Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I just snagged this JD 318 for 800 bucks with a mower deck, a plow and a snow thrower. I called him to see if he'd sell the mower deck and he told me he'd sell the whole thing for 800 bucks! He was bypassing the ignition with jumper cable to the starter and positive to one of the wires because of what appeared to be a broken ignition switch. I have replaced that and a 20 amp glass fuse, and now when i go to start it it gives a yellow battery light, but wont crank. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this machine they could upload so i can chase down this issue? Product ID number is M00318X289772. I would love some suggestions on where to start :) Also what year is this machine. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,118 Posts
Kevin,

Welcome to owning a vintage 318 -- yours is quite an early one at the beginning of the 1984 model year.

An $800 318 with attachments is a smoking deal (even if it is actually smoking...) :lol: And you did not mention the cast weights that are worth at least $100 more. Here is the lowdown on the wiring diagrams and some theories of operation on various sub-systems.

View attachment 318 Tm1590 schematics.pdf

Check the 3 amp fuse and the holder itself -- those glass tube types and their sockets are notoriously unreliable...change them to the later automotive style tab types if you want reliability.

Chuck

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys thanks for the warm welcome. I'll keep you posted on the progress as it progresses. Looking forward to solving this issue with you all. chuck thx for the diagram

1 - 9 of 9 Posts