Weekend Freedom Machines banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
I and many others have followed Gabby's snow thrower and tractor posts for years and found him to be very knowledgeable. He definitely has answers and real time knowledge of snow throwers. If anyone has his contact info, I'm sure if Grant were to contact him with questions, Gabby would be able to save Grant a lot of time and effort.

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I think I have read more old threads about 49 throwers, then I have on any other project. It's very intimidating. Got the bearings back in the gear box and the shafts are in the freezer till tomorrow possibly.

Wood Gas Font Audio equipment Auto part

Automotive tire Gas Bumper Motor vehicle Auto part

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
2 1984 318 1 1992 318 1976 300 3 49 blowers 1 54 blade 4 46 mower decks brinley plow brinley disk.
65 Posts
Hey Grant I have used 00 cotton picker spindle grease in mine when rebuilding mine. Ive found it lubes better then cornhead grease as it flows better and doesn't leak out like 80/90 gear lube. I opened up mine last year that I had rebuilt 9 seasons ago and all is wearing fine. I did replace the grease but that was all. About 100 hours of use.

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I grabbed a tube of corn head grease when I was in to pick up my parts. I think the PO used gear lube and 2lbs of silicone to try and keep it in the gear box.

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I was planning on adding some RTV to the new gasket. I don't know much about JB Weld, never used it. And for now I will keep it that way

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I used RTV now instead of possibly having to do it down the road...peace of mind.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Just took my cover off, wiped off most of the grease. The small gear looked more worn than the bigger one, added some 80w90. Put some rtv over the old cork gasket, I'll tip it over tomorrow and see if it leaks. I'd like to find a tall chute for it. Added a speed up gear last year, only had 1 chance to try it out and it clogged immediately.

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Do you condition your thrower Mike, before you use it? I let mine sit outside for about a half hour to let the steel climatize. I have no leaks at this time, but will keep an eye on it. As far as I know the gears are NLA from Deere, now your dealer can dig deeper by checking stock system wide and may be able to find some that way.

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Seems like the easiest way, or find what else used the same gear box and follow that where it takes you, could be hundereds sitting on shelves some where collecting dust

41 - 60 of 85 Posts