Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not new to deere or tractors, ive had a 316, 317, and 318...but i got this yesterday.

91 model with 875hrs, p22 onan, 60c deck.

Seller didnt divulge a few things, the engine over revs hot so i have a metal governor plate coming, and gaskets. The wiring is intact but the key switch is gone and a push/pull power switch and push button switch are on it...new switch is coming. Ill adjust the valves while its on the bench.

But it starts okay, runs just alright.

My big hangup is the rear mounted dampener for the hydro linkage...mother Deere is quite proud of them to the tune of about 170 bucks...is there another option?
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Tire Plant Wheel Sky Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
Red,

Welcome to the forum!!

Have not found a good second source to the Deere REV4 dampener...but if you need one it will make a great deal of improvement to any jerky transitions in speed and direction. Be sure to get the improved version with the larger piston and reservoir...
Office equipment Audio equipment Revolver Gas Machine

Also check for worn parts in the linkage as any minor wear is quite evident in performance.

Chuck

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Red,

Welcome to the forum!!

Have not found a good second source to the Deere REV4 dampener...but if you need one it will make a great deal of improvement to any jerky transitions in speed and direction. Be sure to get the improved version with the larger piston and reservoir...
View attachment 275753

Also check for worn parts in the linkage as any minor wear is quite evident in performance.

Chuck
Its a surprisingly tight system, just gently pushing the brakes firmly plants it in Neutral with 0 hydro creep. My dads new 90 318 didnt work that well with 0 hours on it. But the damper is shot...no resistance at all, trying to take off smooth in High Range is laughable

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I’d rather pay 170 for the 4 than the 130+ I paid for the 3. It works but it’s soooo small, it’s only a matter of time before I’ll be looking to make my mounts and convert to a 4. But yes deere is very “proud” of some of thier parts!😆 Nice 420, I’m sure you’ll get it up to your standards in no time 👍🏻

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’d rather pay 170 for the 4 than the 130+ I paid for the 3. It works but it’s soooo small, it’s only a matter of time before I’ll be looking to make my mounts and convert to a 4. But yes deere is very “proud” of some of thier parts!😆 Nice 420, I’m sure you’ll get it up to your standards in no time 👍🏻
Some stuff i just get so frustrated with their pricing, like its just high for the heck of it. My gearbox and spindles are fine, deck is scrap metal though...but deere gets $$ for spindles, about $500ea

·
Registered
1989 318
2,489 Posts
Spindles can be rebuilt by replacing bearings.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Welcome to WFM Red.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the old damper off...surprisingly easy, in the dark with a cell for light, 13/16 and a 3/8.

My damper is in 2pieces, the cylinder and cap...i have a plan, im going to try something..i can always order the right part but...innovation never happens if you don't try.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Addressed the wiring, it had a push button start and push/pull power kill. I found the plug intact, they plugged into it to wire in their switches. I picked up a new oem style switch, removed the 2 other switches, plugged in the new one...and it all works properly now.

Then i pulled the headlight switch and the whole knob/post yanked out...lovely.

I looked at the ring gear, looks mint, starter looks newer but sounds kinda rough. Ill be able to give it a good look when the engine is out.

Also addressed the tune, it was idling real low, rough, went in 2 full turns on the idle and at least 1.5 on the mixture, its running much smoother now.

·
Registered
1989 318
2,489 Posts
Nice work! It is always exciting getting a new machine and seeing what does/does not work, it is an adventure!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I rigged a damper from hydraulic stays for hoods / truck caps...it lasted for a season. I finally broke down and spent the cash on a Rev 4 from greenpartsstore and it made it through last winter and summer with zero issue.

But, not cheap.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I rigged a damper from hydraulic stays for hoods / truck caps...it lasted for a season. I finally broke down and spent the cash on a Rev 4 from greenpartsstore and it made it through last winter and summer with zero issue.

But, not cheap.
Ill probably end up with one..but 180+ shipped is ridiculous even for Ma Deere

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
Bottom line is -- the right part is the correct part. The Deere unit is pretty spendy, indeed...

The illustration below shows another vendor that MIGHT have a suitable substitute, but you would clearly need to adapt the end fittings, etc.

Product Rectangle Font Slope Parallel

There are a wide variety of choices on their website:
Chuck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ill probably end up with one..but 180+ shipped is ridiculous even for Ma Deere
It is. I parsed through multiple catalogs and if I remember correctly I did find a very similar damper but the ends were not correct for mounting.

I paid like 15 bucks the Dorman or whatever one I cut/welded that didn't last. The correct looking one was going to be 100 bucks anyhow...

So, if you look a similar one is out there....it's been a year so idk where I found the one I saw.

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
I put a new dampener on the 400 I restored back in 2007. Was reasonably priced. Definitely not the case now though. The one that was on it was working fine so I have a spare for the other two. The oil cooler I bought was 400 bucks back then. Last I looked they were over a $1000 now. I put about 2 grand into that 400 but that was nowhere near what an equivalent new JD at the time would have cost. Not even close.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts