Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a John Deere 140 yesterday. Got really good deal on it. Was out today looking it over and noticed fuel line was off so took carburetor clean it up. Added a new battery today and cranked it over, check starter out and everything turns free on motor.

But what struck me as odd when motor turning the oil dipstick pops up.So took it out see what was going on. Seems real lose and looks like bottom below add mark has rubbed something. Any idea?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
You are building crankcase pressure.

• Is it oily around the breather tube?
    • If yes you are getting blowby past the rings
    • Do a compression test
  • If no breather may be plugged
    • Do a crankcase vacuum test (manometer test)
KT17 series II in my 317 did the same thing. There was an updated breather for the engine. I installed and resolved the problem. Just saying ... do not overlook the breather.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey thanks do you remember the part number for the updated breather kit, also need fuel filter number, not one on it.

As far as dip stick goes, rubbed down maybe wrong dip stick?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, like said this my first John Deere and think I done good on it. Needs a little work. Really like find the 0 3 point hitch for the back.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I would say so. Nice machine.
Check out the breather like Gabby said and check the rubber on the dipstick. It may have dried out and not keeping it in place.
Since you mentioned about points with PO having issues, they may need to be replaced or just cleaned up and set to correct gap. If you don't have one get a service manual and it will make things a lot easier.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Breather I referenced was for a Kohler KT17 Series 2 twin cylinder in a 317. More than likely will not work in K301/K321 Kohler engines.

I do not know which engine you have but looks like both 12hp and 14hp use same breather ... https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/82689/referrer/navigation/pgId/17516219

Fuel filter from factory was either a shutoff valve with strainer (key 7) ... https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/65175/referrer/navigation/pgId/62681
or sediment bulb (key 7A) ... https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/82689/referrer/navigation/pgId/17444806

Often in line fuel filter AM116304 is added.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Engine s/n plate shows K301 (12 HP) engine so tractor is a 1968 model.

K301AS Kohler Engine
1968 Model (Serial No. -10,000)

This will be needed to order parts.

Gabby

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Gabby, went part store town today get filter and gas line. But they where out lol. So try again tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
3,402 Posts
I'd bet a nickle on the clogged breather. Regularly neglected part. Still scratching my head on the dipstick. Maybe ran it with it loose in the hole? There's nothing else for the dipstick to hit. That's why it's placed where it is. My other thought is maybe something happened to it during an oil change while it was out of the engine. Just one of those strange things. I wouldn't let it keep me up at night.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
That engine may have balance gears, I'll look at JD parts The dipstick is close to the balance gears if it has them. checked JD parts and the early engine has balance gears. They sit on a short shaft and held on with a small snap ring. OUCH

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That engine may have balance gears, I'll look at JD parts The dipstick is close to the balance gears if it has them. checked JD parts and the early engine has balance gears. They sit on a short shaft and held on with a small snap ring. OUCH
My be dumb question, but is that good or bad. Lol seen the OUCH. You thinking dipstick messed up and it's hitting the balance gears.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I'm thinking those gears are worn and flopping around on the stub shafts and about to fall off and destroy the engine. Years ago on WFM everyone recommended removing the balance gears.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh Lord hope that's not case. Guy bought it from gave my paper from shop where his dad had the engine going through, 3 years ago. Of that one 1year it set in his garage. New rings and seals all that good stuff. How would test that without pulling engine.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My 140 blows the dipstick out on startup all the time, just shove it in and dont worry about it.
I know mine is from bad rings that's why my 2nd motor is getting rebuilt as soon as my parts get here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You have a 12 HP Kohler. The To584 means that it is a H3 I can't tell from the picture but you should have three hydraulic control levers. A single and a double. Valve clearance cold is 0.010 intake and 0.020 exhaust. Speed fast no load should be 3800 RPM, idle 1200 RPM Crankcase holds 3 pints 30 weight summer and 5W-20 winter, Transmission is 5 quarts your local John Deere dealer will have that and the filter on hand. Less than 50 bucks. Compression should be 110-120 PSI Spark gap should be 0.025 point gap should be 0.020

If you need more info let me know. I am looking at the manuals now. I have a 1968 H1 140 with a 48 inch deck, a 1969 H1 140 with a 38 inch deck, a 1973 H1 with a 48 inch deck and a 1974 H3 witha snowblower, rear tiller and a 48 inch deck. Buying one more tonight, a 1968 H3 with a bunch of attachments

If I may ask, what did you pay for the 140?

Pat

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
You have a 12 HP Kohler. The To584 means that it is a H3 I can't tell from the picture but you should have three hydraulic control levers. A single and a double. Valve clearance cold is 0.010 intake and 0.020 exhaust. Speed fast no load should be 3800 RPM, idle 1200 RPM Crankcase holds 3 pints 30 weight summer and 5W-20 winter, Transmission is 5 quarts your local John Deere dealer will have that and the filter on hand. Less than 50 bucks. Compression should be 110-120 PSI Spark gap should be 0.025 point gap should be 0.020

If you need more info let me know. I am looking at the manuals now. I have a 1968 H1 140 with a 48 inch deck, a 1969 H1 140 with a 38 inch deck, a 1973 H1 with a 48 inch deck and a 1974 H3 witha snowblower, rear tiller and a 48 inch deck. Buying one more tonight, a 1968 H3 with a bunch of attachments

If I may ask, what did you pay for the 140?

Pat
Hey thanks for all the info and specs. Found out it's an early 68 140H3. I bought it for $450.00. Came with front hydro scraper blade and almost new deck. Right now working on carb and fuel lines. They where unhooked and gas tank drained. Took pitcock vavle out bottom tank and cleaned it. The screen on it is gone. So now trying find inline filter AM116304 that Gabby suggested, parts store was out in town. Also trying figure out where route fuel line either over or under the carb.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
If your engine was overhauled 3 years ago, I wouldn't think anything would be wrong engine wise.
As far as the dipstick blowing out, my 140 did that 15 years ago. It was just the rubber seal drying out and shrinking. I took a pair of pliers and compressed the seal and cap far enough to slip a split washer under the indent on the top of the seal/cap. It's kept the cap in place just fine every since. It was meant to be a temporary fix, but what the heck, why mess with success! :thumb:

Steve

1 - 20 of 31 Posts