Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a JD 214 from a weekend freedom machine member summer of 2011. Great investment. The member bypassed the seat switch by disconnecting the wire and putting a "u" shaped wire between the pos and neg and wrapping in black tape. While the machine was running I reached under the seat to pull out the wire and the electrical tape must have pealed off and I touched something and there was a spark and the machine stopped and now I can't get it started.

I downloaded the John Deere 214 Service Manual SM2105 (Oct-76) from this sight and it appears to me the most likely issue is the circuit breaker (page 20-1 charging system). But I don't have a lot of time to test each component. Anyone with knowledge know what happened and what I should do?

Thanks,

Joey!

·
Registered
588 Posts
An open circuit occurs on the seat safety switch whenever there is no weight on the seat cushion. Should that occur when the PTO lever is engaged it will kill the engine. If you pulled out the jumper while the PTO was engaged the engine should have died as it did. While you may have tripped the CB it is also possible one or more of the start safety interlocks is out of position. When you attempted to restart the engine are you certain that the PTO lever was in the off position and the gear shift lever was in neutral? The neutral safety switch can have very little tolerance and sometime just having the lever slightly out of position is enough to prevent starter engagement. If you have an ohm meter you can quickly determine if the CB is in an OPEN/tripped state and replace if necessary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate your response. The PTO wasn't on at the time; I was hoping it would have been as simple as not having my neutral or PTO in the correct position. I understand that checking the CB for resistance is a rather simple test and I will do it tomorrow. I'm very bad at this kind of stuff and it took me too long to actually get registered and to post my question and that prevented me from going and finding and testing the CB. I'll do it tomorrow. It seems like purchasing a CB online is difficult to so I'll check out the cost at the JD dealer tomorrow as well. Mondays and weekdays are difficult for me to accomplish much since JD dealer closes at 5:30 and I often am not off work by then.

Thanks again and I am looking forward to keeping in touch with you guy!

Joey

1 - 3 of 3 Posts