Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found a 400. Haven't looked up the year yet. Runs but has carb issues. Here's the problem... when I looked at the tractor I didn't notice the gauge on the dash was an oil pressure gauge, I guess I just figured it to be an amp meter. So I but the tractor and haul it to the shop, looking at the glory of a big 400 and wondering how I'm going to explain it to my woman, when I noticed. The tractor is sitting there running and showing 0psi. So, is this supposed to be an oil pressure gauge? Maybe not and it's not hooked up? Where should I start?

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Kevin,
Congratulations on your JD 400 acquisition. An oil pressure gauge was not a factory item on the 400 and would have been added by a previous owner. If it is a mechanical gauge, the thin copper or nylon oil line typically is attached to an oil channel on top on the block, most often in the front (PTO end) under the carb intake manifold. If you have an electric gauge, the wire is more likely attached to a sending unit on the front left side of the block (where there is more space for the sender) behind the engine tin. An electric gauge also needs 12 V input. If the gauge is really hooked up, I would not run the tractor until either confirming that the gauge is bad or that there is indeed oil pressure. If possible, ask the previous owner, or post some pictures here.
Harold

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a couple of pictures of the tractor. I was in a hurry and really late for a dinner with the wife last night so I didn't open the hood to inspect the oil pressure gauge. I looked at it this morning and it is not hooked up (big load off my shoulders). After work today I will be going into the carburetor. It starts and runs fine for about a minute then it progressively starts to run richer until it dies out. I'm assuming the float has sank or the electric pump is over powering the float. We will see.

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So after work I pulled the air cleaner off and turned the key to the on position. The carb filled with gas, so off came the carb. Pulled the float bowl, wow, I can't believe this tractor even started. Pulled the jets out and the float and have everything soaking in the parts washer. Hopefully tomorrow the carb looks better than it did today because when I pulled the bowl the first thing I did was call norman for a price on a new carb. Of course my phone had died at that point but I'll post pictures tomorrow

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Kevin, Not sure what solvent is in you parts washer, but these solvents are typically designed to remove oil & grease and not gasoline deposits. Get a can of carb cleaner from an auto parts store. They come with a basket inside to put parts in, then soak for a day or 2. Rinse with parts cleaner, blow off with air and reasm. The solvents in these cleaners are designed to remove gasoline deposits. Bob

·
Registered
744 Posts
I would immediately put a fuel filter just ahead of the carburetor to collect the inevitable crud still headed downstream. I have a filter between the tank and the pump and another between the pump and the carb. And new fuel line because the 40 year old line may not handle ethanol blended gas. Overkill, I know.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The parts washer is filled with mineral spirits. I have a few cans of carb cleaner here il finish it up with. I like to soak in the parts washer to get the crud off the outside as well as breakup what's inside before going to the spray cans and blowgun.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Welcome to the 400 club! Keep us updated.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Merc. I am excited for the 60 once deck. Will sure cut the mowing time down. It's been busy at work the last couple of days so it's been sitting. I have a carb kit for a k341? Whatever the 14hp is. The bowl gaskets seems to be the same so I'm hoping the needle and seat is the same as well. Just need to get it back together

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Kevin,
Yes, the K341 or K321 use the same carb kit as the K532.
Harold

Reactions: Merc1973

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New carb Is in. Waiting for the air cleaner gasket to ship from deere parts. I'm thinking this would make a really nice little loader tractor for the farm. What model loader will work for the 400?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts