Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering a repower for my JD317 that currently has a BS 18 hp IC twin. It is a good fit, however the following issues
The Bad
Governor, exhaust outlet, barely adequate ignition and low max charging current.

The Good
Fits well in engine bay
PTO perfect fit without adapter Used stock JD belt for mower. Think that means I got it the right height.
Side covers fit
Fuel system no issues
Electrical as noted otherwise no issues
Mates up well with the JD hood heat shield. Uses existing stock bolt holes

So why am I fussing. Well I want it right all the way around and have newer technology. Also I am tired of looking at it in the garage.

As a result I am considering a 18 hp BS Vanguard Twin.
The plan
Make adapters to mount to existing KT17 engine mounts.
Use SEW muffler
Use SEW stubshaft. It is 6.51 inches long or make an adapter hub of the proper thickness?
Adapter wiring to mate with JD wiring
Oil filter adapter, not a remote kit.

I would like the thoughts and experience of those who have gone before me, so I can live long and proper instead of working on this for the rest of my years. Really just don't want to waste money and time. I want it to look like it came out a factory.

Free BS 18hp IC Twin to whoever would like to have it. U haul it once I have it out of my tractor. In fact if you want to pull it to see how I have it installed, come on over (wax on, wax off)

·
Administrator
6,156 Posts
Interesting, your join date says December 1969, which is impossible since WFM first began in January 2002.

Anyways, I moved this to the proper forum. You originally posted it in the Late Model Forum which is basically for tractors built after 1992. 317s were built from 1979 to 1982.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Considering a repower for my JD317 that currently has a BS 18 hp IC twin. It is a good fit, however the following issues
The Bad
Governor, exhaust outlet, barely adequate ignition and low max charging current.

The Good
Fits well in engine bay
PTO perfect fit without adapter Used stock JD belt for mower. Think that means I got it the right height.
Side covers fit
Fuel system no issues
Electrical as noted otherwise no issues
Mates up well with the JD hood heat shield. Uses existing stock bolt holes

So why am I fussing. Well I want it right all the way around and have newer technology. Also I am tired of looking at it in the garage.

As a result I am considering a 18 hp BS Vanguard Twin.
The plan
Make adapters to mount to existing KT17 engine mounts.
Use SEW muffler
Use SEW stubshaft. It is 6.51 inches long or make an adapter hub of the proper thickness?
Adapter wiring to mate with JD wiring
Oil filter adapter, not a remote kit.

I would like the thoughts and experience of those who have gone before me, so I can live long and proper instead of working on this for the rest of my years. Really just don't want to waste money and time. I want it to look like it came out a factory.

Free BS 18hp IC Twin to whoever would like to have it. U haul it once I have it out of my tractor. In fact if you want to pull it to see how I have it installed, come on over (wax on, wax off)
What are you tied of looking at?
What is the location of the BS 18hp IC Twin?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Location of engine is Northern Virginia where I reside. I have been taking pictures as I disassemble the tractor, so others might gather some intel.

At least I know the post is being read. I am getting corrections on my typos. This is also good. I want my garage back for other projects on the waiting list, such as a couple of hit and miss gas engines.

Still need advice, HELP.

J Lightning

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Okay, let me know when you have it out and I'll make arrangements to haul it off for you. I don't have any experience with anything except a Honda in a 317. It had the Hugh muffler that wouldn't fit under the hood, that and no power steering encouraged me to not use it often.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I did a repower on my 317 a few years ago. I bought the engine in a kit form from Jim's Repair in Minnesota and he walked me through the install. His installation does away with the whole engine cradle and you mount the engine directly to the frame. You also have to make a new driveshaft, which isn't a big deal as he supplies all the parts for that. By mounting the engine to the frame is allows the side covers to fit. You will have to use a remote filter mount, which he supplies too. I mounted mine under the battery tray.

·
Registered
134 Posts
A Kohler Magnum is a direct drop in for the older Kohler KT17 engines. I did that in my 317 and the only change in addition to that is to redo the wiring
for a magneto style ignition for the Magnum. The Vanguard engines are a little more involved to switch over. There are lots of repower threads if you do a search.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input gentlemen. Any thoughts on using a Kohler engine from a Cub Cadet 3184? Think the PTO is 1-1/8"?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts