Weekend Freedom Machines banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
So, I had a whole fiasco over the weekend. Pulled the air cleaner to drain the gas out of the carb, pulled the bowl off the carb, the fuel I pulled out was brown. Probably why I had no fire. Rerouted fuel line, spilled gas everywhere (fuel tank had a bubble escape which shot fuel all out of the funnel, which fills the entire fuel filler hole), and then I decided to roll her outside. After some wiring diagnoses, found out my main power wire for the key switch fell off. Put it back on, turned the key, and well, she smokes. Doesn't run, but there's at least something. Sometimes comes out of the muffler, but most of the time, it comes out of the carb. Guessing I'm gonna have to do some valve work?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
So getting closer to getting running?

best of luck,
Yeah. Still not there yet, but smoking at least means there's some life in this old K241. A rebuild is in the cards, but not at the moment. No knocks, no squeaking, just the puff of compression loss out the valve, which is probably from all the carbon around them. Gonna see if I can't lap the valve and find a flexible wire brush to get the rust out of the intake, then I'll clean the block and paint under the shrouds while the motor is apart for the rebuild.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'm just kidding with you but my smarty pants response say put the carb on the exhaust and then try and maybe it'll fire right up!

I far from a small engine repair guy so hoping you get better advice from other's

did you check the timing at all? would be my only question.

or go through Isavetractors youtube channel he seems to have great how to videos on small engine reparis.

best of luck and hope you at least smiled with my smary pants replay!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Not really. I know we had a spark tester but it's lost and I don't think it'd help. I tried setting points through the site hole but there is no site hole on this engine, or at least I don't think there is. I really need a 210 manual to help.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Gotta pull the engine, because the oil pan is leaking. Will also make it easier to lap the valves. Gonna take this opportunity to fix the still leaking axle seal. Is a 140 with the serial 012420 supposed to have one or two seals in the axle? I found 2 seals in wildy different states of disrepair, which makes it seem like one was added after the fact, JDPC says there's supposed to be 1 per axle. Wondering if me putting in only 1 seal is why it's still leaking.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Got the valves lapped, intake cleaned, lash set. Was leaking pretty bad, and valves were set to 0"(intake) and .005" (exhaust). Got then set to .008" and .017" respectively.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Got Larry back together. Got too dark and dinner was ready so couldn't get him ready last night. Much nicer today, so perfect weather to get a 140 running.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Well, he's ready. Had to go out for a week for my surgery (nothing serious, just getting some quality of life stuff done), before I got my surgery done I got the carb drained, and lord, the fuel that came out smelled AWFUL. Turns out me not draining the carb over the last 2 times I've drained the fuel has not had a good effect on the float bowl. It also didn't help that I used a filter off a tractor that had 15+ year old fuel in it, so the float bowl was full of dirt. Got it cleaned out, and flipped the bowl gasket to hopefully get a good seal on the leaking float, which is what was leaking and not my oil pan.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Well Larry has just been sitting, since the 317 and the Burns have taken priority, since they both run, and all. Hes got some issue where the engine will not draw fuel out of the carb so hes just been sitting. And leaking... something. I have no clue what it is, dont know if its oil or something, oil is the same level but there is a huge puddle under him. I did pull all three out for a pic and them put them back.

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Just adding in that my 69 140 is currently sporting only 1 head light at the moment!
Well, I think you've been wanting me to get Larry running more then me, and he finally does. I tried to get him running and nothing happened, played with the plug and the points, and I finally just opened the throttle because I was curious about if he was flooding without enough air in the cylinder.
Turned the key, and he popped to life and took off running under his own power! He runs pretty good, but he has carb issues and only runs on carb cleaner. He smoked a bit but it quickly cleared up.
Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeH-FpVZFiE

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Sad... Larry's transmission is pretty well ruined. The bearing on the one side of the diff came out into the axle tube, and it was rubbing the bottom of the case. Hitch plate was a pain in the rear to get off because it's bent. There are 5 missing teeth off the diff gear, the pickup tube is broken, and the case has a pretty good ring of scoring around where the diff gear was wearing out the case. Axle got pretty hot and is blue, probably from rubbing against the side of the diff. Guess I need to find a whole new differential.

Attachments

Reactions: Merc1973

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Well it's been almost a year and I finally have an update. Larry is back on 4 wheels after sitting for god knows how long. Hopefully I can get him out, get a tank on him, and get him running under his own power sometime soon.
172468679_2921006041553202_7348989929676619161_n.jpg

41 - 60 of 64 Posts