Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I just purchased this prom queen from night of the living dead. No remarks are meant for or directed at the PO. He's a pretty stand up guy from what I can tell from our brief interaction during the purchase. But this tractor needs a major face lift lol. She's solid and has good bones. I think she is presently equiped with the lift rod and brackets for a tiller. That is perfect because I have one ready to plop right on for the date night with operation feed the lawn new seed. In all honesty I'm as happy as a clam in the river during high tide. Oh yeah I'm getting a bit high on a couple celebratory and relaxing beverages after all the driving related to todays festivities. Lets just say my but has not been this soar in a while, dam psyatic nerve. Any way.

Time to get down to brass tacks. She just don't want to to crank over with a fresh battery. The seat switch is good if that matters. I have yet to check the nutral safety switch. I applied the brakes so they are locked just incase that matters. I pulled the PTO safety switch so I could probe it but quickly realized I don't rember whats what and need a refresher on testing that circuit. A electrical diagram would be great right about now wink wink.

She came with a deck/mule drive and suited up in brand new turf tires and from what I can tell tiller mounting brackets. The oil was at the full mark when I checked it but very dirty so not going to call shenanagans on that just yet. I will say there is oil build up all over the place so there is that. All I want to see is for it crank over and see if she will fire up with a shot of fuel down her throat. Oh yeah she is also missing the hour meter and I'm not sure if that will play any part in the starting circuit.

Ok so what do all you residential 318 experts have to teach me. Lets get her going. I've wanted a 318 for a long time now and it is time I learn her inside and out. I don't know what year it is atm but i know she has tremendous potential.

Pics of the prom beauty queen.

Attachments

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
At least you got some new rubber underneath of it. That and batteries seem to be the food of choice for our Deeres. They’re kind of like horses in that they’re picky eaters with expensive tastes. And their owners are crazy. 😂

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes fortunately the last two tractors I purchased have had new rubber all the way around :)

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The hour meter is not essential, but the power to it is driven by the TDCM at X23, pin 2 which is in parallel with the line that drives the ignition coil. If the wire to the hour meter is shorted to ground, there may not be any power to the ignition system, and I would expect fuse may blow as well. Here is the wiring excerpt -- you can see that the hour meter is shown as a text note and not a wiring symbol.
View attachment 265526

Chuck
Putting this here thanks again Chuck.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok just looked at Tractor data.com and it looks like She is a 1989 year model.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Good catch N2! It's gonna be a beauty. You are gonna have so much fun fixing it up. Sometimes it won't seem that way but as well all know setbacks and frustrations are a necessary part of the process. I don't know 318's very well so I'll just sit back on cheer you on. Unless you need advice on what color it should be painted.

Chuck..what would we do without you? You remind me of a guy I went to high school with. He loved manuals and charts and indexes and schematics. I could kick his ass changing spark plugs though! :p

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Wow, that is some rough paint! Let's hope that the PO was a mechanical guy that didn't have time to wash/clean. I'll sit on the porch with Army and learn a few things.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Deere had issues with their powder coat in '89, maybe other years too! My '89 322 looked about the same! The PO power washed it and that took a LOT of paint off... including the model no. plate w/serial number! Bob

·
Registered
734 Posts
Is this one of the powder coated Deere? (LOL, answered while I was asking, thanks @rwmeyer ) I often see 318's, of this vintage, with huge missing patches of paint. (they remind me of dark blue fords from the '90's.)

It looks pretty solid otherwise. Should be a fun project.

Oh and the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a good choice.:D

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Yah! Gonna need some sandblasting and high build primer in places but should look good when it's done. Based on personal experience the best way to blast it is to start at the edge of the still green areas and hold the nozzle on a 45 angle so the sand gets under the powder coating as you go along. Powder coating can put up a pretty good fight sometimes if you go straight at it, especially if you're using a compressor where the PSI drops off fairly quickly. It will still do the job but it takes more sand and compressor time. A sustained bombardment can also heat metal up and warp it. Not usually a significant issue with JD fenderpans and side covers though.

Wow, that is some rough paint! Let's hope that the PO was a mechanical guy that didn't have time to wash/clean. I'll sit on the porch with Army and learn a few things.

Reactions: N2 Tractors

·
Registered
572 Posts
A trick to removing powder coating is to take a torch or weed burner and blacken the powder to the point it is slightly charred. It will then blast off much easier. This hardens the powder and keeps the sand from bouncing off while blasting. Just be careful on the thinner sheet metal to not warp it. Any metal that is going to be powder coated should be sand blasted to give it a rougher surface to adhere to. Companies try to skip this process and it doesn’t work, as you all have seen the results with the Deere items. They also make a high build powder that helps fill in pitting to improve the finish product. I have learned a lot from all the rzr cages I have had done by my local powder guy.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Get out your test light/meter and start running the rabbit on power out from the battery. Also check the contacts on the back of your ignition switch and state of all other connectors...juice can't flow where juice can't go.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Not sure when she will be getting her new make up. 1st things first. Get it to crank over to see what’s what. I asked P.O. if the engine had a thrown rod and he said he did not know. He got it about a year ago or so with intentions of restoring it. I asked if it would at least fire over if I put a squirt of gas in the intake opening and he said I was more than welcome to try. The mystery at hand is what’s causing the starter to not energize. From reading the service manual no_quarter linked in the second post, it looks as if this tractor just misses the serial number break where the brake pedal needs to be applied. So no brake pedal switch in the equation and won’t have to depress the brakes every time to start the tractor which is good for me. Less things to worry about failing in the future.

