Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me about this machine based on the serial number?

Also, how do I match up a blade (maybe a blower), chains, and weights to search the classifieds?

Just bought this bad boy. I am looking forward to to keeping it up and even adding to it over time. My first was a 80's 316. I loved doing all my own work to it. Then I bought a plastic X300 seven years ago and hated it. So glad to be back!

Tire Tractor Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Green Gas Paint Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1989 318
2,670 Posts
Nice buy!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Congrats on the 317. They are great machines. Yours looks very well maintained. It will give you many years of service if you continue to keep it serviced and cared for.
Tractordata.com lists some info. It calls for a 54” snow blade and a Model 49 snow blower

Pop the hood and find out the engine model number and let us know.
Some of the early Kohler engines in 317’s had issues if they were run on slopes or if the oil level got low. Some of those engines were replaced with an improved Kohler engine and some were replaced with an Onan engine.

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
I actually had a 317 with the Onan engine at one point in my herd...It came as a sad, mistreated tractor with lots of pavement sealer on it and I cleaned it up a bit...
Wheel Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Green

Here is a serial number to model year map from the PC1698:
Tire Wheel Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire

Your serial number makes it a 1980 model.

Below is a PDF document that lists all the attachments and the models they fit for the vintage Deere garden tractors...

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats on the 317. They are great machines. Yours looks very well maintained. It will give you many years of service if you continue to keep it serviced and cared for.
Tractordata.com lists some info. It calls for a 54” snow blade and a Model 49 snow blower

Some of the early Kohler engines in 317’s had issues if they were run on slopes or if the oil level got low. Some of those engines were replaced with an improved Kohler engine and some were replaced with an Onan engine.

Kohler
Model: KT17QS
SN: 1935215406

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
Welcome to WFM Andrew

Reactions: andrewgoingmailcom

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
Andrew,
That is a great-looking machine. The engine serial number is for a 1989 replacement series II engine with full pressure lubrication. There should also be a spec number for the series II which is most likely 24301. As Mike points out, the early KT17's ("series I") had rod design problems with premature rod failure. Kohler re-designed the series I rods and then introduced the KT19 series II engine with full pressure lubrication in 1982/1983.
Harold

Reactions: Mike_U

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Andrew,
That is a great-looking machine. The engine serial number is for a 1989 replacement series II engine with full pressure lubrication. There should also be a spec number for the series II which is most likely 24301. As Mike points out, the early KT17's ("series I") had rod design problems with premature rod failure. Kohler re-designed the series I rods and then introduced the KT19 series II engine with full pressure lubrication in 1982/1983.
Harold
Thank you very much. Great info!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Can anyone tell me about this machine based on the serial number?

Also, how do I match up a blade (maybe a blower), chains, and weights to search the classifieds?

Just bought this bad boy. I am looking forward to to keeping it up and even adding to it over time. My first was a 80's 316. I loved doing all my own work to it. Then I bought a plastic X300 seven years ago and hated it. So glad to be back!

View attachment 280686
View attachment 280685
TractorData

·
Registered
59 Posts
I actually had a 317 with the Onan engine at one point in my herd...It came as a sad, mistreated tractor with lots of pavement sealer on it and I cleaned it up a bit...
View attachment 280695
View attachment 280696

View attachment 280693

Below is a PDF document that lists all the attachments and the models they fit for the vintage Deere garden tractors...

Chuck

·
Registered
59 Posts
View attachment 280695
View attachment 280696

View attachment 280693

Chuck
Thanks for posting this attachment Chuck. It is especially useful to me in regards to rototillers. It gets confusing as to which one will bolt on to different 300 series tractors. I have a 322 with 2,700 hours. I sure hope it lasts another 2,000 since I now have a bunch of attachments for it including a loader that was adapted to it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts