Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any-body have any luck lately finding parts for our Peerless 2800 gearbox (2000) rpm rear pto' . In particular ; I'm searching for the input shaft Part # 776215A or (B) . This seems to be an effort in futility for me , and I'm usually pretty good at finding things . Has the whole Tecumseh thing (going out of business)- totally dried up any options other than custom making ??
In particular ; The input splines on mine are worn past my comfort level . I was thinking building the area up with welding , then maybe fit with a taper coupling/flange with bolt through the shaft .

I must admit - I haven't tried my John Deere dealer yet , so don't know what they might have . I guess maybe one of them could have something . I will call them also .

Any input welcome : Dave

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Darrin - I've used them before (Parts Tree) , but it seems they take forever ,then email you that the part (S) is not available . Haven't tried ordering this particular part , but others I've tried , didn't have much luck . Too old I guess . Not me ,(the part)!

Dave

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rey -

Yes they did [Peerless 2800-004]-(not hex shaft , but 6 spline X 1 3/8 " round ), but it was only offered for the 1800 Utility vehicle . Will work on our 318s' thru 430s' , and is a direct bolt and go , save for and the mile and a half long shaft . I'm having one cut down as we speak to fit up on my 420 . See Thread "540 rear PTO on a 420" in this same category /

Dave

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow - just called my local dealer , and they want 153 dollars for that input shaft !! May have to break out the J-B weld and the Hay-seed engineering book for this one !

Went to parts tree and put theirs in my cart @ 87 bucks for now ..., we'll see later if it's available .

Thanks all , for the info ; Dave

·
Registered
351 Posts
Where did you get the gear box? Just called my dealer and he said it was no longer available.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To get all fitted up with new parts from Deere is gonna cost about 275 dollars because the new style input shaft requires the new style PTO flange coupler AM103498 @ 116 + tax . The hay-seed engineering handbook + J-B weld is still an option in my mind . Deere does show both pieces available , so that is a good thing , just pricey .

·
Registered
607 Posts
David,
I contacted a place out of Alabama that may be able to get the whole case assembly. For around $400. Still waiting for them to call back.
http://www.outdoordistributors.com/peerless/peerless-partslists.html
Glad to know the internals are available. If I can get a good case I'm just going to make one. I did this with my 332 couldnt afford to going market prices so I got a blown up one and built it up from there.
Got any pictures of the buildup?
Michael

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Micheal - My build up is basically grafting 3 into 1 type thing . First I found one on CL that had a broken case lower mount arm , but every-thing else was perfect . Next I posted an ad here for a parts unit , where Brother Jeff Reichman was kind enough to answer to my needs , then another CL posters' ad was answered for my third donor .

So I ended up with 3 units with all sorts of problems : They varied from a broken housing , a broken output shaft receptacle , to the common (old style) input shaft worn at spline / coupler . Deere or Peerless redesigned this input shaft / coupler interface with the new tapered & bolted together coupler , and that is the only one available now . Part #s' input gearshaft=m71724 ($153.00)flange coupler=AM103498 ($116.00). So 275 bills just to renew input shaft . They will also let you buy the bolt and washer too from them . No thanks , I'll do fine . I don't think these are gonna get any cheaper either as time goes on , and peoples stuff starts wearing out .., so I guess the only thing to do if you need parts is get'em while you can and while they're at the lowest cost ..., in the here and now . I will probably end up with some spare parts maybe when I'm done , if I ever .., So you know . Hope you don't have to buy that output shaft either , Ouch . As a caviat , In the three or four I've examined , never have I seen any unusual wear on the gearing or internals of the units'.; So they appear to be preeeety robust as far as design engineering goes .

Pictures will be coming on this one .., it's on the back-burner while I'm on the 540 rpm gearbox thingy in another post .

Thanks for the interest ; Dave

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Up-date -

Bit the bullet , ordered the revised (bolt through tapered hub that should never experience any wear) , gearbox input-shaft/flange coupler from my local Deere dealer . OUCH
@275 approx. + sams'cut . They said still available , we'll see . I went to Deere because I wanted to be sure I was getting Deeres' revised 'heavy-duty' taper & bolt thru version .
Seems that on the Peerless diagrams , they showed two different input gear shafts , but only one part no . , and it appeared that was for the straight splined slip-fit(old style) version . I wanted to make sure I didn't end up with that one . My dealer assured that the parts were the 'new and improved' parts I speak of .

Thanks to all that have contributed : Dave

Ps. I plan on posting detailed pictures showing the difference between the two (old v: new) versions , just in case any one is unsure (as I was) on this aspect of the basic unit .

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

new v old . new shaft is 3/8" shorter on the coupler end .

Glad I went ahead and ordered this bolt now , because it is high grade 8-or-9 , plus is left handed threads Only $1.45 so it was cheaper than I could source it . Washer showed NLA , so I get to try to figure out if they use a specific profile washer or what . I'm thinking a thick concave maybe .

old worn out coupling hub

New taper-lock coupler hub

Over-all finished material was not the normal John Deere fit and finish that I have been used to expecting ; nothing major , but looked like that disc material had been drug under a fork lift wheel on asphalt , next to zero paint ad-hession . There's no telling who Deere farmed this piece out to make . No Biggy , purely cosmetic .., Just saying - Gheez.

Well I'm off to see if I can find the other pieces to get it all built .

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts