Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
John Deere 317 #1046648 and 33 Tiller
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new here on the forum. I just picked up what I believe to be a 1980 317 with a model 33 tiller. I am only the second owner and everything still functions as it should.
I am hoping to find a blade for the front but I live in Oregon so hopefully, I won't have to have one shipped across the country. I posted on the thread for the operator's manual for the tiller but have not got a response yet. Here are a few pics. I'm excited to be a part of this WF community. Thanks for having me, Cheers!
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Motor vehicle Font Gas Nameplate Metal
Yellow Paint Font Motor vehicle Gas

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
Welcome to WFM

·
Registered
833 Posts
Welcome to WFM from west Ky. Looks like a nice machine. Good luck with the hunt for a blade.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Congratulations on the 317. With the PTO setup and tiller, it will be a great workhorse for you. Just in case you do not know the history of the 317 and its engines, the pre 1982 317's shipped from the factory with a Kohler KT17QS engine. The engine was not designed to be operated at an angle or on slopes and many failed due to lack of lube when operated on hillsides. Dealers replaced them with the Kohler KT17 series II or Onan engines but there are quite a few KT17QS engines still operating in 317's. According to tractordata.com, Deere started putting the Kohler KT17 Series II engines in 317s starting in 1982 with serial numbers 24300 and up.

If your tractor still has the original KT17QS engine, it should continue to work fine as long as you do not operate it on hillsides.

Holler if you have questions. There are lots of folks with 317s on this forum. They are great machines. Mike_U

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Welcome to WFM and the 317 club!

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Welcome to WFM 4stroke. I believe the model 33 OM is part of the 317 tractor OM. Members, correct me if I am wrong ... Gabby

·
Registered
2,673 Posts

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Welcome to WFM 4stroke. I believe the model 33 OM is part of the 317 tractor OM. Members, correct me if I am wrong ... Gabby
Found my 317 OM and does not include the 33 tiller. May have seen it in the 317 service manual. I will have to look for that manual.

·
Premium Member
9,686 Posts
Welcome!! Sent you some information via the Conversation feature of this forum. Where in Oregon are you located? We used to live in Beaverton, and had a small herd of Deere machines when on that small acreage. It included this 317 which had the Onan engine:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Green

It was a mess when I got it, but it came with a good tiller...
Wheel Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Enjoy your 317 -- always keep the oil level topped up on the Series I Kohler and you should be OK, even on gentle hills. Good luck on getting a front blade locally - just be patient (try the classifieds section of this website by posting a wanted ad...)

Chuck

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I don’t know if you ever make it as far south as Sacramento, CA during your travels but if you are traveling through the area let me know I have a couple of front 4way 54” blades I would be happy to sell you one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome!! Sent you some information via the Conversation feature of this forum. Where in Oregon are you located? We used to live in Beaverton, and had a small herd of Deere machines when on that small acreage. It included this 317 which had the Onan engine:
View attachment 279513

It was a mess when I got it, but it came with a good tiller...
View attachment 279514
View attachment 279515

Enjoy your 317 -- always keep the oil level topped up on the Series I Kohler and you should be OK, even on gentle hills. Good luck on getting a front blade locally - just be patient (try the classifieds section of this website by posting a wanted ad...)

Chuck
I am going to check but I believe my engine is original. I have learned about the oiling problem and definitely will keep the oil level up. That is my plan to watch the local classifieds. I'm sure one will turn up You had a nice machine as well. You did a nice job cleaning it up. I live in Coos Bay on the coast. I will be keeping this machine inside to preserve it, rust can be an issue and I hope to keep this 317 in the family for a long time. I will check out the chat feature on here to find what you sent me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don’t know if you ever make it as far south as Sacramento, CA during your travels but if you are traveling through the area let me know I have a couple of front 4way 54” blades I would be happy to sell you one.
I do make it down your way every once and a great while. I go to camp 49er for a military vehicle club event. I haven't gone in 2 yrs but I do plan to go again in the future.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Welcome to the forum 4stroke. I bought my 'new' 317 last fall with a 54" blade. After some TLC and fresh gas, I realized I had a beast of a good tractor. Plowed A LOT of snow last winter and it never let me down. Do pay attention to the engine on the 317. If you have the series one stay after the oil level and you'll be ok.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Welcome to the forum 4stroke. I bought my 'new' 317 last fall with a 54" blade. After some TLC and fresh gas, I realized I had a beast of a good tractor. Plowed A LOT of snow last winter and it never let me down. Do pay attention to the engine on the 317. If you have the series one stay after the oil level and you'll be ok.
I’ll second that and add to keep the tractor on level ground. Series one KT17 has a splash lubrication internal design and if the engine leans to any side it can cause the oil level to lean away from the crank and reduce the splashing effect which can lead to the engine throwing a rod and possibly punching a hole through the engine block. Great tractor though and worthy of a repower once you have a collection of implements (y)

·
Registered
482 Posts
If you decide to mess with a m18 magnum Kohler to put in look for the governor service bulletin. It requires a hole drilled and a roll pin driven in the end of the governor shaft, or the governor gear comes apart and the crumbs break the teeth of the camshaft, a perfect example of this was my brother’s ford lgt 18h a new cam, and governor gear and it was back in business. You can see the roll pin in the circle.
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design

1 - 16 of 16 Posts