From the look of it, it will compress a bit once lightly driven into the hole?

Road surface Asphalt Tar Automotive tire Electric blue

Attachments

#110 ·
Dang, should’ve checked this thread before I came in the house… new phone and I don’t have any pictures to reference on it. I know on the Tec in the 112s that it goes on a head stud.