Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
Wheel Horse Commando 800 with Kohler K181S, 1972
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am new to this site and it's looks like a great place to discuss about my engine rebuild. Anyways, I have a 1972 Wheel Horse Commando 800 with the Kohler K181S. The thing was burning a lot of oil and leaking a lot. I have it completely disassembled and ready to order new parts. I used my micrometer to measure everything. The engine block is good. Although my valve guides are within wear spec, I'm a little concerned because my valves were ticking a lot. And my crankshaft is too out-of-round where the piston rode connects.

Could bad valve guides cause valve ticking?

According to Kohler, the max out of round for the crankshaft is .0005, but the biggest OOR I have is .0007. Is this a serious problem, or should I ignore it and put standard size parts on it? If it does matter, how do I get this fixed?

My engine ran pretty well and had good power, so I'm wondering if any of this really even matters since it's just barely out of the max wear specs.

This is my first engine rebuild on anything, so try to keep it simple enough that I can understand. Appreciate your responses.

· Registered
764 Posts
The crank needs ground .10 under. I think the valves should be fine.

· Registered
2,887 Posts
What was the valve lash before tear down? That might’ve been your ticking. Also it is 50 years old and parts are still available… depends on what your plans are for the tractor. Still in service as a work horse, retirement, semi retirement..

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What was the valve lash before tear down? That might’ve been your ticking. Also it is 50 years old and parts are still available… depends on what your plans are for the tractor. Still in service as a work horse, retirement, semi retirement..
When you say valve lash, do you mean the gap between the valves inside the valve cover?

If that's what you're talking about, the last time I checked, they were all within Kohler's specifications. But that was over a year ago. This rebuild kit I'm getting will include new valves.

· Registered
JD 210, JD 318, 2 JD 214s, Allis-Chalmers WD45 diesel, Allis-Chalmers WD JI Case 220, JI Case 446
91 Posts
I’d bore .010 over, grind the crank .010 under, put new valve guides in, and shave the head…
If you have an overhaul kit from isavetractors than you should have a gasket kit, a piston and rings, valves, carb, coil, point and condenser, and crank bearings. You will have to order the valve guides separately though.
I hope this helps someone…
I did all that to a 1979 JD 214 and it hasn’t burned a drop of engine oil since I did that..
I’m pretty sure you’d be happy though if you put new valve guides in, on another tractor I have (JD 210 with a Kohler k241) I just put a kit in and nothing else and it still burns oil and I’m pretty sure it’s the valve guides.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I’d bore .010 over, grind the crank .010 under, put new valve guides in, and shave the head…
If you have an overhaul kit from isavetractors than you should have a gasket kit, a piston and rings, valves, carb, coil, point and condenser, and crank bearings. You will have to order the valve guides separately though.
I hope this helps someone…
I did all that to a 1979 JD 214 and it hasn’t burned a drop of engine oil since I did that..
I’m pretty sure you’d be happy though if you put new valve guides in, on another tractor I have (JD 210 with a Kohler k241) I just put a kit in and nothing else and it still burns oil and I’m pretty sure it’s the valve guides.
Thanks for your input. I did everything you listed (minus boring .010. Engine wear limit was within spec), and I did use the the isavetractors kit for my engine.

I also have a question about your engine. You said it’s burning oil. Did you check your piston ring clearance or measure your engine block cylinder? What weight oil are you using? And also how long have you run the engine? It might be that it’s just burning off excess oil.

· Registered
JD 210, JD 318, 2 JD 214s, Allis-Chalmers WD45 diesel, Allis-Chalmers WD JI Case 220, JI Case 446
91 Posts
I use John Deere 10W30 Turf-Guard.
I did check the rings and from what I remember they were within in spec ( it’s been a couple of years) but I do remember that the guides had slop in them…

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It does sound like your guides. There is an ebay seller that sells guides for 14 USD a piece I think. Way cheaper than the ones from isavetractors. I like norman don't get me wrong, but sometimes his stuff is overpriced. I do like his complete overhaul kit though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts