Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Friday contractor started my new storage building. Design changed because I had to work around some Homestead Preservation rules.

• Building size is 27' x 48' and approx 17' tall.
  • Building is taller than initially planned but it may later be converted to residential two story.
  • Currently storage building will have a one stall garage (entrance will be where trailer is parked)
  • There is a spring that runs parallel about 8 ft from rear of building with culvert crossing into the second 4 acre lot I bought.
  • Man cave is on the opposite side of spring.
  • This was an old farmstead with log cabin and building. Chicken house and corn crib still standing. Corn crib is going. Chicken house?
  • Camper in last photo sitting where shed is being built. Will be stored in building and will be used as temporary housing.
Gabby

Attachments

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Nice piece of property. Keep us posted on progress. Good start and nice size.

Reactions: crazyhorse

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This building will go up fast as soon as all materials are available. Cement floor this year is probably not going to happen. I would like the garage floor cemented. We will see if this is possible. I will post photos as work progresses.

·
Super Moderator
3,401 Posts
Contractor? What's one of them?:lol: Oh, you want it done faster. We are just at about 14 months.

Looks like a nice property.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
14 months is fast. I've been waiting 2 yrs.

No work yesterday. Today we got the posts notched for the trusses, kick board around the base installed, and pieces cut for girts for the side walls. Tomorrow intent is to get last two posts set for interior wall, trusses installed, and begin installing purlins for roof.

We had 3 inches of snow overnight and is melting fast. Extremely muddy working off the building pad. Hopefully tomorrow there will be enough progress to take some more photos.

Forgot one thing ... the walnut tree on back side of building is now laying on the ground. I may do some cleanup of that tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Those are some great pictures, Gabby. I'm sure you're going to be real happy with the finished structure!

Mitch

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks Mitch.

As being built it will be used to park camper in and with patio in front. Patio will be in the building with translucent fiberglass wall (window). That would leave me approx 14'x34' storage behind camper for whatever fits. Hopefully 20ft and 8 ft trailers plus skidsteer and compact excavator in this area. Garage will be 14'x27' and hopefully be cements and heated for winter to be my garden tractor workshop. This area will also have a loft for storage.

I think I said in opening that this building may be converted at later date to a two story residential building. Interior height is set to include two 8' tall levels and 1 foot for floor joists, subfloor, and flooring.

Getting anxious talking about it. I want it done!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
That's a real nice place you have there Gabby, you're addition just make's it better. I'd be happy with the man cave. :good:

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The hillside the root cellar is in has a lot of springs. This is the first year I had the root cellar flood with spring water that came out of the hillside. It only happens during extremely wet conditions. I also had two other springs open up in the area I mow. Those areas I plan to run tile and dump the water into the spring. I also plan to tile the eave spouts on the new building to drain into the spring.

Today most of the "ladder" framework for the sidewalls was completed. This framework is spaced every two feet between the posts. The metal siding is attached to this frame. Ladder framework eliminates the need for girts and narrows the wall by 1 1/2 inches.

No photos again today. Will get photos next time I am down working on it.

We are getting snow (1" - 3" predicted) again so contractor not sure they will be working tomorrow. There is more sidewall framework but contractor wants to get started installing the trusses.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Nice size shed and nice looking piece of property Gabby.

2 years? 14 months? That seems rediculous to me. Our 36'x60' shed was put up in a week, including cement work. Maybe only a couple months for the whole project from idea to setting foot inside a finished building.

Regardless whether you are sure of converting it to residnetial or leaving it as a shed (think about how many garden tractors you could stack that high with some pallet racks), I would highly suggest insulating it. Having condensation wrap helps, but full insulation can at least keep it comfortable with a heater when it is below zero here.

Ryan

·
Registered
336 Posts
Funny, shed! it's double the size of my 2 car garage. I just started putting a lean too on the back side of mine to keep my track rat out of the snow and I plan to keep the 316 under it as well.

Nice piece of property you have there, I would love to move to a quieter town but have grown accustomed to the municipal conveniences.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This shed is 3' wider than my garage in town so let's call it same size. The building is not intended to be a workshop long term. I will be planning another building that will be for storage and work area. Intent of this building is temporary storage of camper, skidsteer, and excavator. I will be moving old lumber out of the chicken house and for the time being it will house garden tractors and attachments. It will be workshop for projects needing completion at my rural property,

Ryan, time frame you mention is construction time. I suspect mine to be finished except for concrete in about 3 weeks. I will have electrician bring service into building and I will install lights and outlets. It takes time to get permits, etc and get a contractor on site. That is what takes time. Hope school is going well for you. Happy Thanksgiving and stay warm.

Heading for property this afternoon and get some photos of progress. Will probably be messy from snowfall and tree down.

Gabby

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Am I forgiven? Forgot to take my camera with me today.

Trusses and purlins are installed. Knee braces and other braces to strengthen corners and side walls are all that is left before tin is installed. Weather permitting contractor is planning to begin installing roof metal Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning.

Weather permitting I will be working at the property this weekend cleaning up the tree that was downed. I will get some photos at that time.

Gabby

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Gabby,
As I looked at the pictures and your description, I would throw out this one point. Before you put the metal sheets on the roof, put at least 1" foam insulation sheets on over the trusses first. It will do 2 things for you besides the insulation value. It will make it quieter in the rain and most of all, it will stop the condensation and "indoor rain" that you will get off of the metal skin. It was the best thing that I did in my pole barn, particularly after going in other pole barns that didn't have it.
Mitch

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
You know I did not think of that Mitch. Thanks for the tip. I will suggest that to Dean (contractor).

Would spray on foam insulation do the same thing?

Did you leave a gap at the peak for ridge cap ventilation?

... Gabby

·
Registered
862 Posts
Mitch mentions the same thing I talked about in my previous reply. The condensation wrap is an insulator but as Mitch adds greatly helps noise reduction during rain. It is a night and day difference when comparing buildings during a rain storm. A gap is left at the peak for ventilation.

Spray foam insulation should do the same thing, but I cannot speak from personal experience.

Ryan

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Discussed with contractor this morning. I will be using spray on foam.

Putting up knee braces this morning. Tomorrow weather permitting roof metal will be installed.

Lower left of first photo you can see little bit of walnut tree I need to clean up yet and Todd (neighbor) has a stump grinder to get rid of stump. Hope we have enough warm days so I can get landscape and grass sown on garage end of building. Can't be done until sidewall steel is up.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Building will have three 36" service doors.

• One will be an entery door beside the 12x10 garage door.
  • the other two will be passage between the garage and storage area on each side of building
Likewise there will be 3 overhead doors.
  • The 12x10 garage door with electric opener will have hi-rise track to get door out of way to use fork truck to get materials on/off the loft.
  • Two 12' wide by 14' tall doors end of building to access storage area. One will have electric opener the other will be manual.
Today I finished cleaning up the walnut tree and did some cleanup along the creek. Contractor and his son put the metal on the roof. Predicting 1-4 inches of snow tonight. Will this never end. Unsure if anything will get done tomorrow.

·
Registered
131 Posts
In a humid climate like WI why would you spray foam the lid? Wouldn't that trap moisture in your roof? I'm assuming your going to insulate your ceiling and that would reduce the sound of rain through a metal roof. I grew up in northern MN and we had a pole barn, it would sweat like crazy inside even with the eves open, and two turbine things on the roof.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts