Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just picked up a 210 with hydraulic lift to go with my 214's. came with a deck, 3 point hitch, and brinley attachment. Tractor was used about a year ago and sat outside through the winter ( covered). Drained fuel, replaced filter and pumped new gas through the lines. Before turning it over I removed the spark plug and I poured some mystery oil and rust blaster in the cylinder, let it sit for a week, to help if rings were stuck.

Turned the engine by hand and the crankshaft turned real easy - - when I went to turn it over would not start. I have fire and I fuel. I removed the plug to check for some compression and noticed there was zero piston movement.

Am I missing something or do I have a seized piston with a spun bearing? I would think like my 214 I should see that piston movement.

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
James you have a broken connecting rod if the piston is not going up and down. You may have other internal damage ii the rod did break. That is probably why the tractor was no longer used. Time to take the engine out and see how bad it is. I assume you mean an integral hitch as 200s didn't have a 3 point system from the factory. You won't know what you have until you take it apart. If nothing else it will be a good parts tractor. Roger

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
On a 210, or many other single cylinder Kohlers used in these Deere tractors, you can't see the piston through the spark plug hole. What you are seeing is one of the valves. If it stuck open, you have no compression.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree with Cliff. You can't see the piston through the spark plug hole. I just tried to get a 212 running that had been sitting for a couple of years. After trying everything, I pulled the head off and I found out I had a stuck exhaust valve. I let it soak for a while then gently tapped it down, then turned the engine over by hand. I repeated this process several times until the valve worked freely. It's been running fine since.

·
Registered
55 Posts
All,

Thanks a lot for the insight and suggestions. I am going to pull the head to get a better look and see if it is in fact a stuck valve. the valve has some carbon build up for just from the visual through the spark plug hole so it might be stuck. I have been soaking it as much as possible. I'll post again once I dig in.

thanks again.

@ roger - - it is the integral hitch for the 200 not 3 point --

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the input. I pulled the head and it did have a stuck valve. Sprayed it up and then gently coaxed it down. New head gasket and she fired right up and actually ran perfectly.

As would have it, I noticed something else. At higher speeds I have a pretty loud whirring/whine in the transaxle. Doesn't do it at low speeds or reverse. Fluid level checked out all right. I have always has a low whine in my 214 but this whine is not right.

Any thoughts in this one would be great.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I lifted the backend and turned the wheels slowly by hand and the whine is exactly the same on both sides and it sounds like the bevel gears. sounds like normal operation

I changed trans oil to 85-140 and it quieted down a lot. Sounds like the red line oil could even quiet it down more.

Thanks a lot guys. I now have three 200 series in the barn. Wife is now thinking I need psychiatric care when I told her I need a tractor for every attachment!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.