Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, we work on 425's a lot but never have I seen this problem. This new to us 1993 or 94 425 AWS clunks when we turn hard to the right, but not to the left or straight ahead. It doesn't look like the u-joint is bad but I haven't ruled it out yet. Any experience like this or ideas? Thanks, Fred

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Fred,

Try the following: Place a chalk mark where the right rear tire meets the ground and drive in a tight right circle -- if the clunk is periodic and an integer number of events for one revolution of the tire, it probably is the u-joint on the axle on that side. If not, put a mark on the left tire and see if it is periodic to that wheel's turning. If the clunking is not synchronous to either wheel's rotation, then it likely is somewhere else in the drive train...

Chuck

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a friend that has a X304 and after mowing for about half hour it acts like possibly one cylinder cuts out, it loses power and smells like it is running rich and will sometimes do it for about 10 min and then it will be ok for awhile. then sometimes it will do it for a longer time and there is nothing he can do to make it run right ????

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Arnie,

I seem to recall that the control board on very early X300/X304 tractors had an ignition control issue and were recalled/replaced by a later version... There was a thread here but it was lost to one of the site crashes we had a year or more ago. Try asking a dealer to search the service bulletins.

Chuck

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well just to update anyone interested, we finally got around to repairing that 425 AWS transmission. We had a clunk when we turned hard right, u-joints looked good so we pulled it all out. We found the clunk all right. The inner bearing on the RH axle went out and someone kept on going that way for awhile, trashed the transmission housing. So we found a donor tranny out of a 425 2WS and swapped our AWS axles over to the 2WS tranny. (quite a job) Works fine now. I did learn a lesson though. MAKE D--- SURE THAT YOU DRIVE THAT TRACTOR BEFORE YOU HAND OVER THE MONEY! I took this guy at his word and drove it directly on our truck. He needless to say won't help me out on this, nor will I ever buy from him again. He ain't a WFM member thankfully.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
WOW Fred,

Sorry to hear that the PO was deliberately deceptive about the tractor's condition. I try to deal with WFM members when I can -- but used Deere tractors are where you find them so a very close scrutiny is always a good idea when buying from a stranger...

Chuck

·
Registered
280 Posts
Arnie--
May be a dumb suggestion, but I had an intermittent problem with a tractor once, where it would run fine and then run on one cylinder. I suspected the coil, checked the cylinders with a spark tester, swapped the two coils (which were identical) and lo and behold, the other cylinder had the intermittent miss. About $60 for one new coil did the trick.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Arnie Amrheim--
Had same problem with a tractor once. I checked with spark tester. Right cyl had problem. Swapped coils which were identical and lo and behold the left side now had the problem. One new coil for $60 solved it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Chuck, I have a 425 aws and noticed a clunking sound going fwd and reverse, I'm thinking I may have a similar problem. Did you see any metal in your fluid at all? or were there any other signs that could shed some light on the subject without taring it down to check it out?

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Dave,

Welcome to the WFM forum where we try to answer all your questions. Fred had the 425 with the clunk due to internal issues...so maybe he can answer your question directly.

My two AWS tractors are the x304 and the diesel x495 and neither of them has had any issues with the steering on the rear axle, u-joints or other drive issues to date...

Chuck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.