The battery light stays lit up when the key is turned to the on position. Tech manual says to charge the battery and recheck or go to 1p for testing. Lots of test procedures just for getting the engine to crank. I have to get the trailer rental back by 10:30 so no time to dive into this atm.

Thank you for this :)

Good catch N2! It's gonna be a beauty. You are gonna have so much fun fixing it up. Sometimes it won't seem that way but as well all know setbacks and frustrations are a necessary part of the process. I don't know 318's very well so I'll just sit back on cheer you on. Unless you need advice on what color it should be painted.

Chuck..what would we do without you? You remind me of a guy I went to high school with. He loved manuals and charts and indexes and schematics. I could kick his ass changing spark plugs though! :p
Always happy to hear your stories and thank you 😊

Previous owner has a little shop and does repairs. Had several Deere’s lined up along the fence line. I got some 140 parts from him as well. Gas tank and one tank strap, front grill, muffler, mule drive, a couple of cylinder heads and an engine tin or two. Might be more that is slipping my mind atm. He makes house calls and does repairs. The story is he never got around to messing with this one. He also had a square fender 112 hydro lift for sale as well.

Deere had issues with their powder coat in '89, maybe other years too! My '89 322 looked about the same! The PO power washed it and that took a LOT of paint off... including the model no. plate w/serial number! Bob
When I go to dress it up I’ll use regular paint. Not interested in powder coating anything in my lifetime.

Is this one of the powder coated Deere? (LOL, answered while I was asking, thanks @rwmeyer ) Should be a fun project.

Oh and the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a good choice.:D
Good eye. I’m sure I’d have no problem sharing a few with you. That is the normal beverage on hand

I had a 5spd white 98 GT stang That had that paint peeling problem. Arg.

Get out your test light/meter and start running the rabbit on power out from the battery. Also check the contacts on the back of your ignition switch and state of all other connectors...juice can't flow where juice can't go.
Yes this one looks like it will be fun “Rollie eyes 👀”

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
A trick to removing powder coating is to take a torch or weed burner and blacken the powder to the point it is slightly charred. It will then blast off much easier. This hardens the powder and keeps the sand from bouncing off while blasting.
That's a good one. Filed for future reference (y)

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
These old girls can be made to look pretty again. Here are photos of my 1991 as purchased
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Lawn mower Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Riding mower
I cleaned up the tractor to use for mowing my yard. Following photos are interim with rattle can paint job.
Lawn mower Riding mower Wheel Tire Vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
And after full restoration.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire Wheel Tire Tractor Green Lawn mower
They are worth it. Members want to see how you update this back row beauty.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I have been busy all day. Too busy to play with this night of the living dead prom queen. Went looking to see what was available locally. Looking for a couple of Avacado trees. Thinking I want a Carmen "Hass" and a Gem avacado. I did see a couple of decent little trees at lowes today. Not the ones I am looking for though :/. One had flower buds as well as a baby cado about the size of a small marble.
So after that I got to doing some spring cleaning. Army has the right idea. Get rid of clutter and simplify life. Oh yeah I also purchased a couple of vine type of flowers at the depot. They will need a couple of trellises so those will get built soon too.

Pics of the little 80 Cart holding what little bit of the yard I purchased last summer of the happy hippie planter soul mix. Also of the trailer I'm cleaning to take trash down tomorrow on free dump day. Never mind the clutter in the back ground. It won't be there much longer.

Oh and a pic of some of junk going bye bye in the morning.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These old girls can be made to look pretty again. Here are photos of my 1991 as purchased
View attachment 265563 View attachment 265564
I cleaned up the tractor to use for mowing my yard. Following photos are interim with rattle can paint job.
View attachment 265565 View attachment 265566
And after full restoration.
View attachment 265567 View attachment 265568
They are worth it. Members want to see how you update this back row beauty.
Thank you Gabby. That one reminds me of the 316 Hammerdown restored for his SOL half a decade ago. RIP Hammerdown.

That paint job came out beautiful btw. What paint did you use? Hardener? Pimer?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I forgot to mention. I was looking over the heard today and realized out of the two 316's one of them is not powder coated. So I may end up using the tins from that tractor when NOTLD-PQ gets her make over. I have a couple of grills as well so I pretty much have a complete tractor. I can hardly wait to use the 30 Hydro tiller to get the front yard replanted with fresh grass seen.

Did I forget to mention I have a 2spd Locking Diff out of a 420 I purchased from either here or MTF? Yeah I may end up putting the locking rear end in this as well. I'm going to be so happy to have a locking rear end with a loader on a little GT.

I've been wanting to put the bigger loader on the Wheel Horse D250 on the 420 but that thing needs a motor and more fabrication to make that work. I can't be with out a loader for too long. I can't tell you how handy it is having a loader when it comes to moving heavy objects.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts