Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 1965-ish burns tractor. I spotted it a while ago and was just dying to pick it up. Finally gathered the courage about 3 months ago to ask my nieghbour about it, and he said to just come pick it up. Took our Yamaha grizzly down, used the Kodiak to yank it out of its grave, and dragged it onto the trailer. Got it home, threw out the wisonsin (no spark, no fuel, no compression) and the neighbour paid a visit. Asked him some things about it and figured out it's been sitting since around 2001, 17 years! Amazingly, the only seized things were the jackshaft and the cables. Pulled out the jackshaft, removed the chains, got the belt off. I've been wanting to do something with it but sadly no one in my area knows what the word "cheap" means. Either the engine is sold and they don't delete the ad, or they have an outrageous price on it.
My brother sold one of his cubs, and the guy who bought it has an 8 horse for me. Forgot to ask if it runs, but it does have the starter gen setup (no starter gen, though) he just wants to trade it for a set of fenders.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,433 Posts
This will be interesting especially with the age of the tractor. Keep the pictures coming as you make inprovements. I know it's not green but it is part of our history.

·
Super Moderator
3,433 Posts
Some more info on Burns tractors. They were from 6 to 10 horsepower:

Burns Manufacturing built garden tractors in Louisville, Georgia in the early 1960s. Founded by Sam Burns as Burns Tool Corporation, Burns was sold to Draper in 1960. Draper owned Blue Jet and Penfield, and a line of Burns and Penfield Suburban tractors was built. Burns was sold off in 1964 with the tractor and tiller line being purchased by Gilson.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wish I knew the exact year, but some jerk repainted the tractor and sanded the serial tag off. Only the numbers, though, the manufacturer is fine and barely scratched.

·
Super Moderator
3,433 Posts
Could you see any information on the engine you took out? You might be able to match horsepower with a model or narrow it down to just a couple of midels.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, the entire serial tag was blank. I have no idea the horsepower.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So still haven't got in any progress on the 317 (haven't even picked it up yet) but I did get in some work on the burns.
Got a single fender off. That took an entire day of wrestiling on its own. Tried to have my pap torch the transmission bolts off but ended up basically welding the transmission to the brackets, so I'll just have to cut the transmission out. Figured out that the 3 speed is completely shot with 2nd and 3rd having destroyed gears. It's hard to get into 3rd and almost impossible to get into 2nd. 1st and reverse have lost the detent ball entirely, and the case was full of brown-diarrhea looking oil and at least half a gallon of water. So yeah, it's junk.
I did, however, get my motor. It's a Kohler k161, it has everything except the generator, muffler, coil, and spark plug. The guy said that it ran well before it was removed. It was, quite obviously, repainted to blue for god knows what reason. I just need to get a pulley for it and get the parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So an update on the b-60, I got a battery box fabbed up so the battery won't be on the frame. Made everything myself. Decided that for now I'm just gonna roll with the transmission that's in the tractor. I'm just gonna put a hose on a funnel, tip the tractor up, and pour the gear oil through the front drain plug. Cut the clutch basket off the motor and got a starter generator. Have pretty much everything except for a key switch and fuel tank mounts.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So another update is required on the burns. The kohler is out and the briggs 8 hp I found is in the frame. Need to put in a starter gen and bolt it down.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We have spark, I repeat, we have spark!

Only took setting the points multiple times, cleaning the contacts, re-insulating the wires, gapping the coil, and blowing out a spark plug to fix it.

I knew the plug was for a motor with a slightly cooler spark, but it literally burned the contact off the plug.

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So since that last update I've been doing some work on the little tractor. I tipped the tractor up on its back and filled the transmission with gear oil through the drain plug. I put my jackshaft and belt tensioner back in.
Of course I go to run it and it was leaking a bit of compression past the intake valve, so I pulled the head and cleaned it. There were literal chunks of carbon in the cylinder, but hey, at least the bore is remarkably clean!
I put it back together AND... No compression at all now. The intake valve seat is completely destroyed. Guess I need to lap the valves...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I stuck the burns in the back of the shed for now, it's on hold because I really don't want to do the valves. Might just buy a new 8 horse and swap the clean parts over to the other engine. I am also going to add a kohler carb to replace the updraft one.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Mudrig,
Glad to see your workbench! It looks just like mine. Made me feel at home. good luck with the engine rebuild.
Mitch

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just realized I am ordering valve lapping tools... Might just try to fix the original 8 hp before I jump into buying another motor, just gotta find where all the parts went...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is the tractor as of now. I'm stripping it down to the bare frame to prime the whole tractor, which'll give me a good base to get the mechanical stuff sorted out.

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did some rearranging in our shed, which took up all weekend. We got our Deere 455 in the heated basement to get the power steering seals replaced, which has been a job we've been putting off since August when the seals went out.

I still had some time left on Sunday, so I did some work on the Burns. I got some 80 grit sandpaper and cleaned up the steering wheel and steering shaft, uncovered a lot of original paint from the middle of the shaft to the steering wheel, and I found only a tiny bit of white left on the steering wheel. I also cleaned up the lower rack and pinion bracket with a wire brush on the drill, it had a ton of thick, crusty grease on it, and in the grease zerks, which plugged them up.

On another note, I found a craftsman snowblade that we still have from the LT1000 that I sold, I'm gonna modify it to fit the Burns to replace the original rotted blade.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did some cleanup on the Burns frame, got the plow test fit. It's gonna need some holes redrilled, and I need to figure out how to lift it.

I also finally got the mushroomed spindle out. Ended up sticking a grinding wheel in the drill and using it to precision grind the mushroomed part off... After struggling for 2 hours with a file, of course.

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Set the blade up again... Had to ditch the side brackets because they got in the way of the tie rods and front axle. In the place it's getting mounted, I get about 7.5" of lift max and it sticks out about 19". Now to figure out how to bolt it up without interfering with the axle channel and how to lift it with the stock lift handle

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We have a motor! Number, uh...6? I think. It actually runs! Even cold, started first pull. No smoke, no knocking, no nothing, and it's really low hour. It was on a chipper, but the previous owner was chipping branches and accidentally chucked a mower blade in with the branches. The engine survived, but the impeller needs the knives replaced due to them being broken off by the mower blade, but they're outrageously expensive. I'll keep the chipper body, but It'll need some work, more then the engine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iersdL_zKyg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts