Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just brought home a 317 for just hauling it away. Sorry I don't have pictures yet. I know, I'm from the last century. But I'm working on it. Serial number is C317J 126096M. After I got it home and started to look it over, it appears to have an Onan B43G engine in it, and looks original. Previous owner couldn't tell me much about it. Yes, I know I should search the archives to find the answer, but it's late and I need to do other things. It does have bar tires, and a newer 48 inch mulching deck. I don't get a lot of time do this, so please forgive me if I don't respond quickly. Thanks guys foe your input. Jim.

· Registered
6,511 Posts
Sorry, what's your question? Are you asking if a B43G was stock in the 317's? If so, I believe not...think they came with Series 1 Kohler twin cylinder, later upgraded to Series 2 Kohler twin with pressurized oiling internally.

· Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Yes, the 317 did get an Onan upgrade from dealers as a warranty replacement for failed series I Kohlers. I had one of these for a while in my herd. The Onan used by the dealerships was a P218 but had the older Bendix style starter from the B-series Onan engines to avoid having to cut out the 317 frame to clear the solenoid-shift starter of the later Onan engines as used on the 318, etc. The parts catalog for the 317 has a section that covers the Onan conversion -- I will attach that document below.

Here is a picture of my 317 with upgraded tires and wheels, and a before picture of how much pavement sealer it was wearing when I got it cheap...but not free as you did Pace_Car !!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Chuck

Attachments

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Chuck and Templeton for your replies. Sorry for the confusion Tmac. I have a 317 with a Brantley power steering addition, and a series 2 engine set up with a TracVac system and a thatcher. Works pretty good. I was trying to figure out how it ended up with an Onan. I know they had problems with the early ones without the oil pump. Chuck and Templeton confirmed what I thought it might be. I guess I'm going to have to keep it now. This makes an even 10. Thanks for the PDF Chuck. Jim.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chuck, just had a chance to look at the PDF file. I'm pretty sure that this is what I have. Now I just have to figure out why it was parked in the weeds before I got it. I really needed another project to go with all the rest of them. So many tractors, so little time. Thanks again. Jim.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Chuck. Current fleet is 210 with cab and snow thrower with electric wiper. 212 With belly blade and Pincor generator. 214 with sleeve hitch. 216 with front blade with remote angle and a rear tiller with 1 extension. 265 with mower deck. [not on it] 317 with TracVac and thatcher. New to me 317 with Onan engine. 318 with jcart bagging system. 332 with a 44 loader, rear weight box and rear weights, fluid filled tires. 430 with deck, chains, weights and snow thrower. Plus a few trinkets.

· Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Nice herd Jim !! (y) The deck I had with the Onan-powered 317 that was in my herd for a time was the little 39, but it and the tiller were in fine shape. Seems the PO only used the tractor for spreading parking lot paving sealer as a small business venture. It sure got on everything...

Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

...Larger front wheels/tires versus original... You can clearly see the Onan engine with the grill out as it is here in this photo.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Chuck

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Templeton. Already had a 400. Yes it was awesome. Loved the tractor, but hated the engine. It's a long story. Sold it with a fairly new John Deere short block (334 hours) with a broken connecting rod. No warranty. I was done. The 430 was it's replacement and I have no regrets. Chuck, I forgot to list the carts. TracVac cart painted to resemble an 8HD cart. 80 cart. 50 cart. 5 cart. All have JD hub caps as well as 8 of the 10 tractors. Jim.

· Registered
55 Posts
Yes, the 317 did get an Onan upgrade from dealers as a warranty replacement for failed series I Kohlers. I had one of these for a while in my herd. The Onan used by the dealerships was a P218 but had the older Bendix style starter from the B-series Onan engines to avoid having to cut out the 317 frame to clear the solenoid-shift starter of the later Onan engines as used on the 318, etc. The parts catalog for the 317 has a section that covers the Onan conversion -- I will attach that document below.

Here is a picture of my 317 with upgraded tires and wheels, and a before picture of how much pavement sealer it was wearing when I got it cheap...but not free as you did Pace_Car !!
View attachment 284235

View attachment 284236

Chuck
That looks amazing. I can't believe how good it looks after all that sealer on it! Must have been hard work!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts