Weekend Freedom Machines banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Wifey nixed the plow (for now), but i've been tinkering on the tractor. PTO is rebuilt, deck is getting there (still need to fabricate the backing rings).

Latest thing: It's hard to start in the cold, so I pulled the glow plug leads and ohmed out the glow plugs after confirming that I am getting about 11 volts applied when the key is cycled. One is open circuit. and the others are good but a little worn externally (snapped the wire connection thread off due to rust).

I ordered 4 NGK Y103V plugs (got the cross reference from another thread on this site) for about 5 dollars and change per plug. They'll be at the parts store first thing in the morning. I'll change them out and hope for a lot easier starting.

I also put a new fuel filter and housing on as mine was leaking from the press-fit nipple on the outlet. The replacement has one piece construction, so they recognized the design flaw and corrected it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sorry to hear that about plow, but come spring they are cheaper, I did see another for 350 in east brookfield ma.

Sounds like your 330 will be a smooth running machine come spring.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
New glow plugs are in. Needed to grind down a socket to clear the lines and valve covers, but the machine started right up in 10 degree weather. I'll put this one in the win column.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I've got an H2/levers/lines from a 318 sitting in my workshop, and I am wondering about upgrading this 330 to H2. I've seen some threads about this upgrade, but nothing indicating specifically how much fabrication is needed for this swap.

Has anybody here done this, and have some pointers/caveats for me?

·
Registered
634 Posts
There are quite a few threads on this.
Heres a very good one, its adding h3 but same amount of work.

Being it's the same amount of work, consider going with h3. I added it to my 318, using the linked thread for help. It's on the want list for my 332 also.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
620 Posts
I've got an H2/levers/lines from a 318 sitting in my workshop, and I am wondering about upgrading this 330 to H2. I've seen some threads about this upgrade, but nothing indicating specifically how much fabrication is needed for this swap.

Has anybody here done this, and have some pointers/caveats for me?
I added H2 hydraulics to my 330 I purchased a kit from a tractor vendor . Other than struggling with a tight space the addition isn't too difficult . Getting all lines tight is a struggle as you are turning the nuts very small revolutions because of the space available . But the end result is more capability with the additional hydraulics .

·
Registered
351 Posts
I added H2 hydraulics to my 330 I purchased a kit from a tractor vendor . Other than struggling with a tight space the addition isn't too difficult . Getting all lines tight is a struggle as you are turning the nuts very small revolutions because of the space available . But the end result is more capability with the additional hydraulics .
When I added PS to my 140, I had to make a couple wrenches to get to everything. That was after buying a set of crowsfoot wrenches as well. The fun one, was cutting a slot into a 12 pt combo wrench, so it was like a line wrench. Then I cut it off at an angle and welded it back together so "it could get around a corner". I think I bent a line wrench too, back before I figured out the crow's foot wrenches.

One of the nice things about having some throw away wrenches around. No guilt cutting them up and modifying them.

Reactions: Toehead

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Agreed! If you have a welder, grinder, and cutting wheel, you can make almost any tool you need :)

Thanks all for the pointers. I'll probably wait just a bit on this upgrade, as it's a little more involved that I want to get into in my unheated shop where the tractor is currently parked. I've got a bike taking up space in the heated area, but it's going to be gone soon and I'll move the tractor over there.

For now I've been trying to find some stock big enough to make those deck backing rings (5.5" needed) . The widest I currently have in my shop is 3". Buying it online is nearly as expensive as just buying the Deere M153372. I'll hit some scrap metal places and see if I can find something suitable.

·
Premium Member
8,398 Posts
Towhead,

This giant flat washer looks like it would be a very good start as base material for the deck backing ring...and cost effective at under $3 each... These are rather thick at 5/16 inch, but maybe that is OK if you use longer bolts.

Chuck

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Towhead,

This giant flat washer looks like it would be a very good start as base material for the deck backing ring...and cost effective at under $3 each... These are rather thick at 5/16 inch, but maybe that is OK if you use longer bolts.

Chuck
Chuck,

You're a handy guy to have around! I looked at all my usual suppliers and most didn't have anything quite that big in stock, at least for prices that made it worthwhile to me (fastenall wants 15 $ per washer, Mcmaster doesn't have them, etc).

That's a great lead, and I appreciate it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I ordered the washers and had a tracking number within an hour, so they are an efficient operation as well.

Thanks again, will report back when I get them.

-Brendan

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Washers arrived (I have no idea how they manage to sell these for 2.89$ each) and they are perfect for this. I cut them to the right shape on the bandsaw, cleaned them up on the disc grinder, then made a stack of them on the mill and drilled the holes through all so that they are close to identical.

A little phosphoric acid etching primer and followed by undercoat and I am in business. (I cut the bolts down after this image; I bought the only carriage bolts in the store that were long enough, but they were too long).

·
Premium Member
8,398 Posts
Brendan,

Those worked out really well !!! Did you also weld them down to the deck or just use them to clamp against the spindle housings? I can imagine that welding such thick spacers to the thin deck material could be a challenge...

Maybe the moderators here can put this washer vendor and this thread in the FAQ so other members can make use of these washers as deck reinforcement -- sure beats the Deere price tag! might have to split out the info in another more concise thread on this single subject.

Chuck

·
Registered
634 Posts
That some nice work, toehead.
Any chance you feel like making 3 more, lol.
I could use a set.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Thanks all!,

Chuck, I can make a separate thread if you think that would be helpful for inclusion in the FAQ. I'd love to contribute something back!

Skwirl,

I can make some more if you are in a tough spot, let me know.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Spent some time cleaning up a crusty used belly pan I got off of ebay for a really good price.
Most of the perforations were clogged/rusted.

Some time with a MAPP torch and wire brush and they are all clear.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I'd do little more with a wire brush, then a rust converter paint to prevent future corrosion. A couple of top coats and you're all set. Bob

Reactions: Toehead

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Done and done ;)

I really like the phosphoric acid-based primers/ rust converters. I've had excellent luck with them over the years.

The only thing better is evaporust ! :)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Nice. Your belly screen looks like the used one I got on the auction site for my 322...mine was off of a 330, which was a little different, but it still worked. After I cleaned, descaled and de-rusted the pan as best as I could I hit it with a light coat of self-etching primer...which also does a good job of stopping rust. Then applied a couple of light coats of black rattle-can paint...Rustoleum black rust stopper or something like that. No worries so far.
I learned about the self-etching primer back when I was tinkering with and restoring antique outboard motors.
Keep us updated as you go further with your 330, and pix are always welcome.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts