Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1967 JD 110-Rf, 1972 JD 110-SF
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been doing a ton of research lately on tires, bars/ags, vs turf, original with tubes, original imitators ect. One thing I was looking at was fresh tires but with an original look. My mower came with goodyears on, I know they also came with bf goodrich, and firestones, and even mixed and matched brands. My fronts are pretty much shot. I could get a little life out of them with tubes but figured get new. My rears look pretty decent but want a matching brand all around. No one comes close to these old tread patterns or thickness unfortunately.

I apologize if this is old news but tonight. I came across these Carlisle Versa Turf tires. I'm kind of on the fence how I feel about them. They almost look like an atv tread type tire, but the sidewalls, tread pattern and thickness almost remind me of the Goodyears I have on. I think they look like an all around good tire for mowing, garden work, or moving snow. They got good tread but reading reviews didn't chew up the lawn. I think if someone wanted to go with the original look and size but have a new tires these matched with the Carlisle turf savers might do the trick. They're close to 200.00 a piece though so that might push people away to get a more traditional turf tire, or cheaper bar tires.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Plant Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
The SCUT/ CUT guys love those Versa Turf radials over on GTT

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it a show tractor or do you use it? Those versa turf tires will work just fine for most all applications and will look good doing it.
I just bought this mower about a 3 weeks ago, but due to an injury at work( no fault of my own or employer) I'll be spending most of my time in a recliner healing until April. So I haven't had to much time to really look at it. I'd love to actually mow with it, use it on my hobby farm to haul a water cart, and yard cart around when the atv is being used else where, and hopefully some day have it be the replacement to my sons power wheels gator. It's going to stay in it's work clothes and I want to try to keep it original as close to possible I think, but it might change up the tires, it was go to a show or two to pull my son around and run a corn sheller, but I'm not looking at having something that looks like it came off the 1967 showroom floor.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Never seen the Versa Terfs until now. They do look like ATV tires a little with out the rounded and ballooned radius. ATV tires are too soft many times in my opinion but can offer more of a comfortable ride as they are more squishy and compress and contract easier over bumps sticks etc. They do get punctured easier though which is why I said they are too soft at times.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never seen the Versa Terfs until now. They do look like ATV tires a little with out the rounded and ballooned radius. ATV tires are too soft many times in my opinion but can offer more of a comfortable ride as they are more squishy and compress and contract easier over bumps sticks etc. They do get punctured easier though which is why I said they are too soft at times.

I agree, it seems like a lot of people go with the atv type for the more comfortable ride, but idk why else if they think the tread is more aggressive or what? As mentioned I'd be afraid of how thin they area. Growing up I had a honda 300ex and the front tires looked like swiss cheese with all the plugs it from just back trail riding in the woods. I read on another forum a guy just bashing bar/ag tires that they're too thin, wear out too quickly and you get stuck too easily so he always buys atv tires........I just had to scratch my head.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Yep yep. I had a ‘85 Honda 250ES Big Red. Before that was. Yamaha TriMoto 125 and the last ATC I still own is the 350x. Purchased a 300ex for a girlfriend at that time 2000 while I stepped up from the 350x to a 2000 YZ250. Oh my very last ATV was a 2007 YZF450 special edition white/blue with red gray black flames. Ok back to the point I was going to make. Perhaps the ATV tires work ok on tractors as the ground speed is significantly reduced when compared to the speeds of the average ATV. I don’t recall all the punctures I had either but a plug kit sure comes in handy ;)

That YZF 450 was a thing of beauty yet super quick. I had to sell it to get out of debt but ended up owning my first house as a result and know I made the wise choice to sell. I would probably have just ended up getting hurt yet again for the umpteenth time on that thing. IMO Yamaha knocked it out of the park with that years special edition. It just looks fast sitting still lol.

Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep yep. I had a ‘85 Honda 250ES Big Red. Before that was. Yamaha TriMoto 125 and the last ATC I still own is the 350x. Purchased a 300ex for a girlfriend at that time 2000 while I stepped up from the 350x to a 2000 YZ250. Oh my very last ATV was a 2007 YZF450 special edition white/blue with red gray black flames. Ok back to the point I was going to make. Perhaps the ATV tires work ok on tractors as the ground speed is significantly reduced when compared to the speeds of the average ATV. I don’t recall all the punctures I had either but a plug kit sure comes in handy ;)

That YFZ 450 was a thing like of beauty yet super quick. I had to sell it to get out of debt but ended up owning my first house as a result and know I made the wise choice to sell.

View attachment 273211
I had an 04 300ex, when I bought the farm I sold that for a 94 Boyoa( biggest poj) then sold that for a 10' artic cat 700. Efi, automatic, 4x4, winch and dump box are really nice. I wish I kept the 300 for fun. I really like the looks of the Yamaha.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Cloud

Plant Sky Wheel Tire Plant community

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
The one in the pic was not mine but same exact bike color etc. yeah the 300ex is a fun bike. I was thinking of getting the 400ex when I went to the Honda Yamaha dealer. I saw the Yamaha and instantly signed on the dotted line lol. It just called out to my stupidity and my stupidity answered the call “Rollie eyes”. That 700 looks like a real Workhorse.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the versa turfs on my 420 with V61s (6 ply) up front. Pretty much a bullet proof setup. I live on the side of a hill and barely use my difflock anymore, unless they got loaded with wet mud. Bought mine from Miller. Only wish they had more sizes, Id like to run them up front.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the versa turfs on my 420 with V61s (6 ply) up front. Pretty much a bullet proof setup. I live on the side of a hill and barely use my difflock anymore, unless they got loaded with wet mud. Bought mine from Miller. Only wish they had more sizes, Id like to run them up front.
Thanks. I liked the looked of them and seemed like an all purpose tire.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts