Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Our 1968 JD110 broke down, the very last time we mowed at the end of summer... Turns out it needs a new piston and rod. They're about $200 and $116 each. Our mechanic would also replace the rings/gasket, so we're looking at a good bit of money. Our question is, is it worth it? We bought the JD for $450. We've had minor issues with it because of wear but nothing serious up 'til now.

Are there ways to get the parts second hand? I guess that might not be a good idea but I thought I'd throw it out there...

Any info would be appreciated!

Roel van Eck
Honey Grove, TX

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
You will surely get replies from those that will only use Kohler parts. I have used Stens/Rotary parts in more than one engine and have found them to be very good. In the past, Stens did not offer a minus 0.010" rod so I had to use Kohler for that. The kit Cliff showed does offer an undersized rod ( -0.010), so either they are making one now or providing the Kohler part.
IMHO, more rebuild problems are caused by reusing parts that are out of spec. (cylinder bore, crank journal, etc.) or improper assembly, than the brand of replacement parts. Been there, done that! LOL

Keep in mind, parts such as camshaft shims, governor parts, and linkages, will have to come from Kohler. Check the head for flatness and repair as necessary.

Is it worth it? Hopefully you can answer that as you investigate alternatives. It may be that you can find a good used K181 from another Deere that could cost less than a rebuild of the original. Once the engine is torn down and completely inspected for other damage, that may be necessary anyway. Good luck with your 110. Save it if you can.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I agree with Tom. get the Stens parts and mow for another 40 years

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
I found a place to get rings for my Tecumseh VH70 at www.hastingsmfg.com and the piston was found at a JD dealer in Wisconsin

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for your answers. I've moved this project to the back burner. When my boys (4 of them and currently 5 and below) grow up a bit, it could be a serious homeschool project for them!! :) For now we have bought another JD 110, from 1974 this time. It works great, although I just lost my steering capability after a great round of mowing the backyard. I'll post about that in a separate thread...

Roel

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Use aftermarket parts and mow for another 40 years?....pretty sure the first 40 years weren't thanks to aftermarket parts...

·
Registered
694 Posts
Roel, be careful about making these green machines a 'homeschool project'. I started that way, on my Great-Grandpa's '74 110. It ran good (before I was born) but we are restoring it now. I now have overhauled a 318, a '67 110, and currently a '69 112. I got my piston and rings for my '67 110 from HAPCO parts for about $60. But I have many thanks to my mechanics teacher, my retired cousin who has worked on cars all his life. You won't get away with just one project tractor with 4 boys! Believe me, you will get your share of teaching mechanics class!! Also it's nice to meet another homeschooling family! Garrett

1 - 10 of 10 Posts