Weekend Freedom Machines banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Thanks Cliff, that is what I was thinking (other brands)

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I've been busy with a bunch of other stuff, but it was time to get back into the 49.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Machine tool Gas Engineering

Wheel Tire Road surface Wood Asphalt

I got the auger back in with new bearings, tomorrow I will take the sprocket to have the hub welded onto it. I ground the welds on the 40 tooth sprocket and will have it welded to a 36 tooth that I got at TSC. The gearbox is all mounted up and that part is ready to mate back up to the thrower housing.

Som of the stuff that has me busy are in no practicular order; cutting firewood, goose hunting, bow hunting, moving cattle, Son's birthday,...

Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Ecoregion

Wheel Tire Plant Plant community Automotive tire

Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Plant Wheel Beak Groundcover Automotive tire

Plant Window Sky Tree Branch

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Got the mount back to the thrower and installed hydro cylinder' Just back from welder with 36 tooth sprocket, will post pic when that is installed.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Tire Yellow

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Gotta shorten chain by 1 or 1 1/2 link

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Yes John, a 36 tooth, down from the 40 tooth

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

could likely take another out

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Gonna try it like that, but there is about half of the adjuster slot used up.

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
The 49 lives, runs great although there is a whirrrr to the gearbox, but I think the same noise was there before. I had 2" steel added to the footprint of the feet and got the chute control reassembed and installed. I was gonna just blast and paint the inside of the chute but once I got started blasting I found it hard to stop. So now doing the entire chute. When that is done I will be ready for winter.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Wood

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Tread Asphalt

·
Registered
237 Posts
See attached below from the 49 Snow Thrower Parts Catalog on-line. I have been told by my local dealer that M93730 is no longer available (NLA) but M93731 still is available at the Deere Milan IL Parts Depot. You better be sitting down if you need it though.....over $200.00 (you might find better but you are never going to pay more!)

The only other thing I want to mention is that using the correct shear bolt in the auger to shaft flange should (if the system was originally designed correctly) protect the upstream drive components (like the gear box).

Rectangle Screenshot Font Parallel Software

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yeah those gears are insane, I couldn't find 1 of them. Ended up just buying another nicer unit I found that had a nice and tight box. 🙃 . I would've rebuilt mine, but when I found the price of the gears after seeing the input shaft moved in and out, up and down, after I flipped my cutting blade around and the big pile of rust I had afterwards. Decided to just replace it, and swap the speed up gear and painted chute over.

·
Registered
2 1984 318 1 1992 318 1976 300 3 49 blowers 1 54 blade 4 46 mower decks brinley plow brinley disk.
65 Posts
Hey Grant did the gears I sent you set up ok? My 46 has a whirr in it also but I didn't notice it until I put on 36 tooth sprocket but I've used it that way for 100 hours with no issues. With tall chute it will throw the snow a 100 feet with out the flaps in center.

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Yes Mark, the only issue was getting the one snap ring back on. The PO had ground/filed, and likely pounded on the shafts, but with some persistence and fine emery cloth, I was able to get it all back together.

Reactions: army
61 - 80 of 85 Posts