Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the neighbors 1991 430 yesterday!
I need some help. Day 1 cost me 100 dollars.
day 2 is looking worse a muffler no longer [email protected] $380.00.
No manual=Epay
How do I get to my hydro to change the filter/oil and adjust it,(hard to shift/stop.
Pics will follow. P.S. 655 Hrs.}

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't have a 430, but I do know most of the filters are on the rear axle under your right but cheek. I haven't seen one with a drain plug yet, you have to pull the suction hose out the front of the axle.

What did you have to buy the first day for $100?

Can we ask what it cost? I always like to know so I am not basing my purchasing off ePay.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Steve, glad for your purchase. I have an 84 with almost 1800 hrs. To get to the hydro filter, drop the belly pan(plastic) filter is in front of transaxle, standard filter wrench, Mine has a drain plug in bottom of housing. Have you checked with Keeping it Green on this site, they might have a muffler. I have had problems with mine, mostly the mounting bracket, vibrations to the header pipe to muffler, have always welded back in place and continue to use. I have a 430 service manual, and will be glad to send you copies of things you run into. You might want to take the fender pan off, bolts on side in front and at seat, take safety connection loose, Take high/low range knob off, lift pan off, see the turnbuckle on the right side, if there is play, or slop, fittings might be worn, or just tighten, this is also where the creep can be adjusted out, best way I have found is to put rear on jack stands, run tractor and adjust turnbuckle,(for safety sake, I will inject, don't run tractor and attempt to adjust turnbuckle, because of proximity to drive shaft). I am by no means an expert on the tractor, but some here can and will assist you.
Ron

·
Banned
27 Posts
Steve,

I have been looking for a used 430 muffler for some time and have not been able to find one. The one on my 430 is missing completely. Has anyone used another type of muffler for the 430. I do not want to cut holes in the hood or the sidepanels.

Thanks,

Craig Welly

·
Registered
118 Posts
In reference to the muffler - I just checked the JD parts website and it comes up with p/n AM108237 and a price ($170.00). Depending upon what your serial number is, you may need some additional parts.

Usually, if the price is posted, the part can be ordered.

DWD

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've got a really badly damaged hood. Previously repaired, poorly. Now broken by me, and again by my grandson. I think I can piece it back together but not to the original strength, which wasn't much anyway! I've always been a fan of fiberglass parts. Fairly strong, easy to repair. Much superior to molded plastic.

Now for the question: If my hood can be returned to its' original shape I think I could make a form on it of fiberglass. Then remove that and use it as a mold to make a replacement hood. The biggest issue I forsee is accurately placing the attachment reinforcements and mount holes.

Anyone have any ideas/comments? Bad idea or no??

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Ken -

You could make a fortune if you went into production with that idea . I'm surprised someone hasn't offered an aftermarket replacement hood for us yet . I bet they could be mass manufactured and sold for less than half the retail price J-D asks . The good thing about the material used in these year tractors is that it is a hard plastic formula that will allow things to stick to it , if prepared properly . J-B weld , Fiber-glass and resin , even Crazy Glue , should stick to it . X-Series and others now use a poly-ethylene formula that requires some sort of hot-fusion welding of the materials together for a bond .

I say go for it . You might have a money maker , if someone else doesn't beat you to it . If you are experienced even a little with making molds , I think it very doable .

Good luck

Dave

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Many people on this site have thought about and run threads on this. When it comes down to doing it they seem to decide not to because it wasn't cost effective. One fellow was going to reproduce 110 RF and SF hoods because he had a buddy who could do it for him. He disappeared after he found out what the cost would be. Roger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.