Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Information for jd 316-318-420 garden tractor owners wanting to re-new their tractor’s firewall insulation!

I’ve been offering kits for several years now to help you accomplish this, while trying to improve the kits and make it easier for you.

My latest improvement is to offer to pre-form the holes in the mylar faced insulation for the bolts in the metal firewall and make the notches where the side panels fit on each side of the tractor.

Maybe a photo is worth a thousand words here! Here is a photo of a PSA kit for the 316-318-420 garden tractors, ready to package with these holes formed for you. ALSO included are other tips for proper installation. PSA adhesive is Peel + Stick Adhesive.

All you need to do is finish cutting the foam with good sharp scissors as shown on the pattern for the ONAN. The newer V2 engines on repower require a smaller opening for the engine flyweel fan and you should adapt the firewall similar to what I did on my 420 repower shown here.

Maybe you can spot the 6 holes I now make in each piece of the new cross-thread reinforced mylar faced PSA type foam.

Price if paid to me for the jd 316-318-420 garden tractors new PSA kit is currently $37 by PayPal. Please email me to [email protected] with your model number and engine to be used in your project and I will bill you thru paypal. Shipping to you in the lower 48 states by USPS first class mail with tracking is included in your cost of $37.00 by PAYPAL.

I also offer different PSA kits for the 430 at same price $37 and PSA kits for the 317 and 400 firewall @ $28 each.

My version of the foam blocks for the 317 side panels for those 317s with KT17 engines are $16 for the pair.

Also I now offer the foam kit for replacing the hood insulation piece on jd322-330-332 @$16.00

Contact me at [email protected]

I will be unable to fill request from early June to late July due to extended camping trip. Thank You! J

Attachments

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW. Shipping by USPS First Class Mail Parcel with tracking in the lower 48 states USA is included in the prices shown above.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Customer's photo of 318 with the new insulation installed.

Here is a quote from a rece nt buyer of my firewall kit for these tractors. Comments like this make it all worthwhile to me. Thanks!

Hi John,
You have probably seen hundreds of these pics but here's one more. I finally got some time to work on my 318. Pulled the engine and installed your firewall insulation. Went in with no problems and what a difference in the air flow coming from the front grill. Glad I found that post on the importance of the insulation and your email address.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If you are presently interested in the firewall insulation kits, I do have them available this week. I am leaving on a trip early next week and will be gone for about 7 weeks.

Cutting off orders on Sunday June 7 so email me now if you need a kit.

[email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I now have a much improved kit for the John Deere 430 garden tractor shown below.
It is similar to the 316/318/420 kits in that it has the patterns outlined on the mylar face.
Kit includes both the firewall insulation and the two pieces that go on the front of the side panels.
I will take photos of the firewall piece later this morning and post here in this thread.
Price of this 430 kit including the USPS postage in the lower 48 states is $40.00 per kit.

[email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Information for jd 316-318-420 garden tractor owners wanting to re-new their tractor’s firewall insulation!

I’ve been offering kits for several years now to help you accomplish this, while trying to improve the kits and make it easier for you.

My latest improvement is to offer to pre-form the holes in the mylar faced insulation for the bolts in the metal firewall and make the notches where the side panels fit on each side of the tractor.

Maybe a photo is worth a thousand words here! Here is a photo of a PSA kit for the 316-318-420 garden tractors, ready to package with these holes formed for you. ALSO included are other tips for proper installation. PSA adhesive is Peel + Stick Adhesive.

All you need to do is finish cutting the foam with good sharp scissors as shown on the pattern for the ONAN. The newer V2 engines on repower require a smaller opening for the engine flyweel fan and you should adapt the firewall similar to what I did on my 420 repower shown here.

Maybe you can spot the 6 holes I now make in each piece of the new cross-thread reinforced mylar faced PSA type foam.

Price if paid to me for the jd 316-318-420 garden tractors new PSA kit is currently $37 by PayPal. Please email me to [email protected] with your model number and engine to be used in your project and I will bill you thru paypal. Shipping to you in the lower 48 states by USPS first class mail with tracking is included in your cost of $37.00 by PAYPAL.

I also offer different PSA kits for the 430 at same price $37 and PSA kits for the 317 and 400 firewall @ $28 each.

My version of the foam blocks for the 317 side panels for those 317s with KT17 engines are $16 for the pair.

Also I now offer the foam kit for replacing the hood insulation piece on jd322-330-332 @$16.00

I will be unable to fill request from early June to late July due to extended camping trip. Thank You! J

Notice! Just a reminder! I will have to cut off orders tonight and payment must be made by tomorrow Monday June 8, 2015.

One change on pricing. The much improved new kit I just now developed for the jd430 is now priced at $40.00 including the shipping. Thanks again for all the orders!
Please spread the word. I'll hope to make kits available again in Late July.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Photo of Mylar faced firewall insulation kit for John Deere 430 garden tractor.

I now have a much improved kit for the John Deere 430 garden tractor shown below.
It is similar to the 316/318/420 kits in that it has the patterns outlined on the mylar face.
Kit includes both the firewall insulation and the two pieces that go on the front of the side panels.
I will take photos of the firewall piece later this morning and post here in this thread.
Price of this 430 kit including the USPS postage in the lower 48 states is $40.00 per kit.

[email protected]
Here is a photo of the new improved Mylar faced kit for the jd430 firewall. I also cut out those 2 pieces of insulation for the left and right side panels for you and they are included with the kit. Also shown in the photo are the two patterns I use to make up the kits for the 430.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a photo of the new improved Mylar faced kit for the jd430 firewall. I also cut out those 2 pieces of insulation for the left and right side panels for you and they are included with the kit. Also shown in the photo are the two patterns I use to make up the kits for the 430.
Here is photo of the 430 kit foam pieces.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have received quite a number of requests from various persons requesting info and wanting to order kits. I can not answer these requests until we return home in a week or ten days due to email message sending problems. Please pass the word on if you see questions in other threads or forums! Sorry & Thanks!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have received quite a number of requests from various persons requesting info and wanting to order kits. I can not answer these requests until we return home in a week or ten days due to email message sending problems. Please pass the word on if you see questions in other threads or forums! Sorry & Thanks!
Good news, I am home and ready to fill orders now again!

Great trip, 7222 miles in all in 4 weeks.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seven orders filled the last couple days and out of product until Monday July 13th.

Thanks everyone! Send emails now to get first dibs on the new shipment.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Updated information for jd 316-318-420 garden tractor owners wanting to re-new their tractor’s firewall insulation!

Price if paid to me for the jd 316-318-420 garden tractors new PSA kit is currently $37 by PayPal. Please email me to [email protected] with your model number and engine to be used in your project and I will bill you thru paypal. Shipping to you in the lower 48 states by USPS first class mail with tracking is included in current cost of $38.00 by PAYPAL.

I also offer an improved PSA type kit for the 430 at current price $40 and PSA kits for the 317 and 400 firewall @ $28 each.

Thank You!
JRL
Good time to update your firewall insulation is when the engine is removed. See photos attached here!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can now ship firewall insulation kits to those of you in Canada thru the mail with tracking to you. Price is slightly higher but if interested, email me and I will give you a quote.
Here is sample.

Price for a 316/318/420 kit mailed to Ontario was $45 USD paid thru PayPal.
specify what engine you have and whether engine will be removed or not for the install. Thanks!

JRL in Iowa

contact me at:

[email protected]

Attachments

1 - 20 of 177 Posts