Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Andrew,
1st thanks to all. I've been reading this forum for many months now and have really learned a bunch about my 1st 1967 JD 112.
My problem: This is my very 1st lawn tractor. Its a JD 1967 112. However the engine is a tecumseh HH120 that im suspecting came out of a sears suburban rig.
The tractor is wired as a 1967 112 but I have a solid state ignition with no stator, just the coil under the fly wheel and silver triangle ignition unit above it.
I've re-wired everything, the new ignition switch is a 3 pronged B, S, and I. On the ignition side of things the coil has 2 black wires from behind the flywheel 1 to the triangle unit the other I do not know where it goes?? I do know if i attach it to the sheet metal i get no spark, I can also kill the engine by touching it to the sheetmetal. If I leave it un attached the tractor runs like a champ; and fires right up. FINNALLY THE PROBLEM I cannot turn off the tractor using the key. Attached is a photo of a similar engine the way mine is set up. Refer to the picture red spots. If I wire it like this, no spark. If I remove the wire on the left attached to the tin metal; she roars right up. Im thinking maybe I have the wrong ignition switch? The 2nd black wire need to attached to?? I really don't want to blow up the ignition unit doing trial and error... Thx!!
Motor vehicle Gas Automotive tire Machine Auto part

· Registered
3,431 Posts
I took that picture, someone had put that engine in a Case 130. I'm not sure if that needs a 12v power source or a kill wire. It had a starter generator. From reading posted comments the early Jd 140 with an electronic ignition would burn up if the wrong ignition switch was used. Needed a ground to kill the engine.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ed, thanks. your discussion pointed me in the right direction, so did the pics. However its that 2nd wire (the one depicted in the picture at 8 o'clock) that if I keep it connected it grounds out the ignition. only when I remove it everything is fine, except I cannot kill the engine unless I touch the wire back to metal.
Its almost that wire needs to be switched or attached differently.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts