Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought one. It is an E0901. Tires are shot and the gate is complete, but bowed. I paid probably too much, but from my research I think it is pretty close to my 72 tractor and the going price for these things is a bit more than I paid, so not so bad I guess. The rest of it is very solid and pretty straight. The floor appears really good.

Question is what tires?
  • Carlisle has ones that look really close, but 4 ply.
  • Miller has those V61 tires that are 6 ply.

The tailgate may be straightened out. What is the options?
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle
Hood Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Vehicle door

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
If the tires hold air run em as is, if not put tubes in them and run em with tubes. That’s what I did. Seems to be working just fine. I have about a 1/4 yard of dirt sitting in it at the moment.

Edit: I’m on my little mini iPad ii so I did not see the split in the tire. The better the tire the longer it’ll last.

Reactions: Dan in Ohio

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one tire might make it the other one is too dry rotted and is seriously splitting.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Friend of mine does fabricate new tailgates if that interest you. Probably thread on here somewhere. Matt.

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
I put the V61's on my 80 cart, and I had a tailgate fabricated for it. Your tailgate looks as if it could be straightened as long as it isn't too rotted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tailgate itself isn't rotten. I'm guessing it wasn't left outside much. Straightening it is an option to try.

A new fabricated gate may also be an option. I guess we'll see if I can get it straightened out.

What were the number of ply on the original tires?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Original Goodyear terra-tire say 2-ply on the pair I have.
check your wheel bushings for excessive play between bushings and axle. If more than slight play, you may want to replace them and always keep them greased. Heavy loads with little grease with ruin them over time.
looks like a great find!

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
Motor vehicle Wheel Wood Tire Automotive exterior
Wood Rectangle Gas Grass Plastic

Just remember to have the two notches cut out of the sides near the top so that the gate will lay flat on the top of the cart when fully open. I forgot to have this done.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Straighten the tailgate then use one of the paint rejuvenator products and leave it original. Fix original tires with tubes as suggested.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hate body work, but I can. I think if one carefully dissected it that one could save it.
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Gas Screw
Photograph Wood Automotive tire Gas Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Cookware and bakeware Bumper Gas Wood

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The one is coming apart. It isn't good. The other one looks good but goes flat. Pretty stiff rubber.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Yup, gotta come apart! A tube will make it hold air, until a stone or even a grain of sand works it way into that slit in the OD. That will soon, maybe quickly, work it's way through the tube. You can usually get by with sidewall cracking/checking by adding a tube, but not so much when the OD/tread is split. Bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was thinking of replacing both tires and if the one that looks pretty good does come off without destroying it, maybe someone needs it for originality..

A little fire and finesse has the tailgate surprisingly looking better. I need to go find a fatter pipe to work out the rolled part some more.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
If you don't have one, I'd suggest/recommend a mini tire changer from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool. About $50 and you can change cart tires AND tractor tires in about 20 minutes (per tire)! Bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Probably easier than the big irons for changing my tires on the Mack. I'll look for it. Thx

·
Premium Member
8,896 Posts
Carlisle rib pattern tires are the closest to original look and more than enough load rating. V61s are a bit more expensive and very heavy duty (and less like originals in appearance...) Here is the Carlisle pattern in a photo of the front tires on one of my 322 tractors a while ago...
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Chuck

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I agree to use the harbor freight mini tire changer. I got one and mounted it to my trailer tongue so it has something solid to mount to. Others use a pallet and mount it solid on a pallet and stand of the pallet while using.

I might be interested in the other goodyear tire depending on condtion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fleet Farm had a spot for them Carlisle tires, but they were out of that size at $49.95ea.

Tractor Supply had something a bit cheaper, but I didn't like them as much.

I can get the Carlisle tires cheaper online. I guess I'll do that when I'm ready.

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
Gate come out looking good, nice save

1 - 20 of 22 Posts