Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought it on Sept 21, 2001, 10 days after the Towers fell and the country came to a stand still. Had gone window shopping the day before, walked into the dealer planning on writing a check, after stating what I was looking at the salesperson, note the not using "salesman", said GM is offering Zero percent financing as of today. Guess it was meant to be. Was my daily driver for the first 10 years of its life, now it does mostly truck stuff, things in the bed, pulling a trailer or sits in the garage.

Switched to synthetic oil in the spring of 2016 and it stated to use a little oil, never did that on dino juice. Pulled a trailer to Maine that fall, used 2 quarts to get there and I was thinking I made a big mistake. Eventually seamed like it stopped using oil but you never know. July of 2020 I pulled a 20 ft enclosed trailer to southern Louisiana to move one of my sons to grad school. Had to open the windows and turn on the heater when the outdoor temp got above 95 degrees. Didn't stay in overdrive much, had to keep your foot into it pretty good. Best it got on one tank was 10 mpg. Got to their apartment in Lafayette Louisiana, checked the oil, nice, right on the full mark. The best mileage I ever got on dino oil was 17, been getting 19 plus on the synthetic, so I'm now a fan of the synthetic stuff. The original battery lasted 9 years which I thought was great, the Car Quest replacement is still going strong after 12 years.

So after 21 years and 140,000 I think I'll keep it a while longer.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Car

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Nice looking pickup. I like the color too.

·
Premium Member
10,060 Posts
Nice truck Vbosch!! I like the simplicity and good looks of the standard cab.

I have used premium fuel in my 1997 Z71 Silverado extended cab when towing heavy trailers, but usually run mid-grade. With the change in final drive gears to .410 that I made (also for towing reasons...) I subsequently get a pretty solid 15 MPG solo, but about 10.5 when towing the camp trailer. Highway mileage used to be higher with the .373 gears, but towing was worse...since you were using more throttle, and downshifting quite a bit on even the slightest grades. The camp trailer only weighs about 4500 lbs, but at a full 8 foot wide it is a big air resistance back there at highway speeds... The 7500 lb cargo trailer is a bit less frontal area, but heavier of course.

I don't think I 'celebrated' my truck's 21st year, other than being appreciative of how well it has performed every year. It only has to do "truck things" also, and as such has accumulated just 37,000 miles or a bit more since I bought it new in '97.

These trucks are keepers for sure!!

Chuck

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
More than a decade ago, I subscribed to a "salute yourself" approach every year on your birthday that I learned from the Duke's last movie...The Shootist.
I clear the decks at home and work with a day off...followed by a brief visit to the local beverage dispensary, where I order four fingers of aged, single malt Scotch, enjoyed with a good ceegar. During that I remind myself that I am indeed a capital, sterling fellow and one of a kind...then I enjoy my favorite meal/entree and spend the rest of my day with the supervisor who generally agrees. The last part I prefer to be in the shop...where I can fiddle with equipment or update plans for such.
My 22-year-old Tundra gets a tank of high-test and a car wash bath on it's birthday...the day it fell into my hands. Enjoy that truck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
RE:vbosch
That truck looks great for being so old! Was it garaged the whole time? How often did you wash it? How often waxed? edited: Are you going to keep it and enjoy "collector car"?
My truck has been outside for 16 years and wasn't washed regularly and shows it.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
My 07 duramax has been nothing but amazing to me! I decided it was time to upgrade. I’m going to miss the John Deere tailgate though. My new duramax was put to the test towing home my Corolla home from NC yesterday. Tows like nobody’s business. Sitting in the yard she’s got 997 miles! 😎 View attachment 284450
Put it to the test pulling a Corolla?! That’s not even close to working that Duramax!

Reactions: TempletonJDguy

·
Administrator
6,363 Posts
I have a '99 F250 Super Duty with the V10 and it's been great. The only downfall, and it's not a big deal to me, is it's not 4WD. And of course, the gas mileage. I used it to pull a 18 foot trailer, which usually has a tractor or two on it, or a car, or a van, or a truck......The F250 is set up for a 5th wheel and was probably used to tow a horse trailer or a RV in it's previous life before I bought it used.

View attachment 284452 View attachment 284452
Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Automotive tire
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RE:vbosch
That truck looks great for being so old! Was it garaged the whole time? How often did you wash it? How often waxed? edited: Are you going to keep it and enjoy "collector car"?
My truck has been outside for 16 years and wasn't washed regularly and shows it.
Yes it's in the garage most of the time and was washed weekly when it was my daily driver. Every couple years I'd park it in the grass and oil it down with drain oil under it and in all the panels I could get to. I did fix both cab corners and a couple spots on the rockers over the years. I also had a brake line rust thru under the radiator. Put all stainless lines on it and of course, the first caliper had the bleeder rusted and couldn't get it loose so all new calipers and pads.

Loaded up this morning, heading to one of my sons this afternoon to help with his addition. Normally I take the car but this week I had some stuff to bring along.

Wheel Tire Cloud Vehicle Sky

1 - 12 of 12 Posts