Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used IH white on a patio? Trying to make a decision? Thanks for any input. Krylon makes an enamel that could be sprayed in gun.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
The IH white is very close to Brinly white. How close is Brinly white to patio white?

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
For what its worth there are 3 IH whites. Brinly used what ever IH white was being used in the IH factory that built CCs in the same town as Brinly was. From memory Louisville Kentucky. Roger

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure about how close the whites are, I repainted brinly plow not to long ago I might see if I still have any white I used. Does IH still make 3 whites or someone does? Or maybe someone has a brinly and patio to compare?

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Recently you could get all 3 whites from Case IH or at least the closest dealer could get them. I have a few CCs also including a low serial number recoil start Original from March of 1961 and white on that one was different than the later 2 Originals I have. Roger

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I don’t think you are making this too hard. The color is what made those tractors special.

Reactions: ptzbrg

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
What I did for Brinly white... my disc frame had about 1/4sq icnh of unmolested protected from the elements paint on it and I took this to an afterarket auto body supply shop and went through hundereds of paint sample cards and was able (as close as my eye could get) a match and had a quart made.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and maybe I need to do that I have a piece of engine shrounding that looks unmolested and clean that I could take to auto body, I just have a hard time justifying what they charge and I think they want to be able to make so much. how much do you think I will need for all the white, seat pan, parts and pieces, tire rims? 1 quart, 2 quarts? for spray gun. the paint plus hardener right.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
If you bring a sample to my local True Value hardware store they will electronically make a paint match for you in their paint. That is how I got the color for my Sears SS12. The color they sold me was a perfect match. They also keep a record of that paint color on their computer and If i want more they can mix it for me. There was not charge for the service if you buy the paint. Roger

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
and just fyi just got off phone with PPG who sent me to finishmaster paints, who did havae the old ppg # in there computer and # showed up as dogwood white, but has been discontinued and they have no cross reference to something that is readily available.

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
I believe the paint I got was pre-thinned, so yes you would need hardener aswell. The paint I got also had a short shelf life because of being premixed. So I would buy a quart at a time

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I’ve used this paint for an old Original Cub and Brinley equipment. It was available a Rural King.

IMG_0151.jpg
IMG_0149.jpg

·
Registered
236 Posts
Matt, I don’t believe that the picture you have does justice for the actual color. Looks way to white to me. I always thought that the IH white was called the dogwood white and that it was a close match to the patio and brinly stuff as well. But I have nothing to compare them to. There was an article in Lawn and Garden tractor magazine about the patios awhile back. Can’t remember exactly when. Showed a collection in there seems like from a couple brothers or maybe a father and son who has all the colors to be had. I don’t keep my old issues. I think Kate is a member here. She is an editor with Brandon P. You might can contact her to put you in touch with these guys. I think they even advertise in that magazine. They sell jd mower parts I believe.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for all that, I guess i'm getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on the valspar john deere yellow for the hood and the krylon IH white. I guess the last thing I could do on the white is just buy a spray can of IH white krylon and spray a little bit on something and compare to my tractor color that is the cleanest. I mean at least the krylon and Valspar are relatively easy accessible and not that pricey. there both enamels I assume I will use a % of hardener in both.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
What brand paint are you using? How’s it compare to Brinly white?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts