Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone attempted to re-create the ID decals for JD equipment? I have ordered a ID decal for my 332 and after 5 months, still nothing. I had the paperwork authorized by a notary...returned to the dealer..and the wait is on. Tractors are one thing, what about say a mower deck?

If we know what the # is, can't a sign shop make up a decal for a deck?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Dano
Maybe a sign shop is your best bet.Mine was missing off of my 455 when I got it.JD helped me get the serial number based on the engine serial number but would not give me a new decal.I was happy just to have serial number so I did not question it.

AJ

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
You talking about something like that?

Those are pictures of my file made with Corel Draw, the software used by my sign maker for printing and cutting on vinyl.

I made everything for the tractor, mower and snow blower.
My sign maker approved everything last week but I forgot to bring a sample for the JD yellow.
I will return next week with a sample unless anybody know about the Pantome color code who match with the JD yellow. This is the color code they used as reference.
By the way, around $40.00CDN($33.50US) for all that.
Andre

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Andre
If you are selling I am buying.I need one for my 455.I'm sure you can't reproduce the bar code that goes with it but I would take one like the 318 pictured above but for my 455.Thanks.

AJ

·
Banned
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, lookie what I started here...
Yes, Andre-
I need a NEW decal for my 50" deck I'm restoring for the 332. I have the serial number.
I have gone through the gamut with the dealer and Deere on my new replacement, notarized, blessed, sent for...ID (Tractor ID) decal. -still waiting 3 months now.

How can we get some new decals,
-do tell!

dan

(Message edited by dan0 on September 11, 2005)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
lloyd,
To reproduce a decal, It's quite easy but take a lot of time for those with drawing.

1- I need a good picture of the old decal. I took most of them on my tractor with my digital camera. I also found some others for sale on ebay. Then I need the dimentions.
2- I import the picture in Corel Draw then I set some guidelines with the proper dimentions and I stretch and rotate to fit the guidelines. If you look carefully it's never perfect. Most of the pictures are not straight. The worst ones were the one on the snow blower chute and the long one on the hood.
3- For the text it's very simple and fast. I type the text, change the font and size until the best match.
4- Sometime I have no font to match the text. For example I had nothing to match the "318". I had to choose the closest font, then change the text for curves. The text become a drawing so it's possible to change it.
5- For the drawing, I simply reproduce a new drawing over the other one. For the big one on the fender desk, I spent at least 10 hours. For the long one on the hood I had to find the mathematical increment for the black and yellow rectangles. Also because the camera change the aspect of the picture. I had to separate the new picture in three parts to fit in my printer, print it on paper and try it on the tractor. I had to move the position of the rectangles, move the text and stretch it. I had to do that three time until a near perfect match.
Sorry for the delay, I'm very buzzy on my mower desk restoration.
Andre

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I didn't took any decision yet about sharing the file or selling it or selling decal.
I don't know if it's legal to reproduce those decal for selling.
I will discuss about all that with my sign maker.
They reproduce tons of decal for sports cars with no problem.
For the decal with the serial number, it's probably illegal to reproduce them for selling.
If someone know the law on this issue I would like to have some feedback.
Andre

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
AJ,
I was curious about this bar code issue since I never saw that before. I looked on ebay for the 455, because sometime sellers shown the serial number on their pictures. I found one but very damaged.
I found a font on the net, who reproduce bar code just by typing the text and number.

I imported this picture in Corel Draw. Then I draw a white rectangle below the bar code and I typed *M00455... with this font.
Yes I can reproduce it, but i will need a good picture and the dimention of the original!
Andre

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Andre
I don't have a picture or dimension as mine is missing.I can probably get someone else here who has a 455 to send pics and demension.I just emailed Bob Owen on a different matter this morning.I will ask him if he minds.Thanks,Andre.

AJ

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just picked up my first 455, all my green experience has been with 318-332's. That said, I noticed upon moving the tractor into its new home that the steering on the 455 feels very heavy and sluggish. Its to the point that I wonder if I will be able to mow with it. Is this a common comparison experience between the 300 series vs. the 4x5 series or is there a problem I need to address. It feels like i have a loader with a full bucket(lots of weight) out front that you are trying to steer thru, but there is nothing out front (yet).

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
If the engine was running it should steer with one finger even with a loader and full bucket on it. If the engine was off then that is normal. Engine running and hard steering the first thing I would check it the hydros fluid level. If that is up to the right mark then it is probably going to get expensive. Roger

·
Registered
254 Posts
Brian

I have had this experience with one of my 455's
and my problem was in the rearend. when the hydro calls for more pressure it takes it away from the steering. When I took mine apart the hydro was really wore and oil going by in a few places. The parts I needed were going to be over $2000 so I found a low houred 425 and took the rearend out and parted out the rest

·
Registered
76 Posts
Great. I just added about 1.5 qts and it wasnt that low and it didnt help! Not what I was hopng for. It has some power assist but only maybe half what it should. When I test drove I was rolling and didnt notice or subconsciously thought it was normal being a heavier machine over the 300 series. Driving the 322 made me realize again how easy it is. the machine has a believable 700 hrs based on conditions.

Any other easy/ cheap things to try? It was a fair price so I will likely do a donor rear if necessary.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Brian

When using the tractor the hydro takes first preference of the oil supply so the steering may get lower oil pressure if something is going on in the rearend. My 455 I could mow with about 20 minutes then the steering would get real hard,
first I thought the steering cylinder was leaking on the inside bypassing oil so I did the steering cylinder test and it was fine. Then I put a pressure gauge on the charge pump and it was way short, took the hydro apart and seen the problem

·
Registered
76 Posts
I need a little more clarification on this and some technical advice if you please. I will need to know where to check pressures, etc. Also like I said, the tractor can be sitting perfectly still not using any hydraulics other than steering ram?

I need this machine up and running for snow, so i am going to attack it asap. Any and all troubleshooting info is greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.