41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Nothing so fancy. When I was a kid in the late 80's, early 90's my father set up an email address for me, and came up with that name as a joke about my hair color. I've been using a variant of it ever since.

·
Premium Member
8,398 Posts
Toehead,

The right way to do this is to use a reinforcement ring -- Deere used to sell these as M91364 but they seem to be NLA now...and appears to be replaced by part # M153372. They are not cheap at about $20each as seen here: and are becoming rare themselves.

Other members of this forum have made their own,and doing this is far superior to using washers at each hole.

deck spindle reinforcement.jpg

Chuck

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Toehead,

The right way to do this is to use a reinforcement ring

Roger that. That's something I can handle fabricating in the shop, and I think I have enough stock. .

Do they weld them onto the deck or is it a bolt-on affair? If welded i'd be a little concerned about crevice corrosion between the layers.

It'll be more fun to try making than to shell out 60 bucks :)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
No hands on experience, but I believe they're bolt on. If your concerned with corrosion, get a can of spay can undercoating at auto parts store. Spray LIBERALLY to plate and bolt on with spindle. If you have a choice, get 1/4" thick plate. Also, get button head screws (Fastenal) to attach and grind a healthy chamfer around the OD. This will help with air flow under the deck. Bob

·
Premium Member
8,398 Posts
All applications I have seen are welded...and 0.100 to 0.125 material should be plenty.

·
Premium Member
8,398 Posts
I found where Andre B posted on his welded on rings -- the embedded link had pictures but they no longer work however.

#3 Apr 23, 2017 (Edited)

This is the plate I made for mine but I add more holes for weld the plate to the deck, not shown.
They are visible on this link provide by Chuck.
http://www.wfmachines.com/forums/sh...ling-mower-deck?highlight=reinforcement+plate
Also I weld them all around the outside but not inside the big hole for the spindle.
With the extra thickness I had to use longer bolts for the spindles.
I used standard hex bolts, very strong, they fit, with 2 layers of thick and strong washers.
JD Mower deck plates.jpg
I was unable to upload picture from the private mailbox.
Andre

Here is a larger view of the drawing --
deck spindle reinforcement drawing from Andre' .jpg

Hope this helps...

Chuck

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
That's what I'd be doing too.

Nothing so fancy. When I was a kid in the late 80's, early 90's my father set up an email address for me, and came up with that name as a joke about my hair color. I've been using a variant of it ever since.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I miss Andre. He's a smart easy going guy and contributed a lot here at WFM. Same as you Sir Charles.. (y)

I found where Andre B posted on his welded on rings -- the embedded link had pictures but they no longer work however.

·
Registered
1989 318
175 Posts
I like the drawings of the weld-on rings! There is a website called Emachineshop.com where you can design parts in 3D (Free software) and they will make parts for you. I use the software to make parts on my 3D printer. Rather than Hijacking this thread, I will start a new thread to explain how it works in case anyone out there is curious.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Got my hydro parts, installed and adjusted the hydro. It'll stop now when you press the brake, and there is much less play in the linkage (still a bit, but manageable and doesn't really affect much).

·
Registered
1989 318
175 Posts
After reading the new operators manual that I just picked up for my 318 I saw that when you pushed on the brake it would move the hydro control to neutral. Genius! Those clever JD engineers.I have not yet tried it on mine.

·
Registered
630 Posts
After reading the new operators manual that I just picked up for my 318 I saw that when you pushed on the brake it would move the hydro control to neutral. Genius! Those clever JD engineers.I have not yet tried it on mine.
Of course Deere had to think of that for the 318, near wrecked my 317 stomping on the brakes trying to park it and turns out they’re separate linkages unlike the 185...

·
Registered
1989 318
175 Posts
I have owned 2 hydro tractors, one a Cub Cadet and my JD300. I always stopped them using the hydro control, never the brake pedal. It never even dawned on me that the 318 brake would put the hydro in neutral. Crazy!

·
Super Moderator
3,693 Posts
I have owned 2 hydro tractors, one a Cub Cadet and my JD300. I always stopped them using the hydro control, never the brake pedal. It never even dawned on me that the 318 brake would put the hydro in neutral. Crazy!
I have a 318 with 44 loader. You are controlling speed, steering and hydraulic functions with two hands. That feature of the brake putting the hydro in neutral has been a very helpful feature.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts