Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already posted a few times but thought I should do the polite thing and introduce myself. My name is Brent and I live in south-central Minnesota. I grew up on an acreage and the first motorized vehicle I drove myself was a John Deere 212, which my dad bought new, still has and uses regularly. As a kid I also spent a lot of time on my grandparents' farm, where I got to "drive" a JD 4410 when Grandpa was doing work in the field, and they had an Oliver and a Farmall as well, though I couldn't tell you the models. My grandparents are gone, but my cousin now lives on the family farm and farms it with my uncle using the same tractors (and more). As for me, until recently I've been stuck living in town for various reasons, but I always wanted to get a few acres around me.

A few years ago I jumped on a great deal on a JD 214 with a mower deck, and I added a snowblower to the package a couple weeks later. It was overkill for our half-acre lot in town, but it made quick work of the yard in the summer and the sidewalk/driveway in the winter. Last summer we moved to our new home on 18 acres on the Minnesota River, a move that suddenly made the 214 look puny. A few days ago I got an absolutely killer deal on a JD 318 with a 50" mower, a snowblower, and a Kwik-Way front end loader. I've been having issues with the mower eating belts on the 318, which I believe I've narrowed down to a missing bushing on a mule drive pulley. I'm probably going to end up selling the 214 since the 318 wasn't in the budget, but I would have been stupid to pass up the opportunity and so for now at least I've got two Deeres. I'll add pictures at some point. :)

Cheers,
Brent

·
Super Moderator
4,068 Posts
:welcome:
You will enjoy the 318. Mine are real workhouses.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
:welcome: Brent,

Great story

·
Registered
1,507 Posts

story sounds familiar!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'd be interested to know what the Kwik-Way loader might be worth. Is there a forum where it would be appropriate to ask? It's in amazing condition - looks like it may have been used for only a few jobs. Everything is there, including the manual. While it would be useful around here, I need the 318 for the mower and snowblower and can't see myself taking either off to install the front-end loader as needed, nor do I anticipate having the funds to buy a dedicated tractor to be able to use it anytime soon. Depending on what I could get for it, I might be convinced to let it go and recoup some of my investment.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts